Missing one half of CPU power!!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Nov 25, 2005.

  1. After some troubleshooting of a WIN XP 64 bit install, I run into a extremely
    frustrating problem. After Windows is up and running, I lose half of my CPU
    performance! I can't recall that it did this on the first boot to Windows,
    but sooner
    or later the same problem occurs. It is random as far as I can tell (once
    started). It
    and IE 64 bit or 32 bit may be related. I am on IE when it first occurs. But
    regardles of what happens after that, it can't be stopped! The mouse becomes
    sluggish, as well as Windows. When I Ctrl-Alt-Del to the windows task
    manager, under the performance tab 50% of my CPU preformance is being used!
    So, I switch to the processes tab to find and hopefully delete the culprit
    when it reports 99% CPU performance is in the "System Idle Process". My CPU
    runs at 100F or 38 C, so I pretty sure it should not be throttling. On top of
    all of this, it is random in occurance: it goes on and off, lasts an hour or
    30 seconds. My specs are below:

    Here are my specs:

    P4 3.73 Ghz 1066Mhz FSB
    4GB 533 Mhz RAM
    ABIT Fatal1ty AA8XE Mobo
    2x 10K RPM (Raptors) by WD in RAID 0 of 70 GB each
    1 7200 RPM 280 GB by Seagate
    Included Realtek HD Audio card (daughter)
    HIS Radeon X850 XT PE

    My antivirus software is Avast! home edition, which is compatible for 64 bit
    edition windows. It has a resident scanner for scanning whatever pages I load
    on the internet. Also, I have Microsoft Antspyware Beta, could this be a
    problem?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    hyperlight
    =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Nov 25, 2005

  2. hmm, do this for me, remove Microsoft AntiSpyware and tell me if your
    performance changes? A lot of persons have reported issues with MSAS slowing
    down their computer badly and uninstalling it, things were back to normal.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 25, 2005

  3. Now see, I'd have suggested Avast! first.

    But a better way to proceed -- Open Taskmanager, and look at RAM and CPU
    usage by process. Let's try actually troubleshooting a bit first. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 25, 2005
  4. If the 'System Idle Process' is using 99%, the machine is doing nothing.
    That means it uses all the time to check if it needs to do anything, this is
    quite normal, so no process can be slowing down your machine. What you are
    seeing, then, is something else.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Nov 26, 2005
  5. To all,

    Thanks for the suggestions, I have looked at CPU usage by process when this
    occurs, and the idle process is getting 99%, (unless I am trying to do
    something else). I didn't look at the RAM usage yet. What should I be looking
    for?

    Something the idle process is doing is taking half of my CPU power, or the
    processes list is lying. I have tried uninstalling avast! before, but not
    Microsoft Antispyware. I will let you know if it works. If I remember
    correctly, there were a few times I had this problem on the first load(s) of
    the OS! But the uninstall of MAS may change things.

    Thanks again,

    hyperlight
    =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Nov 30, 2005
  6. System Idle Process is more like a place holder. The higher it is the more
    responsive your machine should be. A high System Idle Process percentage is
    a good thing. Are you sure that you have all the latest drivers installed?

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 30, 2005
  7. To all:

    Shortly after uninstalling MAS (Microsoft Antispyware), the bug came back
    again. Process numbers (of significance): Idle process (99%), with the
    occasional 1-5% from tasmgr.exe, explorer.exe or some other program. The
    others I will look up if I have a chance and make sure they are not some
    faulty driver or something. Of my total memory, 3407228 K recognized by OS
    (physically there is 4 GB, it is a known Mobo glitch), 2980204 K available
    and 2239336 K for the "system cache".

    Something of note: my task manager allows me to have a separate graph PER
    CPU. (View>CPU History>One graph per CPU in task manager). Two graphs are
    shown in this mode. One is at 100% while the other is near 0% when the bug
    occurs! This averages to 50% on the regular graph. Since it is all in one
    "CPU" does it mean anything significant?

    Thanks yet again,

    hyperlight
    =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Nov 30, 2005
  8. If this is a dual-core, is there a cpu driver you need to install?

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 30, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:23:07 -0700, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote:

    >If this is a dual-core, is there a cpu driver you need to install?

    And a motherboard BIOS-upgrade?

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Nov 30, 2005
  10. There is no particular CPU driver to my knowledge. According to the Mobo
    manufacturer, (ABIT), the Fatal1ty AA8XE should be totally compatible in
    version 14 of the BIOS. My specific chip, P4 EE @ 3.73 Ghz is deemed "OK" for
    my Mobo. I am around 99% sure I am at version 14 of the BIOS.

    There is no driver necessary for my processor, but I think I found an update
    for my chipset. I hope that fixes the problem. To my knowledge, all of my
    drivers are 64-bit. The only thing out of the ordinary was that I needed a
    Microsoft "hotfix" for a "Microsoft UAA bus driver for high definition
    audio". After that I installed the 64-bit driver for my realtek HD audio.

    Again, thanks,

    hyperlight
    =?Utf-8?B?SHlwZXJsaWdodA==?=, Dec 2, 2005