Missing NTLDR, etc on Win XP Pro,Tried everything, HELP!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by James, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. James

    James Guest

    The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
    Hard Drive.

    Here is the story, Folks.

    1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.

    2. Rebooted.

    3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
    damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.

    4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
    bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
    that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
    because of the errors.

    5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.

    6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".

    At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
    both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
    console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.

    Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.

    I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in another
    Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of the
    drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
    corrupted and unreadable".

    Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I need
    access to ASAP. Please email me directly at if possible.

    Thank you,
    James
    James, Jan 12, 2005