Missing Network Connection Icon

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by EdrickV, May 2, 2005.

  1. EdrickV

    EdrickV Guest

    The icon for my Belkin USB wireless ethernet adapter is missing from
    Network Connections and the system tray. I have already gone through the
    steps in KB article 825826 and they did not help at all. I have
    uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter multiple times. It is not
    showing up as having a problem in device manager, and when I use the
    Belkin utility I can connect to the wireless network and internet just
    fine. If I use WZC, I can't tell it to connect to my network (since the
    icon is not in the system tray) and so I can't use it with WZC. I looked
    in the registry and found a network adapter list here:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    That looks like it is what Network Connections uses. There is one entry
    for my onboard ethernet card (which shows up) but no entry for my Belkin
    USB adapter. It looks like, when reinstalling the driver, something is
    stopping Windows from putting that info in the registry. Does anyone
    have any ideas about what I can do to fix this? It was working just fine
    for a while, but now without that icon showing up I can't use ICS which
    I have been using to get my PS2 online for a while.

    As a sidenote, Home Networking Wizard doesn't seem to do anything, but
    that may be because it only sees one network adapter. ICS is also not
    working and not available in the advanced tab on the LAN properties,
    presumably for the same reason.

    EdrickV, May 2, 2005

  2. EdrickV

    Des Guest

    "EdrickV" <> wrote in message
    > The icon for my Belkin USB wireless ethernet adapter is missing from
    > Network Connections and the system tray. I have already gone through the
    > steps in KB article 825826 and they did not help at all. I have
    > uninstalled and reinstalled the adapter multiple times. It is not
    > showing up as having a problem in device manager, and when I use the
    > Belkin utility I can connect to the wireless network and internet just
    > fine. If I use WZC, I can't tell it to connect to my network (since the
    > icon is not in the system tray) and so I can't use it with WZC. I looked
    > in the registry and found a network adapter list here:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-1
    1CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    > That looks like it is what Network Connections uses. There is one entry
    > for my onboard ethernet card (which shows up) but no entry for my Belkin
    > USB adapter. It looks like, when reinstalling the driver, something is
    > stopping Windows from putting that info in the registry. Does anyone
    > have any ideas about what I can do to fix this? It was working just fine
    > for a while, but now without that icon showing up I can't use ICS which
    > I have been using to get my PS2 online for a while.
    >
    > As a sidenote, Home Networking Wizard doesn't seem to do anything, but
    > that may be because it only sees one network adapter. ICS is also not
    > working and not available in the advanced tab on the LAN properties,
    > presumably for the same reason.

    Mine did that as well, I ran the utility from 'programmes' and I had somehow
    unchecked 'show wireless icon in systray' that sorted that one!
    On my laptop ME claimed the pcmcia Belkin adapter wasn't there with the home
    networking wizard but worked fine apart from that! yet with a Belkin PCI
    card on the PC it was recognised, so I put it down to M$......
    Now I have 2K on the laptop it has made it a lot simpler and 'other'
    programmes recognise the wireless card when ME didn't

    Des

    Des

    Des, May 2, 2005

  3. Your problem was not the same as mine, and I am not using Me or 2k either so
    that does not help.

    =?Utf-8?B?RWRyaWNrVg==?=, May 2, 2005
  4. START > RUN > type "DEVMGMT.MSC"

    This will open the device management mmc snap-in. Expand the tree for
    "Network adapters." What state is the Belkin USB adapter in?

    1) Not present.
    2) Yellow Warning sign
    3) Red "X"
    4) Normal

    --
    Jerry Peterson
    Windows Network Services - Wireless

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], May 16, 2005
  5. The Belkin adapter is listed and working fine as far as device manager can
    tell. That was of course one of the first things I checked, and removing it
    and reinstalling has had no effect on getting the icon back in network
    connections.

    =?Utf-8?B?RWRyaWNrVg==?=, May 17, 2005
  6. Ok I'll chalk that down as a number 4.

    The device is not present in the network connections folder, and it is not
    present in the system tray. Let's try to find out what is interferring with
    the adapter. Before we start creating and parsing log files, can you answer
    the following questions?

    What is the model number and the driver version of the Belkin adapter?
    What version of the operating system are you using? (ex: XP SP2)
    Are the Belkin wireless utilities installed?

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], May 17, 2005
  7. Model number: F5D6050
    Model number: 2.9.8.331
    Firmware version: 0.100.5.78
    Belkin Wireless LAN Monitor Utility version: 3.1.4.22
    Windows XP SP1a

    The drivers are the most recent version off the Belkin site. It used to work
    just fine, I'm not really sure when it stopped because I don't normally have
    to mess with it. And the adapter and internet connection through it, as I
    mentioned before, are working. All that's missing is the Network Connections
    interface to it. When setup to use Wireless Zero it showed up as a wireless
    network adapter, when setup to use Belkin's utility it looked like a wired
    network adapter in Network Connections as I recall. A friend of mine has the
    same wireless adapter and has been using it with XP for a while without these
    symptoms. Right now I have it setup to use the Belkin utilities because
    otherwise I can't tell it to connect to our wireless network. I have tried
    uninstalling and reinstalling it both ways but it did not help.

    =?Utf-8?B?RWRyaWNrVg==?=, May 18, 2005
  8. The Belkin driver may not be properly implemented. What version of Windows
    XP is your friend using? There was a update to the SP1wireless client in
    November of 2003 that may have exposed a bug in the Belkin driver. XP SP2
    may include a work around for this problem.

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], May 31, 2005
  9. My friend has been using regular Windows XP (he has had a lot of major
    upgrades and hardware problems and doesn't have SP1 on his most recent
    install, though I think he may have had SP1 installed a while ago.) If a
    Windows Update change was the cause, I think it's probably something newer
    then 2003 because I had it working for a while and, as I recall, one of the
    first things I did after installing (this year) was go through Windows Update
    getting caught up (except for SP2 which I really don't like) and getting
    SP1a. Have been testing the adapter with my XP Home SP1 laptop. Not sure how
    up to date it was, but I installed using Belkin's method (where Windows
    thinks the adapter is wired and Belkin's utility controls the connection) and
    went through Windows Update twice so far with no issues.

    =?Utf-8?B?RWRyaWNrVg==?=, Jun 1, 2005
  10. So if you uninstall the Belkin utility and then reinstall the driver would
    the wireless tab return?

    Jerry Peterson[MSFT], Jun 6, 2005
  11. No idea what you're talking about and my reply seems to have gotten lost.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling has had no effect on my desktop as I have been
    saying.

    =?Utf-8?B?RWRyaWNrVg==?=, Jun 23, 2005