    two of them, and despite everything I have tried to set up the network
    nothing seems to work.
    Any help or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.
    =?Utf-8?B?SXZhbmhvZQ==?=, Dec 23, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SXZhbmhvZQ==?=

    Malke Guest

    Ivanhoe wrote:

    > I have several desktops & Laptops connected to my home wireless network
    > through a Speedtouch Router. My problem is that, although all machines
    > can access the Web perfectly through the router, they don't seem able to
    > communicate with each other. "My Network Places" isn't displayed on at
    > least two of them, and despite everything I have tried to set up the
    > network nothing seems to work.
    > Any help or suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

    Since I don't know what "everything I have tried" entails, here's my
    standard cut/paste for networking problems. To get My Network Places on the
    Desktop, go to the Display applet>Desktop>Customize Desktop.

    This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the Network
    Setup Wizard on all computers, making sure to enable File & Printer
    Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2
    Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an
    antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts
    as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall software,
    configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually
    do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
    File Sharing enabled.

    Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
    anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
    This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
    situation.

    home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share folders
    inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
    Documents folder.

    If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
    MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
    pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers