Missing memory in Vista-64!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by AJL, Feb 6, 2008.

  1. AJL

    AJL Guest

    Hello everyone. I know this subject has been touched on ad nauseam, but I
    still can't seem to get the full 4 gigs of RAM to appear in Windows Vista
    Ultimate 64-bit.
    I am using
    K9A2 Platinum motherboard BIOS revision 1.1
    AMD Phenom 9600 BE 2.3 Ghz
    Corsair XMS2 TwinX4096 (2x2gig) (Unganged)
    2X Seagate 7200 RPM 250 gig (RAID 0)
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB
    Soundblaster X-fi Gamer.

    Everything is booting fine, but windows still shows only 3.25 gigs of RAM.
    Under system information in the BIOS, 4096MB is displayed. There is a
    setting under Advance DRAM configuration in the BIOS that says Software
    Memory Hole Remap. Whether or not I enable or disable it, I still only see
    3.25 gigs in my system. I have also tried to use the ganged (dual channel)
    setting for my memory in the BIOS and it changes nothing. I have a Gigabyte
    790FX board I could throw in and see if I see the same problem, but I really
    feel there must be a simpler solution for the MSI board.
    I do see in windows system info that the amount of memory missing is almost
    equal to the video memory present in my video card. It seems that memory is
    taking up the address space, and then the rest of my system RAM isn't
    remapping about the 4 gig limit. The board states it supports 8 gigs and
    thememory says it was designed for 64-bit OS's. Maybe a BIOS update is all I
    need? There is a 1.2 revision available, but that will apply the dreaded TLB
    patch to my Phenom. Any ideas, experience with this?

    Thanks!

    -Alan J. Lueke

    AJL, Feb 6, 2008

  2. AJL

    Theo Guest

    I would definitely suggest trying a BIOS update. I have a
    Biostar TA770 A2+ running Vista x64 Business on 8GB (4x2GB)
    and all of it is recognized. I have not implemented the
    remapping either.

    Also, your system should be utilizing your memory in the
    Dual-Channel mode (also noted as Ganged). One of Biostar's
    editions of the BIOS would not support 'ganged' but the
    latest does.

    Theo, Feb 6, 2008

  3. AJL

    Mark Guest

    If setting the Memory Hole Remap doesn't fix it, I'd consider a BIOS update.

    Mark, Feb 6, 2008
  4. That's a wierd one to see with x64. If I didn't know better I would be
    tempted to ask what your system properties page is showing for the operating
    system (x86 or x64). It does sound like your BIOS thinks you are running
    x86.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 6, 2008