    reinstall that without having to wipe out all my programs, files, etc. I
    have already tried system restores and "start" restores (or whatever that
    tool is called in the recovery console.
    jeffreywilens, Feb 20, 2008

  2. jeffreywilens

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Jeffrey.

    First question: What do the BSODs say? Verbatim. At least the STOP code.
    Don't bother with the boilerplate ("If this is the first time..."); we've
    all seen that so many times we just about have it memorized. But the Stop
    code and the line of hex codes following it, plus any drivers or other files
    mentioned, can tell a techie (not me!) a lot about what is causing your
    problem.

    If the BSODs are different each time, it usually indicates a problem with
    hardware, not Vista or other software.

    Only 30 days old? Take it back to the vendor and demand one that works!

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Feb 20, 2008

  3. jeffreywilens

    John Barnes Guest

    memtest.exe is available on your Vista install disk in the boot folder.
    Execute from there.

    John Barnes, Feb 20, 2008
  4. jeffreywilens

    John Barnes Guest

    You should also be able to copy it over to your Vista system with proper
    permissions.

    John Barnes, Feb 20, 2008
  5. RC White: Yes I realize there are serious issues, maybe hardware and I have
    all the BSODs and in fact sent them to Microsoft last night for analysis.
    Nothing conclusive yet.

    Meanwhile, I wanted to run the memtest.exe tool myself.

    John Barnes: Thanks. I tried to run the memtest.exe tool from the boot
    folder on the Vista disk while in the Vista desktop. But I get this error
    message:

    The E:\boot\memtest.exe application cannot be run in Win32 mode.

    Does the Vista memory diagnostic run with Vista 64 or not?

    jeffreywilens, Feb 20, 2008
  6. jeffreywilens

    John Barnes Guest

    Run it from the DVD at a command prompt. Download and run Memtest86 if you
    can't use your Vista one. Google to find and you can load on a CD or floppy
    to run.

    John Barnes, Feb 20, 2008
  7. I booted into command prompt using the Windows Installation disk startup
    tools. However, when I located memtest.exe on the DVD drive, it would not
    run. What is the proper DOS command to get it to run. I tried "memtest.exe"
    in the correct directory on the boot folder but it just said something about
    not being to execute that. I also tried "run memtest.exe" but "run" is not a
    proper command.

    I don't think Memtest86 accurately works with over 2GB of RAM. I tried the
    old Windows XP memory diagnostic tool and I get a warning message that the
    memory map shows over 4 GB of RAM (I only have 4 GB) although it still lets
    me test the memory (but I am not sure how accurately).

    jeffreywilens, Feb 22, 2008