    Gabriel Lozano-Morán
    The .NET Aficionado
    http://www.pointerx.net

    Gabriel Lozano-Morán, Jun 13, 2006

  2. You do realize that there are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of IE in XP
    Pro x64 don't you? Which one are you using?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 13, 2006

  3. Gabriel Lozano-Morán

    John Barnes Guest

    Make sure you are using the IE32 not IE64. Links from OE launch IE64. On
    IE32 you will have the infobar 1 time for each activex control that is not
    on your system, if you agree to install them, the message will no longer
    appear and the installed activex control will be used by the page. On IE64,
    you should get the message each visit as the installs are not available to
    IE64 pages.

    John Barnes, Jun 14, 2006
  4. Oh my god, I finally figured out what the problem was, this took me an
    entire day to solve it:

    I was running under an account with limited privileges and apparently you
    don't get to see the infobar when you do. When I choose either the 32-bit or
    64-bit version and "Run As..." an account with admin privileges I would get
    to see the informationbar. The last couple of weeks I have been running
    under this limited account as Microsoft recommends this for security
    reasons. But I have so many problems with all kinds of software:

    - Games that have anticheat protection don't work
    - Can't use Nero or any other burning software to burn CD's/DVD's because
    you need admin rights to access these low level drivers
    - Several third party applications simple don't launch without telling why
    - ...

    I just hope that once Windows Vista will be released we won't have the same
    problems. Because this will push users into falling in the same bad habits
    of running accounts with higher privilegs just to make the software work.

    --
    Gabriel Lozano-Morán
    The .NET Aficionado

    Gabriel Lozano-Morán, Jun 14, 2006
  5. Gabriel Lozano-Morán

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 02:07:02 +0200, "Gabriel Lozano-Morán"
    <> wrote:

    >But I have so many problems with all kinds of software:
    >
    >- Games that have anticheat protection don't work

    Oh, I had Punkbuster working here. What program are you talking about? I
    think I needed to install an update though. It's been a while....

    >- Can't use Nero or any other burning software to burn CD's/DVD's because
    >you need admin rights to access these low level drivers

    Did you set the burning-rights within Nero for the various users?

    >- Several third party applications simple don't launch without telling why

    Pain in the bum..... Maybe they rely on 32-bit drivers?

    >I just hope that once Windows Vista will be released we won't have the same
    >problems.

    For Vista questions, please visit.... ;-)

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, Jun 15, 2006