    thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
    for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
    normal one entry each. Any ideas?
    chad, Nov 21, 2006

  2. chad

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 06:53:32 -0800, chad Has Frothed:

    > I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
    > except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
    > thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
    > for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
    > normal one entry each. Any ideas?

    Are they on the same network?

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 21, 2006

  3. "chad" posted this esurient inquiry in

    > I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
    > except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
    > thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
    > for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
    > normal one entry each. Any ideas?

    Of course! And *you* have come *to* the right-place *from* the right place
    for a comprehensive and dead-on precisely targeted zero-bytes solution to
    your vague-as-Sasquatch's-nuts problem with a business network environment.

    Hire a competent IT tech.

    Or maybe someone here is in their generous spirit, it is close to Christmas
    after all.

    --

    To me, truth is not some vague and/or foggy notion.
    Truth *is* real! And, at the same time - unreal.

    This is "truth," to me.
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 21, 2006
  4. chad

    chad Guest

    Yes they are.

    chad, Nov 22, 2006
  5. chad

    chad Guest

    Maybe you need to switch to decaf. Just a thought....

    chad, Nov 22, 2006
  6. >> "chad" applied for extreme makeover home editon in

    >> > I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
    >> > except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
    >> > thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
    >> > for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only
    >> > ther normal one entry each. Any ideas?

    > Bucky Breeder wrote:
    >>
    >> Of course! And *you* have come *to* the right-place *from* the right
    >> place for a comprehensive and dead-on precisely targeted zero-bytes
    >> solution to your vague-as-Sasquatch's-nuts problem with a business
    >> network environment.
    >>
    >> Hire a competent IT tech.
    >>
    >> Or maybe someone here is in their generous spirit, it is close to
    >> Christmas after all.

    "chad" recorded this putatively libellous content in

    > Maybe you need to switch to decaf. Just a thought....

    Suggestions from the missing-icon guy are always appreciated. Thanks.

    Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday season.

    --

    If trees could scream,
    would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 22, 2006
  7. chad

    Top Guest

    It happens that Bucky Breeder formulated :

    > Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday
    > season.

    Same to you and yours Bucko!

    Top
    Top, Nov 22, 2006
  8. chad

    chad Guest

    Bucky is kinda funny! "The Missing Icon Guy" ...I love it!

    chad, Nov 22, 2006
  9. "chad" posted this esurient inquiry in

    > I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
    > except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
    > thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
    > for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
    > normal one entry each. Any ideas?

    > Top wrote:
    >
    > [some Christmas blessings and a short prayer for World peace]

    "chad" posted this persistent and seemingly esurient inquiry
    in news::

    > Bucky is kinda funny! "The Missing Icon Guy" ...I love it!

    Hello again "chad". I love the way you guys from the web interfaces all have
    a mommie named Pap or Top or Tip or Yuk that comes out in your stead and
    heaps a pile of righteous indignation almost instantly, like they were your
    twin or alter-ego from the series "Hero" you know, like that bad-ass blonde
    lady that you really don't want to piss off. Only she's not a retard...

    Look, I believe you have User Account issues, and they be as varied as the
    number of machines you have on the network, or they may share a common cause
    (s), if you're running maintenance routines on the entire network... How it
    could get so far out of hand without notice is curious, as is how it could
    suddenly occur without notice of some event or combination of factors.

    As far as your My Computer Icon, it is not an "icon" per se, what it is a
    zero-byte sytem interface, and on most machines it's controls can be accessed
    via Display Properties > Desktop tab > Customize Desktop button > General
    tab. On a network, I would untick the Cleanup Wizard... and make appropriate
    adjustments per user, per net admin's intentions.

    And WTF knows which Administrative Templates have been tampered with, to an
    ultimate cumulative effect?

    If you are running any system cleanup software which deletes "zero byte
    files" you could lose some of your system "icons" and have to recreate them.
    It's "doable;" but it's a drill.

    It seems to me that the taskbar buttons is a whole 'nuther issue, on the
    surface, but there is so much information that you are leaving out of your
    inquiry, that each item of each issue needs to addressed separately... How a
    network shares these symptoms among machines, only the network admin, and
    God, His Holy Self, would be feasibly able to narrow down the possible causes
    without some hands-on, or extensive salient communication.

    My view is that your OP (above) is incredibly vague when juxtaposed to my
    experience with people who run and maintain networks.

    So, what bothers me is that you may well be a malicious instrumentality
    hiding your true identity through Google's naïve kindnesses, and your real
    motives are to screw with some hard-working soul's network.

    Now, if someone else wants to weigh in on this, I have no problem with it,
    but, it seems to me that the kind of assistance you're after is going to
    require a bit more transparency on your part. To posterity: YMMV.

    Bucky Breeder, Nov 22, 2006
  10. chad

    Plato Guest

    chad wrote:

    > I have some systems that have no actual icon for the "My Computer"
    > except for a folder. Other systems have multipl entries for the same
    > thing on the start bar. So, for instance, some users have two entries
    > for Excel and Outlook each on their task bar. Sometimes it is only ther
    > normal one entry each. Any ideas?

    Often seen on much used win98 systems. The permanent fix is deleting
    windows, program files, and starting fresh.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 23, 2006
  11. chad

    chad Guest

    Thanks for the information, Bucky.

    Actually, I took over this network two months ago. I noticed this stuff
    on some user's systems. My previous experience with this had been
    viruses causing it. I haven't had the time to address it. Their system
    runs fine (only two act that way) but those systems run a lot of
    non-work related programs.

    I was thinking of making backup of their work related items, and wiping
    the system clean. It's not really interfering with their work though.

    Sorry if I pissed you off.

    chad, Nov 24, 2006
  12. chad

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 05:04:57 -0800, chad Has Frothed:

    > Thanks for the information, Bucky.
    >
    > Actually, I took over this network two months ago. I noticed this stuff
    > on some user's systems. My previous experience with this had been
    > viruses causing it. I haven't had the time to address it. Their system
    > runs fine (only two act that way) but those systems run a lot of
    > non-work related programs.
    >
    > I was thinking of making backup of their work related items, and wiping
    > the system clean. It's not really interfering with their work though.

    Wipe it/them

    > Sorry if I pissed you off.

    Sometimes that's half the fun.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Nov 24, 2006
  13. chad

    Top Guest

    Bucky Breeder expressed precisely :

    > Best wishes to you and yours for a safe and joyous holiday season.

    Bucky, was this not your comment? This is what I replied to.

    As for the screen name Top, I earned it. In the Army that is known as
    the "Top NCO" of a company sized unit. That was my last job in the Amry
    as I was used to being called that so I stuck with it in USENET.

    Now Bucko I still wish you and yours and joyous holiday season.

    Top
    Top, Nov 24, 2006