    PC and even installed a known working drive to replace the one that was
    there but no difference noted.

    So what to do?

    mark mandel, Dec 25, 2003

  2. mark  mandel

    mcp6453 Guest

    mark mandel wrote:

    > The floppy drive icon is missing in "My Computer" as well as not listed in
    > Windows Explorer. I did a thorough check of the cable installation in the
    > PC and even installed a known working drive to replace the one that was
    > there but no difference noted.
    >
    > So what to do?

    Did you try a new cable when you tried the new drive?

    Some BIOSes may allow you to disable the floppy drive. Did check that?

    Depending on your operating system, boot into the Safe Mode to see if
    the drive shows up.

    mcp6453, Dec 25, 2003

  3. mark  mandel

    mark mandel Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > mark mandel wrote:
    > >
    > > The floppy drive icon is missing in "My Computer" as well as not listed

    in
    > > Windows Explorer. I did a thorough check of the cable installation in

    the
    > > PC and even installed a known working drive to replace the one that was
    > > there but no difference noted.
    > >
    > > So what to do?

    > Did you try a new cable when you tried the new drive?
    >
    > Some BIOSes may allow you to disable the floppy drive. Did check that?
    >
    > Depending on your operating system, boot into the Safe Mode to see if
    > the drive shows up.

    Problem solved..................

    It was because the cable was on backwards. But it never occurred to me
    until someone else suggested it. The "wrong" cable fitting felt so "right"
    somehow and I got tricked by the color stripe as well.

    Mark

    mark mandel, Dec 26, 2003
  4. Yeah the red stripe is backward from IDE drives...

    =The Anti-n00b=, Dec 26, 2003
  5. mark  mandel

    Thor Guest

    "=The Anti-n00b=" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah the red stripe is backward from IDE drives...

    The red stripe always goes to "pin 1" regardless. But even so, not all
    floppy drives use the same cable orientation. Some have pin 1 on the right
    and some on the left. The consistency of cable orientation on floppies isn't
    as reliable as are harddrives, and CD drives.

    Thor, Dec 27, 2003
  6. mark  mandel

    Speedy Petey Guest

    I read somewhere, that if the machine has round cables, sometimes you have
    to tell the bios to switch the floppy, whatever that means. Thought it
    might help.

    Speedy Petey, Jan 3, 2004