missing emails IHUG

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Justin, Sep 30, 2006.

  1. Justin

    Justin Guest

    I have a relative in britain who has been sending emails for the last
    few days which I am not receiving. She has not been receiving
    undeliverable error messagees but after 3 days she received the
    following:

    ><>: delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
    > zuul.ihug.co.nz[203.109.252.44]: server dropped connection without sending
    > the initial SMTP greeting

    She posts from a fsnet.co.uk account. Does the above error message
    indicate a problem at IHUGS end?

    About 10 messages in total have not appeared and she has received to
    date only the one error message quoted above.

    Thanks for any suggestions - its disconcerting to wonder what other
    messages may have disappeared over the last few days.

    Justin, Sep 30, 2006

  2. Justin wrote:
    > I have a relative in britain who has been sending emails for the last
    > few days which I am not receiving. She has not been receiving
    > undeliverable error messagees but after 3 days she received the
    > following:
    >
    >> <>: delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
    >> zuul.ihug.co.nz[203.109.252.44]: server dropped connection without sending
    >> the initial SMTP greeting

    > She posts from a fsnet.co.uk account. Does the above error message
    > indicate a problem at IHUGS end?

    Maybe. Some other possibilities at her end, or inbetween, include...

    Packet filter rules that block data, but don't prevent connections from
    being established.

    A SYN proxy of some kind.

    MTU issues. Unlikely in this case as the welcome message is a few dozen
    bytes at most.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Sep 30, 2006

  3. Justin

    Tony Guest

    > Thanks for any suggestions - its disconcerting to wonder what other
    > messages may have disappeared over the last few days.

    Have you logged a fault with IHUG ? This should be your first course of
    action.

    Tony, Sep 30, 2006
  4. Justin

    Justin Guest

    On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 07:46:09 +1300, Tony
    <> wrote:

    >Have you logged a fault with IHUG ? This should be your first course of
    >action.

    Yes - I have used the form on their web page twice with no response
    as yet. Will have to resort to a phonecall soon I guess.

    Justin, Sep 30, 2006
  5. Justin

    Justin Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:01:48 +1200, The Other Guy <>
    wrote:

    >Justin wrote:
    >> I have a relative in britain who has been sending emails for the last
    >> few days which I am not receiving. She has not been receiving
    >> undeliverable error messagees but after 3 days she received the
    >> following:
    >>
    >>> <>: delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
    >>> zuul.ihug.co.nz[203.109.252.44]: server dropped connection without sending
    >>> the initial SMTP greeting

    >> She posts from a fsnet.co.uk account. Does the above error message
    >> indicate a problem at IHUGS end?

    >Maybe. Some other possibilities at her end, or inbetween, include...
    >
    >Packet filter rules that block data, but don't prevent connections from
    >being established.
    >
    >A SYN proxy of some kind.
    >
    >MTU issues. Unlikely in this case as the welcome message is a few dozen
    >bytes at most.
    >
    >The Other Guy

    Thanks - I have accessed her webmail with her permission and used this
    to send messages to self whichalso have'nt arrived. So, problem is not
    on her pc I guess. She is 85 and not prone to changing settings or
    experimenting much :)

    Justin, Sep 30, 2006
  6. Justin

    Tony Guest

    >> Have you logged a fault with IHUG ? This should be your first course of
    >> action.

    > Yes - I have used the form on their web page twice with no response
    > as yet. Will have to resort to a phonecall soon I guess.

    Yep, get a name and ticket number and follow up on it.

    Tony, Sep 30, 2006
  7. Justin

    Vista Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:01:48 +1200, The Other Guy <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Justin wrote:
    >>> I have a relative in britain who has been sending emails for the last
    >>> few days which I am not receiving. She has not been receiving
    >>> undeliverable error messagees but after 3 days she received the
    >>> following:

    >>> She posts from a fsnet.co.uk account. Does the above error message
    >>> indicate a problem at IHUGS end?

    >>Maybe. Some other possibilities at her end, or inbetween, include...
    >>
    >>Packet filter rules that block data, but don't prevent connections from
    >>being established.
    >>
    >>A SYN proxy of some kind.
    >>
    >>MTU issues. Unlikely in this case as the welcome message is a few dozen
    >>bytes at most.
    >>
    >>The Other Guy

    > Thanks - I have accessed her webmail with her permission and used this
    > to send messages to self whichalso have'nt arrived. So, problem is not
    > on her pc I guess. She is 85 and not prone to changing settings or
    > experimenting much :)

    It is very likely to be the senders mailserver, that isn't responding
    properly to ihugs mailserver, when it is trying to authenticate if the email
    is frm a real mailserver. It is an antispam feature.

    Vista, Oct 1, 2006
  8. Justin

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >I have a relative in britain who has been sending emails for the last
    > few days which I am not receiving. She has not been receiving
    > undeliverable error messagees but after 3 days she received the
    > following:
    >
    >><>: delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
    >> zuul.ihug.co.nz[203.109.252.44]: server dropped connection without
    >> sending
    >> the initial SMTP greeting

    > She posts from a fsnet.co.uk account. Does the above error message
    > indicate a problem at IHUGS end?
    >
    > About 10 messages in total have not appeared and she has received to
    > date only the one error message quoted above.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions - its disconcerting to wonder what other
    > messages may have disappeared over the last few days.

    Try Slingshot for a month.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 1, 2006
  9. Vista wrote:
    > It is very likely to be the senders mailserver, that isn't responding
    > properly to ihugs mailserver, when it is trying to authenticate if the email
    > is frm a real mailserver. It is an antispam feature.

    The error indicates the server is not seeing the welcome message, which
    the IHUG server should be sending immediately after connection. Assuming
    that log entry is right, then it has nothing to do with responding
    correctly to the IHUG server.

    The remote server may not be waiting long enough for this to occur. If
    the IHUG server was under load, this could easily delay the welcome
    message by a few seconds.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Oct 1, 2006