    start->run c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe still fails, file not found.

    anyone have ideas about what's going on here ? a virus or what ?
    , Aug 31, 2006

  2. Aaron Kelley Guest

    The copy in SysWOW64 is a 32-bit application. 32-bit applications can not
    access the system32 folder --- If you try to, it will be fooled into going
    to the SysWOW64 folder. That's why you aren't able to fix it with the
    32-bit cmd.exe.

    The best thing to do would be just to recover the original cmd.exe from your
    WinXP64 CD-ROM. You'll have to use Explorer to copy it to the right place,
    not the command prompt.

    - Aaron

    Aaron Kelley, Aug 31, 2006