Missing CD-ROM drive.

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Joe, Mar 26, 2006.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    My son bought a game for our family p.c.
    The name of the game is Elder Scroll 4 Oblivion.
    The game wouldn't load because we needed to have a DVD drive installed.
    So I installed a DVD drive.
    The trouble started then.
    Now there is no CD-ROM drive at all.
    I've removed the DVD drive and installed the old CD-ROM-RW drive back in.
    Still no CD-ROM drive at all.
    I've also installed two other CD-ROM drives and different ribbon cables.
    Still nothing.
    All the units have power to them.
    Tray moves in and out.
    Any idea's?

    Here's what my system is and what's on it:
    Dell OptiPlex GX260
    WindowsXP Professional (Service Pack2)
    Pentium 4
    2.40GHZ
    20.GB hard drive
    Memory total 638
    Multimedia - SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio

    Thanks for any help that you can give me ahead of time.

    Joe
    Joe, Mar 26, 2006

  2. Joe

    JD Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > My son bought a game for our family p.c.
    > The name of the game is Elder Scroll 4 Oblivion.
    > The game wouldn't load because we needed to have a DVD drive installed.
    > So I installed a DVD drive.
    > The trouble started then.
    > Now there is no CD-ROM drive at all.
    > I've removed the DVD drive and installed the old CD-ROM-RW drive back in.
    > Still no CD-ROM drive at all.
    > I've also installed two other CD-ROM drives and different ribbon cables.
    > Still nothing.
    > All the units have power to them.
    > Tray moves in and out.
    > Any idea's?
    >
    > Here's what my system is and what's on it:
    > Dell OptiPlex GX260
    > WindowsXP Professional (Service Pack2)
    > Pentium 4
    > 2.40GHZ
    > 20.GB hard drive
    > Memory total 638
    > Multimedia - SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio
    >
    > Thanks for any help that you can give me ahead of time.
    >
    > Joe

    Restart your PC, look at the POST (power on self test) screen, see if
    the CD/DVD-ROM has been detected.

    If not check the jumpers on the CD/DVD-ROM, simplest settings is to
    remove all the jumpers from all of your drives, and set them all to CS
    (Cable select) restart your PC and check the POST screen again.

    If they still do not show up, enter your BIOS settings, usually delete
    key at post, could also be F1/F2 and check your "IDE0/1
    Primary/Master's" are set to AUTO.

    If all is well let windows load and your drives should appear or Device
    manager will load and prompt you for drivers.

    JD
    JD, Mar 26, 2006

  3. Joe

    Brian Guest

    Also since the CD rom was seen before you replaced it, make sure you put the
    data cable on correctly, the red line on the cable should be on pin one of
    the drive. Easy mistake to make when swapping drives. Also check the
    motherboard end as well to make sure it is fully seated.
    Brian, Apr 2, 2006