MISSING AUXILIRY POWER : PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by dvonstein@gmail.com, May 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    OKay i've had my system for a few years.. I upgraded to a geforce 5700
    ultra about 2 years ago and everything work great.. untill now, two
    years later..

    now when i play world of warcraft for like 4+ hours ... it crashes and
    i get a message saying auxiliry power missing.. to prevent damage to
    vid card shut down system.. WTF!!!

    does this mean my power supply is going bad? or my vid card? or my
    MB??? i dont know please if you have any clue on what is causing this
    error so i can replace.. Im not gunna heat my computer up! computers
    run better cold.

    and after 4 hrs of gameplay.. it seams like it would be overheating not
    overcooled??

    Error message is
    source: nv
    event id: 111
    type: error

    power

    PLEASE HELP!!!!

    , May 19, 2006

  2. Noozer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > OKay i've had my system for a few years.. I upgraded to a geforce 5700
    > ultra about 2 years ago and everything work great.. untill now, two
    > years later..
    >
    > now when i play world of warcraft for like 4+ hours ... it crashes and
    > i get a message saying auxiliry power missing.. to prevent damage to
    > vid card shut down system.. WTF!!!
    >
    > does this mean my power supply is going bad? or my vid card? or my
    > MB??? i dont know please if you have any clue on what is causing this
    > error so i can replace.. Im not gunna heat my computer up! computers
    > run better cold.
    >
    > and after 4 hrs of gameplay.. it seams like it would be overheating not
    > overcooled??
    >
    > Error message is
    > source: nv
    > event id: 111
    > type: error

    > power
    >
    > PLEASE HELP!!!!

    Does this only happen in 64bit Windows? Did this happen under 32 bit windows
    as well?

    Noozer, May 19, 2006

  3. I've just experienced this very thing a while ago. The excellent community
    here discussed the possibilities and came up with nothing conclusive.

    I moved the card to another machine (non-x64), and the error persisted - I
    then upgraded that machine with a new case (Aopen! - not expensive. . .)
    which the 'man' told me was above average when it came to power-supply and
    cooling. Then the problem went away completely.

    John (Barnes), one of our frequent posters, had this problem when starting
    his machine from cold in the morning. He took to blowing hot air into the
    case for a minute before booting and that seemed to fix his problem, so
    personally, I am beginning to lean towards this error being triggered by a
    number of different issues, power, temperature, whatever - of which some may
    be quite trivial.

    First, forget the 'rating' of your PSU, most standard units will start to
    loose power on the remaining lines if one or more lines are running
    sufficiently close to the rating that it can handle. A 450 Watt unit is no
    better than a 300 Watt if it starts to loose power like that from 50% - up.

    If you have 2 HD's, 2 CD/DVD's, a quality Graphic card and Sound too, 8
    USB's and a case full of fans and a X-mas tree - then you do need to pay for
    a high quality Power Supply as well.

    All PSU manufacturers are producing units of varying quality, you have to
    inform yourself of a product that has full guarantee to support the load
    potential on all the cables that exits the housing, up to a combined total
    of the rating of the unit.

    A choice of names that comes to mind is PC Power & Cooling, Antec and
    SeaSonic, NorthQ can be very good but very much standard too, like almost
    anything else. Our own 'most valued Charlie' has a bleeding heart for the
    SeaSonic as being 'the best there is'.

    I would go to THG (Tom's Hardware Guide) and see if they have an archive of
    tested equipment that you can learn from. Don't trust your average sales
    person to identify anything for you. Look for a unit that has more supplier
    lines than the standard (5???).

    To test your own system, make sure you give that card it's own cable - don't
    let it share that supply with anything else, and then try and unplug some of
    the things inside (remove your wrist-watch!), unplug a case-fan and your
    CD's for an hour or so, to see if suddenly it all comes back to normal.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 19, 2006
  4. John Barnes Guest

    I would also try unplugging and replugging any power connections your video
    card needs, on the motherboard and/or card. If possible use another lead.
    The need to heat the system is a boot-up problem only. One I fortunately
    won't have to deal with until next winter.

    John Barnes, May 19, 2006