    kinds of things were in the past.
    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Joe J., Nov 24, 2008

  2. Joe J.

    D Lirious Guest

    If you can see the troublesome hard drive at all the first thing you should
    do is backup any files from it that you do not want to lose.
    Next unseat/reseat the power and data cables.
    Reboot and enter the bios. If you see the hard drive there then you should
    see it in Windows.
    If you do not see the hard drive in the bios try a different data cable, a
    different power cable. If these are EIDE drives that require master/slave
    jumpers be sure these are inserted correctly.
    However you can see it in Windows download testing software from the drive
    manufacturer. Unfortunately a failing hard drive may only work
    intermittently.
    Hence the first item above.

    D Lirious, Nov 27, 2008

  3. Joe J.

    Baron Guest

    Robert Baer wrote:

    > D Lirious wrote:
    >
    >> If you can see the troublesome hard drive at all the first thing you
    >> should do is backup any files from it that you do not want to lose.
    >> Next unseat/reseat the power and data cables.

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    Baron, Nov 27, 2008
  4. Joe J.

    John Holmes Guest

    Joe J. "contributed" in alt.computer:

    > I installed a 2nd hard drive on my computer to backup files. All
    > worked well for months, then the computer stopped seeing the drive.
    > Since we had recently moved I suspected a loose cable. Opened it up
    > and everything looked fine.
    > Today I connected an external HD via USB and now the computer sees the
    > external and the 2nd internal drive. I can access the files off of
    > both. If I turn off, or disconnect the external drive, they both
    > disappear. Device manager can't see either one.
    > I'm guessing I have some kind of conflict but I thought with XP-Pro
    > those kinds of things were in the past.
    > Any thoughts?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Just ignore those fools who replied so far. Only thing you'll have to do
    is go into Drive Management and assign a drive letter to the new drive.
    (Start> run > diskmgmt.msc, [enter])

    HTH
    --
    <snip>