    Microsoft should correct this page as it is causing people a lot of
    frustration.

    Hugh

    =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=, May 31, 2005

  2. Yeah, but the incompatibility issues and support is what scares them, thats
    why the don't do it. The should offer exchange programs though.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005

  3. Alienware had x64 desktops/laptops at WinHEC - I should know, I played
    FarCry on them. Sounds like they're giving you crap, I would call back
    and mention WinHEC.

    Rafael Rivera
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/Rafael

    Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], Jun 1, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

    Rick Guest

    Because it all boils down to the basic theory about which came first,
    the chicken or the egg.

    The hardware vendors were reluctant to support an OS that was Beta, yet
    Microsoft continued to develop Win x64 and encourage the hardware
    vendors to develop 64-bit drivers. Now that the OS is finally released,
    the hardware vendors will guage there development priority on how
    rapidly Win x64 is adopted by the end users. We therefore find
    ourselves caught in a "Catch 22" at the present time.

    In a perfect world the OS and all the supporting drivers from the
    hardware vendors would have been released at the same time. However,
    the last time I took a reality check, this is not a perfect world. So,
    we have to live with what the Great Creator left us with!!

    Rick, Jun 1, 2005
  5. I would say that was more of campaign for the platform at WinHEC than
    something thats actually a part of their marketing strategy. I predict maybe
    by fall or end of this year we will see systems preloaded with x64 or
    options to have dual configurations of either 32 or x64 Windows.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    "Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com]" <rafael*at*extended64*dot*com> wrote in
    message news:...

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

    WM Guest

    HP does have workstations preloaded with Windows XP x64... Check their site.

    WM, Jun 1, 2005
  7. Kubuli_Lager <> wrote:
    > Hmmmmm I can't understand why any of them would offer an os that is
    > not supported by much of anyone this soon. Its nice to play with but
    > not of much practical value yet.

    I'm working 12 hours a day with x64, no problem so far.
    Can't see any reason to go back to XP32bit....
    You have to make some choices... I did , I'm happy with it

    Cheers
    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 1, 2005
  8. "Hugo" <> wrote in message
    >I have just spoken to Alienware, I asked them what systems they offer that
    > come prelaoded with XP-64, they said none.
    >
    > This is the opposite of what this Microsoft page states:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/howtobuy/default.mspx
    >
    > I havent checked the other vendors, but as far as I can tell, NOBODY is
    > offering retail systems with XP-64 preloaded either desktop or laptop.
    >
    > Microsoft should correct this page as it is causing people a lot of
    > frustration.
    >
    > Hugh

    Please check the other links, both Dell and HP are offering x64 based
    system pre loaded with our 64-bit operating systems.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 1, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

    Keith Guest

    Other than needing to watch some TV in my bedroom on my computer using my
    pci based tv tuner/capture card....plus the occasional rip of a dvd or vhs
    tape...I use X64 exclusively for gaming and what not....as soon as Leadtek
    decides to get some damn drivers out for their most popular tv tuner cards,
    I will dump the XP32 installation....

    -Keith

    Keith, Jun 1, 2005
  10. I think for Dell its only their Precision workstations.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  11. oh, and HP, their business desktops.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  12. It still amounts to what you are doing with, people who really need the
    power in performance will look past the common flaws such as Hardware driver
    and software support.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  13. Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <> wrote in message
    news:...>I think for Dell its only
    their Precision workstations.
    > --

    Right - a workstation - I'm not sure of your point baring in mind the
    primary advantages of x64 and the target users for this OS and 64-bit
    software, this seems quite reasonable as does the HP choice of machine.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 1, 2005
  14. Hmmm. I'm probably still a few weeks away from the switch. Mostly because I
    don't have the time to get everything sorted right now -- got a server to
    rebuild, and two older workstations to reconfigure for a current project. But
    once I make the move, I don't expect to look back. ;) And I am _seriously_
    tempted by the new dual core processors, in spite of the price. Just waiting
    to see how long till ASUS has a BIOS update to handle it.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 1, 2005
  15. Charlie, fight the urge and save that money.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  16. ah, but see, for me a dual core machine makes WAY more sense than a single
    core. I can have my VMs spread across the cores, for example, since I am
    using the beta of Virtual Server SP1. And still get some real work done on
    the machine.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 1, 2005
  17. =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    Dell is shipping Windows XP X64 Edition (or plans to ship it) on their
    Precision Workstation's (for their Corporate Customer's).

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 2, 2005
  18. Any plans on bringing it maybe to their consumer desktop systems like 8400
    or 9100?

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 2, 2005
  19. =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    Check http://www.cyberpowersystem.com/Default.asp and go into the
    configurators for the 64bit systems. You can configure with Win x64 and
    it's pre-loaded.

    Bill Sharpe, Jun 4, 2005
  20. =?Utf-8?B?SHVnbw==?=

    - Bobb - Guest

    I bought the mb/CPU at AMD Tech Tour to get X64. I built the box. The video
    is PCIx16 - cards were WAY too much $$$. And not sure there is x64 driver
    for them.
    I installed X64 and since NONE of my hardware had ANY supported software,
    that box is now a paperweight - waiting for drivers to be written ... by
    anyone. I did have an old PCI video card (all my others are AGP) so I used
    it in a std PCI slot and since no driver for it - the resolution is: 4 bit !
    Yeah, greys look OK - everything else gives me a headache.
    I'm back on my Win2000 / XP boxes for now.

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Aug 3, 2005