  1. Irwell

    Irwell Guest

    What happened to the filmless camera?
    Irwell, Sep 13, 2010

  2. Irwell

    Irwell Guest

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:20:15 -0400, rwalker wrote:

    >>On 2010-09-13 13:05:21 -0700, Irwell <> said:
    >>
    >>> What happened to the filmless camera?

    > Mine's on the desktop beside me.

    So when did the term 'filmless' drop from descriptions
    of digital cameras?
    When do you expect the term 'mirrorless cameras' to
    become redundant?

    This was only about ten years ago.

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/9903/99031802olyslr.asp
    ``The C-2500L filmless digital camera is the fifth filmless camera model
    Olympus has revealed in the last four months. Each model surpasses the
    expectations, in either features/performance or value, of the industry at
    large. What better demonstration of market leadership can there be than
    when a single company introduces products like the D-400 Zoom, the D-620L,
    the C-2000 Zoom and now the C-2500L,'' said Ben La Marca, Group Vice
    President of Digital Marketing & Development. ``Olympus is the undeniable
    market leader in the filmless digital camera arena.''
    Irwell, Sep 13, 2010

  3. Irwell

    Irwell Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:32:13 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:

    > "Irwell" <> wrote in message

    >>> Mine's on the desktop beside me.

    >> So when did the term 'filmless' drop from descriptions
    >> of digital cameras?
    >> When do you expect the term 'mirrorless cameras' to
    >> become redundant?
    >>
    >> This was only about ten years ago.
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/9903/99031802olyslr.asp
    >> ``The C-2500L filmless digital camera is the fifth filmless camera model
    >> Olympus has revealed in the last four months. Each model surpasses the
    >> expectations, in either features/performance or value, of the industry at
    >> large. What better demonstration of market leadership can there be than
    >> when a single company introduces products like the D-400 Zoom, the D-620L,
    >> the C-2000 Zoom and now the C-2500L,'' said Ben La Marca, Group Vice
    >> President of Digital Marketing & Development. ``Olympus is the undeniable
    >> market leader in the filmless digital camera arena.''

    > At that time filmlessness was remarkable enough to mention. Today it's
    > assumed, and anything that still uses film is remarkable enough to mention
    > that it does.
    >
    > For that matter, I think the D in "DSLR" is now superfluous, and I've
    > generally stopped using that term unless there's some reason to
    > differentiate from film-using SLRs.

    Mirror-less cameras just sounds silly.
    Rather like driving a carburettor-less car?
    Irwell, Sep 14, 2010
  4. Irwell

    Rich Guest

    On Sep 14, 4:05 pm, Irwell <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 13:32:13 -0400, Neil Harrington wrote:
    > > "Irwell" <> wrote in message

    > >> So when did the term 'filmless' drop from descriptions
    > >> of digital cameras?
    > >> When do you expect the term 'mirrorless cameras' to
    > >> become redundant?

    > >> This was only about ten years ago.

    > >>http://www.dpreview.com/news/9903/99031802olyslr.asp
    > >> ``The C-2500L filmless digital camera is the fifth filmless camera model
    > >> Olympus has revealed in the last four months. Each model surpasses the
    > >> expectations, in either features/performance or value, of the industry at
    > >> large. What better demonstration of market leadership can there be than
    > >> when a single company introduces products like the D-400 Zoom, the D-620L,
    > >> the C-2000 Zoom and now the C-2500L,'' said Ben La Marca, Group Vice
    > >> President of Digital Marketing & Development. ``Olympus is the undeniable
    > >> market leader in the filmless digital camera arena.''

    > > At that time filmlessness was remarkable enough to mention. Today it's
    > > assumed, and anything that still uses film is remarkable enough to mention
    > > that it does.

    > > For that matter, I think the D in "DSLR" is now superfluous, and I've
    > > generally stopped using that term unless there's some reason to
    > > differentiate from film-using SLRs.

    > Mirror-less cameras just sounds silly.
    > Rather like driving a carburettor-less car?

    Just as DSLRs will evolve to mirror-less cameras, so to did have
    carburetors evolved to fuel injection.
    Rich, Sep 15, 2010
  5. ? "Irwell" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > What happened to the filmless camera?

    When did the greenhouse effect become climatic change?
    :)

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitris, Sep 15, 2010
  6. On 9/15/10 PDT 1:59 PM, Allen wrote:
    > Irwell wrote:
    >> What happened to the filmless camera?

    > It got a chip on its shoulder.
    > Allen

    Ta-dum! Nice one.....

    There was an attempt to produce a thin plate that'd convert a film
    camera to digital format, but it got..... nowhere. Way too expensive
    then to make a full size sensor in addition to other engineering and
    mfg. hurdles.

    --
    John McWilliams

    Remember: Opinions are like buttocks; only those which are well-formed
    should be shown in public.
    John McWilliams, Sep 15, 2010