mirror port 2621xm

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by quinngrayson47@gmail.com, Jun 8, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Howdy,

    I am trying to setup port mirroring on a Cisco 2621xm. i issue the
    standard command "monitor session 1 source interface fastethernet 0/1
    both" - and the error i receive is: "% Invalid input detected at '^'
    marker." (the ^ pointer is at 'f' of fastethernet). Yes i have 2
    fastethernet interfaces (please see below output). i have found no
    documentation stating that i am unable to setup port monitoring / port
    spanning on a cisco 2621.

    Thanks in advance
    quinn

    gateway(config)#monitor session 1 source interface fastEthernet 0/1
    both
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

    FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is AmdFE, address is 0009.e850.7401 (bia 0009.e850.7401)
    Internet address is 192.168.1.4/24
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit/sec, DLY 100 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX

    FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up
    Hardware is AmdFE, address is 0009.e850.7400 (bia 0009.e850.7400)
    Internet address is 192.168.0.1/29
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit/sec, DLY 100 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set
    Keepalive set (10 sec)
    Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX

    Cisco IOS Software, C2600 Software (C2600-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version
    12.4(15)T8, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
    Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
    Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Mon 01-Dec-08 14:23 by prod_rel_team

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r) [cmong 7r], RELEASE SOFTWARE
    (fc1)

    gateway uptime is 4 days, 2 hours, 53 minutes
    System returned to ROM by reload at 17:08:38 AEST Thu Jun 4 2009
    System restarted at 17:12:09 AEST Thu Jun 4 2009
    System image file is "flash:c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T8.bin"

    , Jun 8, 2009

  2. cutetplt

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2009
    Messages:
    11
    Location:
    Bangkon, Thailand
    Hi mate!

    Command for using at Cisco 2600 is a little bit different from Multilayer switch such as C6500 series. Anyway, you are able to put following command below at the interface that you wanna monitor:

    Interface FaseEthernet0/10
    port monitor FastEthernet0/1
    !

    Tony
    cutetplt, Jun 8, 2009

  3. writes:
    >I am trying to setup port mirroring on a Cisco 2621xm. i issue the
    >standard command "monitor session 1 source interface fastethernet 0/1
    >both" - and the error i receive is: "% Invalid input detected at '^'
    >marker." (the ^ pointer is at 'f' of fastethernet). Yes i have 2
    >fastethernet interfaces (please see below output). i have found no
    >documentation stating that i am unable to setup port monitoring / port
    >spanning on a cisco 2621.

    Nope, you can't. Only on switch ports.
    FastEthernet 0/1 is a layer-3 router port, so no port mirroring.
    Doug McIntyre, Jun 8, 2009
  4. Guest

    thanks Doug.

    Any other way to capture information on the "other side" for network
    analysis / security purposes?

  5. writes:
    >Any other way to capture information on the "other side" for network
    >analysis / security purposes?

    The two traditional ways are if the traffic isn't too heavy, and you
    don't need the actual packets, to setup port ACL filters to watch
    for the traffic you want to detect and log it. Or Netflow.

    Or, put in a sniffer upstream of it with a switch that can port
    mirror, or a hub.
    Doug McIntyre, Jun 8, 2009
  6. bod43 Guest

    On 8 June, 23:41, Doug McIntyre <> wrote:
    > writes:
    > >Any other way to capture information on the "other side" for network
    > >analysis / security purposes?

    > The two traditional ways are if the traffic isn't too heavy, and you
    > don't need the actual packets, to setup port ACL filters to watch
    > for the traffic you want to detect and log it. Or Netflow.
    >
    > Or, put in a sniffer upstream of it with a switch that can port
    > mirror, or a hub.

    You can of course debug ip packet [det]. Horrendous performance hit
    to the extent of losing management connectivity in some
    circumstances. Router might need power off to recover.

    Worth noting that the latest, greatest 12.4T has integrated packet
    capture,
    can export to pcap file. Not tried it yet:-( Sounds a bit like pix
    and more.

    Don't suppose it would run on 2621xm, but might be worth checking.
    bod43, Jun 11, 2009