Mirror Lenses?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PanHandler, Aug 12, 2005.

  1. PanHandler

    PanHandler Guest

    "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > This is from somebody who knows nothing and will probably never, ever
    > purchase a
    > mirror lens.
    >
    > Having said that...
    >
    > What is the role of mirror lenses in amateur photography?
    >
    > Seems like they have the advantage of light weight and a sort of
    > compactness
    > (i.e. they aren't real long in the extreme magnifications).
    >

    > I've got a hidden agenda here. In my car I carry a set of
    > image-stabilized 10x
    > bin ox that I use to read rather small (2-4" high) numbers on sails from
    > the
    > beach.
    >
    > In another post, it seemed like if I put the right lens on my D70, I could
    > dispense with the bin ox by just shooting a few frames of the sail and
    > zooming
    > the pix. Might even not need a tripod if there was en ought light...
    >
    > But I'm guessing that then I'd be into a fairly long lens.
    >
    > Then I thought about mirror lenses.....

    Unless you 're willing to spend some big bux, you're not likely to get very
    good resolution.

    PanHandler, Aug 12, 2005

  2. PanHandler

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    (PeteCresswell) <> wrote:
    >This is from somebody who knows nothing and will probably never, ever purchase a
    >mirror lens.
    >
    >Having said that...
    >
    >What is the role of mirror lenses in amateur photography?

    IME they exist to teach you a valuable lesson about false economy.

    >But I'm guessing that then I'd be into a fairly long lens.
    >
    >Then I thought about mirror lenses.....

    To elaborate - I breifly owned one (Sigma 60mm job) which I used on a D30,
    and then on a 10D. It was such utter crap optically that it didn't give me
    any extra detail on the 10D. Furthermore, it's the only lens I've ever used
    which, with TTL viewing, I needed to focus bracket.

    Before I got it, I read lots of reports from people which pretty much all
    said, "don't buy a mirror lens", but I ignored them, reasoning that they
    couldn't really be all that bad, and perhaps the people saying this were
    just being fussy.

    Now I'll add my voice to them - don't buy a mirror lens. I sold mine at a
    loss and ended up doing what I should have done in the first place - buying
    a secondhand Canon 300mm f/4 IS L USM with a 1.4x teleconvertor.

    In case you missed the subliminal message above, your instincts about
    probably never, ever owning a mirror lens, are sound and well founded. Avoid.

    Chris Brown, Aug 12, 2005

  3. (PeteCresswell) wrote:
    > This is from somebody who knows nothing and will probably never, ever
    > purchase a mirror lens.
    >
    > Having said that...
    >
    > What is the role of mirror lenses in amateur photography?
    >
    > Seems like they have the advantage of light weight and a sort of
    > compactness (i.e. they aren't real long in the extreme
    > magnifications).
    >

    > I've got a hidden agenda here. In my car I carry a set of
    > image-stabilized 10x bin ox that I use to read rather small (2-4"
    > high) numbers on sails from the beach.
    >
    > In another post, it seemed like if I put the right lens on my D70, I
    > could dispense with the bin ox by just shooting a few frames of the
    > sail and zooming the pix. Might even not need a tripod if there was
    > en ought light...
    >
    > But I'm guessing that then I'd be into a fairly long lens.
    >
    > Then I thought about mirror lenses.....

    The advantage of a mirror lens is they can be made very short and
    compact. Sorry to say most are also made very cheap and they all suffer
    from some very unusual out of focus effects. The really good ones (like
    Hubble) are rather expensive.

    As for your idea, I would suggest that you are not going to be satisfied
    with the results. The image quality as you see it displayed is not likely
    to be good enough for your needs.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 12, 2005
  5. PanHandler

    Jim Guest

    > This is from somebody who knows nothing and will probably never, ever

    purchase a
    > mirror lens.
    >
    > Having said that...
    >
    > What is the role of mirror lenses in amateur photography?

    They are ideal for people who like donut shaped out of focus hightlights,
    who like lenses that are hard to focus accurately, and who like lenses that
    have only one aperature. However, the 500 mm mirror lenses are quite a bit
    cheaper than the conventional telephoto lenses.
    Jim

    Jim, Aug 12, 2005
  6. In article <Yw5Le.580$>, Jim
    <> wrote:

    > They are ideal for people who like donut shaped out of focus hightlights,
    > who like lenses that are hard to focus accurately, and who like lenses that
    > have only one aperature. However, the 500 mm mirror lenses are quite a bit
    > cheaper than the conventional telephoto lenses.
    > Jim

    I've owned a few over the years, including the late, lamented Vivitar
    600mm Solid Cat. While that was generally considered one of the best
    mirror lenses made, I never found it to be worth the trouble - for all
    the above reasons.

    Scott Schuckert, Aug 12, 2005
  7. PanHandler

    PanHandler Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > have only one aperature

    Lenses don't have aperatures.

    PanHandler, Aug 12, 2005
  8. PanHandler

    Gormless Guest

    "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    > To elaborate - I breifly owned one (Sigma 60mm job) which I used on a D30,

    A 60mm mirror. Now there's a novel lens.

    Gormless, Aug 12, 2005
  9. Per Chris Brown:
    >Now I'll add my voice to them - don't buy a mirror lens. I sold mine at a
    >loss and ended up doing what I should have done in the first place - buying
    >a secondhand Canon 300mm f/4 IS L USM with a 1.4x teleconvertor.
    >
    >In case you missed the subliminal message above, your instincts about
    >probably never, ever owning a mirror lens, are sound and well founded. Avoid.

    Case closed.

    Thanks for putting that one to rest for me.
    --
    PeteCresswell

    (PeteCresswell), Aug 12, 2005
  10. PanHandler

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Gormless <> wrote:

    >"Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    >> To elaborate - I breifly owned one (Sigma 60mm job) which I used on a D30,

    >A 60mm mirror. Now there's a novel lens.

    Sorry, typo for 600mm.

    Chris Brown, Aug 12, 2005
  11. PanHandler

    Charles Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:38:03 -0400, Scott Schuckert <>
    wrote:

    >In article <Yw5Le.580$>, Jim
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> They are ideal for people who like donut shaped out of focus hightlights,
    >> who like lenses that are hard to focus accurately, and who like lenses that
    >> have only one aperature. However, the 500 mm mirror lenses are quite a bit
    >> cheaper than the conventional telephoto lenses.
    >> Jim

    >I've owned a few over the years, including the late, lamented Vivitar
    >600mm Solid Cat. While that was generally considered one of the best
    >mirror lenses made, I never found it to be worth the trouble - for all
    >the above reasons.

    Mine has always been a solution in search of a problem.

    Charles, Aug 12, 2005
  12. PanHandler

    Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:57:30 -0500, "PanHandler"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jim" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> have only one aperature

    >Lenses don't have aperatures.

    Fortunately they also don't have assholes, so you won't soon
    be appearing on a lens near me.

    , Aug 12, 2005
  13. PanHandler

    PanHandler Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Fortunately they also don't have assholes, so you won't soon
    > be appearing on a lens near me.

    I have no doubt that every time you open your mouth it smells like some
    unwashed low-life just uncrossed his legs.

    PanHandler, Aug 12, 2005
  14. PanHandler

    wavelength Guest

    Ooh, which one of you can pee farther?!?!?

    I'm just dying to know.

    wavelength, Aug 12, 2005
  15. PanHandler

    Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:28:23 -0500, "PanHandler"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >
    >> Fortunately they also don't have assholes, so you won't soon
    >> be appearing on a lens near me.

    >I have no doubt that every time you open your mouth it smells like some
    >unwashed low-life just uncrossed his legs.

    Ooohhh, wicked repartee, big dude.

    , Aug 13, 2005
  16. PanHandler

    Guest

    On 12 Aug 2005 15:06:05 -0700, "wavelength" <>
    wrote:

    >Ooh, which one of you can pee farther?!?!?
    >
    >I'm just dying to know.

    Open your mouth and we'll give it a shot.

    , Aug 13, 2005
  17. PanHandler

    Gormless Guest

    "PanHandler" <> wrote in message