    Can a mirror lens be used with digital slr's such as the digital rebel?
    Would the lens mount short out any contacts on the camera body and will
    the metering system work at apertures of F8? Any help will be appreciated.
    mwebsurfer, Apr 19, 2007

  2. In article <LKAVh.16338$Ln5.11414@trndny06>,
    mwebsurfer <> wrote:

    > Can a mirror lens be used with digital slr's such as the digital rebel?
    > Would the lens mount short out any contacts on the camera body and will
    > the metering system work at apertures of F8? Any help will be appreciated.

    You can take pictures using a sheet of black paper with a hole in it.
    Everything that can work will work. It will meter, adjust shutter time,
    and show the status of focus points. The focus points might not be very
    precise with some configurations, though.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Apr 19, 2007

  3. mwebsurfer

    Brian Lund Guest

    > Can a mirror lens be used with digital slr's such as the digital rebel?
    > Would the lens mount short out any contacts on the camera body and will
    > the metering system work at apertures of F8? Any help will be appreciated.

    Metering is no problem on a Canon! - The problem is autofocus, but since you
    have a mirror lens that's no problem since it's manual focus! (I only know
    of one mirror lens with AF and it doesn't fit Canon)

    However your lens must either fit Canon EF mount or you need tot buy and
    adaptor so that the lens fits, from whatever mount your lens is.

    Brian
    Brian Lund, Apr 19, 2007
  4. mwebsurfer

    Charles Guest

    On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 02:47:07 GMT, mwebsurfer <>
    wrote:

    >Can a mirror lens be used with digital slr's such as the digital rebel?
    >Would the lens mount short out any contacts on the camera body and will
    >the metering system work at apertures of F8? Any help will be appreciated.

    My old vivitar 600 cat works, but I needed a new T-Mount adapter.
    Charles, Apr 19, 2007
  5. mwebsurfer

    Martin Brown Guest

    On Apr 19, 3:47 am, mwebsurfer <> wrote:
    > Can a mirror lens be used with digital slr's such as the digital rebel?
    > Would the lens mount short out any contacts on the camera body and will
    > the metering system work at apertures of F8? Any help will be appreciated.

    Provided that the mirror lens does not have an excessively deep
    penetration into the camera yes they work fine (as some older Russian
    M42 threaded lenses may do - this can foul the mirror flip on even
    some ordinary SLRs). You aslo gain an effective 1.4x magnification for
    free (which may seriously test the optical quality of your mirror
    lens).

    The only one of my lenses that does not work at all on my Pentax IstD
    is an elderly Pentax manual Fish-Eye f4 17mm which as far as the
    camera is concerned never comes to focus. Looks Ok through the
    viewfinder though.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Apr 19, 2007
  6. In article <LKAVh.16338$Ln5.11414@trndny06>,
    mwebsurfer <> wrote:

    > Can a mirror lens be used with digital slr's such as the digital rebel?
    > Would the lens mount short out any contacts on the camera body and will
    > the metering system work at apertures of F8? Any help will be appreciated.

    MWS-

    I have a Celestron C-90 mirror telescope that was sold as a camera lens.
    I bought it around 30 years ago to use with my Olympus OM-2 with a
    T-Mount adapter. It is 1000mm f/11 (90mm front opening).

    With the appropriate Canon T-Mount adapter, it works with my Canon 300D
    using manual focus. It is equivalent to 1500mm due to the crop factor.
    This particular lens produces images that are correctly exposed on the
    Canon, but contrast is as poor as it was on the old OM-2.

    I also have the Minolta Autofocus 500mm f/8 mirror lens. It is a superb
    lens and works perfectly on the Sony Alpha. Even so, it probably
    doesn't have as much contrast as you would expect from a good 500mm
    non-mirror lens. In other words, you will trade small size for lower
    contrast (and a nuisance if you have to manually focus it) with any
    mirror lens you choose.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Apr 21, 2007