    Anyone know of a diagnostic that can verify that the mirror is functioning
    correctly?
    or would it just not boot if it wasn't?

    Graystar, May 29, 2006

  2. Why would you be running a beta driver? Are you running on the Promise
    controller? DON'T! The VIA controller works better, and the drivers are
    WHQL. (I have two of those boards, running happily. )

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 29, 2006

  3. Graystar

    Graystar Guest

    Yep. Running the Promise controller because the other one refuses to
    recognize or even configure the drives.
    It's been running fine for several months now.

    Graystar, May 29, 2006
  4. I think that if you were able to install, and the system is running, you can
    safely assume that it is functioning. Of course, while this is no guarantee,
    each of the different RAID modes will have to be it's own little system and
    I would think that in any other event it would have thrown an error during
    the installation - I do not know of any diagnostic to test it, the
    scientific way to do it would be to treat it as if it had gone bad, while
    the system is new and you can control what you are loosing, and while you
    have succeeded to install and doing it again would be almost trivial. A lot
    of work, but it may be the only way, on the other hand, as you experiment
    with Beta OS's you learn to put trust in Beta drivers.

    But, if you do have valuable data, a backup strategy would be in order.
    Perhaps a data partition on a nonRAID'ed disk?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 29, 2006
  5. Graystar

    Graystar Guest

    Yep OK. Though I'm running the XP Pro x64 which is a system distribution
    OpSys, not a beta.

    Since the x64 system has few 64 bit drivers out for it, it is expected that
    some of the drivers would be beta.
    So far I've only gotten stuck on the non existant/antagonistic support that
    ATI has for it's AIW 9600 AGP.
    That also uses a kludged driver.
    The only other alternative would be to 1) wait for Vista [ugh] or 2) go
    Linux which would not support the programs I use.
    Until the market gets it's act together it's just going to be one big CF for
    awhile.

    So I suppose I could unplug one of the drives and see if it will boot.

    Graystar, May 29, 2006
  6. Although, if Charlie has experience with the card, it would be worth
    listening to and maybe investigate a bit further - I am no authority on RAID
    (or anything else?)

    It is my experience that drivers are a bit different from other software,
    they seldom "sort-of-work" or almost work, it is all or nothing.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 29, 2006
  7. Graystar

    Graystar Guest

    OK.

    How about this. Do you know of a DVD movie playing program that works
    on x64?
    =;o)
    Since all the ATI drivers are 32 bit for the MMC, I thought there might be
    at least 1 player out there.

    Chris H.

    Graystar, May 30, 2006
  8. Sorry no, you migh try the Nero player, as far as I know everything Nero
    wise works except the InCD app.

    And Quick Time ought to work to I suppose.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 30, 2006
  9. The codecs are important also. I use the cole2k media codec pack with
    complete success on x64. I believe I just use Media Player.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 30, 2006
  10. Graystar

    Jane Colman Guest

    Media Player 10 in use here....codecs from k lite mega codec pack
    http://www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64bit enabled ;)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation.

    Jane Colman, May 30, 2006
  11. Graystar

    Graham Guest

    Graystar wrote:
    > OK.
    >
    > How about this. Do you know of a DVD movie playing program that works
    > on x64?
    > =;o)

    PowerDVD and Nero Showtime are two that work on my x64 system. Having
    only two eyes, I haven't tried any others on it.

    Graham.

    Graham, May 30, 2006