    pinging in the background, only I can't stop it!

    Any ideas please?????

    James

    James Langley, Nov 13, 2003

  2. James Langley

    Boomer Guest

    "James Langley" <.> wrote in
    news:3fb3f478$0$12675$:

    > I have just realised I have a very suspicious program running in
    > my start-up. It is kind of a hybrid of MIRC but with ablack
    > screen and a program icon with a cross in it. It automatically
    > starts and I can hear it pinging in the background, only I can't
    > stop it!
    >
    > Any ideas please?????
    >
    > James

    Install, at least, the first three.
    Check for updates weekly and use often. :)

    Ad-aware (Aims at Adware/Spyware.)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans,
    hijackers and security/privacy issues.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Spyware Blaster

    http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

    Info on above and more.

    Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

    ~ Spyware Information ~
    http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

    ~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

    ~Other software~
    http://www.wilders.org/

    Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

    Boomer, Nov 13, 2003

  3. James Langley

    °Mike° Guest

    Online Antivirus scanners:
    --------------------------
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

    ** Caveat:
    http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/bugtraq/2003-07/0240.html

    Anti-virus programs:
    --------------------
    eZ Antivirus (Computer Associates)

    Vet (Computer Associates)
    http://www.vet.com.au/html/products/index.html

    KAV (Kaspersky)
    http://www.kaspersky.com/

    Sophos
    http://www.sophos.com/products/software/antivirus/

    NOD32
    http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

    Norman Virus Control
    http://www.norman.com/products_nvc.shtml

    F-Prot
    http://www.f-prot.com/download/

    AVG
    http://www.grisoft.com/

    Online Antitrojan scanner:
    ----------------------
    http://www.trojanscan.com/

    Anti-trojan programs:
    ----------------------
    Trojan Remover
    http://www.simplysup.com/

    Trojan Hunter
    http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp

    Trojan Defence Suite (TDS-3)
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

    Tauscan
    http://www.agnitum.com/products/tauscan/

    Anti-spyware:
    ---------------------
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Spyware Blaster

    HijackThis
    http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:15:34 -0000, in
    <3fb3f478$0$12675$>
    James Langley scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 13, 2003
  4. James Langley

    Richard Guest

    James! wrote:

    > I have just realised I have a very suspicious program running in my
    > start-up. It is kind of a hybrid of MIRC but with ablack screen and a
    > program icon with a cross in it. It automatically starts and I can hear
    > it pinging in the background, only I can't stop it!

    > Any ideas please?????

    > James

    Reformat hard drive.
    install linux.

    Richard, Nov 13, 2003
  5. James Langley

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:47:32 -0600, "Richard" <anonymous@127.000>
    wrote:

    > James! wrote:
    >
    > > I have just realised I have a very suspicious program running in my
    > > start-up. It is kind of a hybrid of MIRC but with ablack screen and a
    > > program icon with a cross in it. It automatically starts and I can hear
    > > it pinging in the background, only I can't stop it!

    > > Any ideas please?????

    > > James

    >Reformat hard drive.
    >install linux.

    No. People who can't deal correctly with Windows have no business
    messing with Linux. :)

    [ Doc Jeff ], Nov 14, 2003