    its running win 98 norton system works..but i think that was turned off and
    even this program has trouble running. he can't backup his sacred files bcoz
    burner has even stopped working! is there nething that can b done!
    Ben Yarnold, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Ben Yarnold

    Mike Guest

    Ben Yarnold wrote:

    > on another topic... im helping my friend out he's got alot of problems... it
    > is infected with 28 malicious spyware according to spybot. i have since
    > tried to clean it up with spybot only... and ran into some major problems
    > with the whole system.. and when i run spybot and clean everything i do
    > another search and it says a DSO exploit is still present. it never gets
    > cleaned. so i restored them back and am stuck on how 2 get rid of them...
    > its running win 98 norton system works..but i think that was turned off and
    > even this program has trouble running. he can't backup his sacred files bcoz
    > burner has even stopped working! is there nething that can b done!

    Try typing spybot DSO exploit into Google
    Mike, Apr 5, 2005

  3. Ben Yarnold

    winged Guest

    Ben Yarnold wrote:
    > on another topic... im helping my friend out he's got alot of problems... it
    > is infected with 28 malicious spyware according to spybot. i have since
    > tried to clean it up with spybot only... and ran into some major problems
    > with the whole system.. and when i run spybot and clean everything i do
    > another search and it says a DSO exploit is still present. it never gets
    > cleaned. so i restored them back and am stuck on how 2 get rid of them...
    > its running win 98 norton system works..but i think that was turned off and
    > even this program has trouble running. he can't backup his sacred files bcoz
    > burner has even stopped working! is there nething that can b done!

    No miracle required. Provide your friend a tissue, find the system disk
    , make sure it is write protected. Get to to command prompt. Type
    format C: /S

    ;-)

    Spybot is fairly reliable for spyware detection however numerous
    exploits can bypass it.

    I would probably never trust the system even after it "seemed" clean.
    You will spend more time fixing it than it will take rebuilding it.
    Some exploits replace critical DLLs. Since the OS is 98 it will be
    difficult to secure however first stop is a good firewall, have it
    available for load before you even touch the net. Don't use IE as the
    browser, and don't use outlook as the mail client. Ensure a good AV
    solution is used.

    Winged
    winged, Apr 6, 2005
  4. Ben Yarnold

    winged Guest

    winged wrote:
    > Ben Yarnold wrote:
    >
    >> on another topic... im helping my friend out he's got alot of
    >> problems... it is infected with 28 malicious spyware according to
    >> spybot. i have since tried to clean it up with spybot only... and ran
    >> into some major problems with the whole system.. and when i run spybot
    >> and clean everything i do another search and it says a DSO exploit is
    >> still present. it never gets cleaned. so i restored them back and am
    >> stuck on how 2 get rid of them... its running win 98 norton system
    >> works..but i think that was turned off and even this program has
    >> trouble running. he can't backup his sacred files bcoz burner has even
    >> stopped working! is there nething that can b done!
    >>

    > No miracle required. Provide your friend a tissue, find the system disk
    > , make sure it is write protected. Get to to command prompt. Type
    > format C: /S
    >

    > ;-)
    >
    > Spybot is fairly reliable for spyware detection however numerous
    > exploits can bypass it.
    >
    > I would probably never trust the system even after it "seemed" clean.
    > You will spend more time fixing it than it will take rebuilding it. Some
    > exploits replace critical DLLs. Since the OS is 98 it will be difficult
    > to secure however first stop is a good firewall, have it available for
    > load before you even touch the net. Don't use IE as the browser, and
    > don't use outlook as the mail client. Ensure a good AV solution is used.
    >
    > Winged

    Opps My bad, please ignore my previous response. I was in bed thinking
    about response and remembered DSO exploit and how spybot used to have an
    issue with this, though I didn't think it was the 1.3 version. I went
    to the spybot home site and found this
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/36.html
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/paragraphs/currentfaqs.html
    etc.

    Are you running the current 1.3 version and is it current with the
    latest update? I remembered this was an issue once upon a time with
    spybot 1.2. It would report it fixed the issue and the exploit was
    always reported unfixed.

    I wouldn't be too concerned with the report but the current version
    updated catches many more things. There is a huge difference in
    functionality between 1.2 and 1.3 irrespective of what appears to be a
    minor version change. You can grab the current version from
    www.majorgeeks.com under spyware utilities be sure to run the update
    before you scan the system. Run it in expert mode. 1.3 does not require
    shutting down the client and restart of tool. The real power of spybot
    is found in the expert mode menus above the basic scanning capability.

    winged
    winged, Apr 6, 2005
  5. Ben Yarnold

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:47:09 GMT, "Ben Yarnold" <>
    wrote:

    >on another topic... im helping my friend out he's got alot of problems... it
    >is infected with 28 malicious spyware according to spybot. i have since
    >tried to clean it up with spybot only... and ran into some major problems
    >with the whole system.. and when i run spybot and clean everything i do
    >another search and it says a DSO exploit is still present. it never gets
    >cleaned. so i restored them back and am stuck on how 2 get rid of them...
    >its running win 98 norton system works..but i think that was turned off and
    >even this program has trouble running. he can't backup his sacred files bcoz
    >burner has even stopped working! is there nething that can b done!

    Get adaware and run that.

    http://www.lavasoft.de
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Apr 6, 2005
  6. Ben Yarnold

    Casper Guest

    Ben Yarnold wrote:
    > on another topic... im helping my friend out he's got alot of problems... it
    > is infected with 28 malicious spyware according to spybot. i have since
    > tried to clean it up with spybot only... and ran into some major problems
    > with the whole system.. and when i run spybot and clean everything i do
    > another search and it says a DSO exploit is still present. it never gets
    > cleaned. so i restored them back and am stuck on how 2 get rid of them...
    > its running win 98 norton system works..but i think that was turned off and
    > even this program has trouble running. he can't backup his sacred files bcoz
    > burner has even stopped working! is there nething that can b done!

    Whats needed is you need to talk like an adult, by learning to spell,
    AND quit using numbers in place of words.
    Casper, Apr 7, 2005