  1. mimiseh

    mimiseh Guest

    Does anyone know what mips stands for ? Thanks...
    mimiseh, Dec 8, 2004

  2. mimiseh

    Bob Goddard Guest

    mimiseh wrote:

    > Does anyone know what mips stands for ? Thanks...

    Yes, and so does Google.
    Bob Goddard, Dec 8, 2004

  3. In article <7mItd.18$>,
    mimiseh <> wrote:
    :Does anyone know what mips stands for ? Thanks...

    Like most acronyms, it has several meanings.

    The oldest computer-related one I know of is "Millions of Instructions
    Per Second". That was followed not long afterwards by
    "Meaningless Indicator of Performance.

    MIPS is also the name of one of the larger companies in the
    embedded CPU market. They also used to make general purpose CPUs,
    but they went mostly embedded especially after SGI bought them
    and sold them again a few years later.
    --
    Take care in opening this message: My grasp on reality may have shaken
    loose during transmission!
    Walter Roberson, Dec 8, 2004