Minox missing on Dpreview...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ThomasH, Aug 20, 2005.

  1. ThomasH

    ThomasH Guest

    I always keep wondering, why Mionox cameras will not be
    listed or tested by Dpreview. Of course I asked them per
    email, and in traditional Dpreview fashion, there was no
    answer.

    Dpreview lists numerous, let me call them so, marginal
    companies, which are out of digital camera production
    anyway. Examples: Sanyo, JVC, even Agfa (which still
    gets over 1000 hits per week, albiet they stopped to make
    consumer cameras at 1.n Mpix models and cancelled their
    digital camera division.)

    In contrast to this, Minox is well and alive:

    http://www.minox.com/minox2002/page...xx_mi=S#produkte#digitalkameras$nav_produkte&

    Especially their classic Leica M3 miniature is now
    in its 4Mpix version, weight mere 95g (3oz approx).

    I would like to see someplace a test and detailed
    description. Seemingly, there are none...

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Aug 20, 2005

  2. ThomasH

    Canongirly Guest

    "ThomasH" <> wrote in message
    >I always keep wondering, why Mionox cameras will not be
    > listed or tested by Dpreview. Of course I asked them per
    > email, and in traditional Dpreview fashion, there was no
    > answer.
    >
    > Dpreview lists numerous, let me call them so, marginal
    > companies, which are out of digital camera production
    > anyway. Examples: Sanyo, JVC, even Agfa (which still
    > gets over 1000 hits per week, albiet they stopped to make
    > consumer cameras at 1.n Mpix models and cancelled their
    > digital camera division.)
    >
    > In contrast to this, Minox is well and alive:
    >
    > http://www.minox.com/minox2002/page...xx_mi=S#produkte#digitalkameras$nav_produkte&
    >
    > Especially their classic Leica M3 miniature is now
    > in its 4Mpix version, weight mere 95g (3oz approx).
    >
    > I would like to see someplace a test and detailed
    > description. Seemingly, there are none...
    >
    > Thomas

    Gee perhaps that's because they haven't had the opportunity to test it?
    FYI the do have two Leicas on the site.

    Canongirly, Aug 20, 2005

  3. ThomasH

    wavelength Guest

    Aren't Minox those things that chew on power cables in Star Wars..??

    :0)~

    wavelength, Aug 20, 2005
  4. ThomasH

    Paul H. Guest

    "wavelength" <> wrote in message
    > Aren't Minox those things that chew on power cables in Star Wars..??
    >
    > :0)~

    These are a related species that chew on your wallet instead.

    Paul H., Aug 21, 2005
  5. ThomasH

    Paul H. Guest

    "ThomasH" <> wrote in message
    > I always keep wondering, why Mionox cameras will not be
    > listed or tested by Dpreview. Of course I asked them per
    > email, and in traditional Dpreview fashion, there was no
    > answer.

    Maybe it's because most Minox offerings have a relatively high "ho-hum"
    factor. However, the toy-sized "Leica" cameras are cute and the (synthetic)
    diamond-studded round cameras are, well, just perfect for bringing a sense
    of style to the recently lobotomized. Funny, but of all the times I wished
    my camera had this-or-that feature, I don't believe I ever once said to
    myself, "Gee, I sure wish the body looked like the Starship Enterprise with
    an eating disorder."

    Paul H., Aug 21, 2005
  6. ThomasH

    ThomasH Guest

    On 20-Aug-05 23:00, Paul H. wrote:
    > "ThomasH" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I always keep wondering, why Mionox cameras will not be
    >>listed or tested by Dpreview. Of course I asked them per
    >>email, and in traditional Dpreview fashion, there was no
    >>answer.

    > Maybe it's because most Minox offerings have a relatively high "ho-hum"
    > factor. However, the toy-sized "Leica" cameras are cute and the (synthetic)
    > diamond-studded round cameras are, well, just perfect for bringing a sense
    > of style to the recently lobotomized. Funny, but of all the times I wished
    > my camera had this-or-that feature, I don't believe I ever once said to
    > myself, "Gee, I sure wish the body looked like the Starship Enterprise with
    > an eating disorder."

    I think that our Maker in its infinite wisdom must have thought
    something in providing us with this amazing variety of imaginations...
    Minox and eating disorder!! I think that by this association you
    just hit the spot for the most bizarre malfunction of the human
    reasoning processor.

    Minox is a traditional manufacturer of miniature cameras. They are
    in business for untold years and their most important contribution
    was to provide workhorses for the entire intelligence gathering
    community. From governmental, over industrial down to fantasy
    characters with a double-o number, they all run with a Minox in
    their pocket (or elsewhere, for that matter...) Nothing surpassed
    Minoxes in the combination of a tiny size, silent operation and
    astonishing image quality. Of course photographers and private
    people liked Minoxes for the same features as travel or event
    cameras.

    Their micro cameras were always equipped by top glass, sure
    eclipsing what an average Nikon or Canon would provide you with.
    Their former association with Leica allowed them to make their
    famous Leica miniatures.

    And I would like to get such a miniature for myself, as a camera
    which I would take with me in my pocket to an event. However,
    in the present time still sensors make the pictures. I would
    like to see some images made with this Minox first... I can
    imagine that they share the problem with Leica (or with Nikon
    for that matter!) in getting their hands on decent low noise
    sensors.

    Thomas

    ThomasH, Aug 21, 2005