Minox boss tells it like it is, and is "corrected."

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jan 20, 2012.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jan 20, 2012

  2. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 20, 12:34 pm, Mxsmanic <> wrote:
    > "Corrected" in the sense of _The Shining_?

    Maybe not to that extreme.

    RichA, Jan 20, 2012

  3. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Robert Coe, Jan 21, 2012
  4. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:12:52 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    >: Compact P&S cameras are DYING! Everyone knows it.
    >:
    >: http://www.amateurphotographer.co.u...ent_on_compact_camera_future_news_311127.html
    >
    >I can't make the link come up. What did he say, and what happened to him?

    MINOX ISSUES STATEMENT ON COMPACT CAMERA FUTURE
    Tuesday 17th January 2012
    Chris Cheesman

    Minox has issued a statement on the future of its 'point-and-shoot'
    compact cameras after the firm's managing director suggested they were
    no longer worth investing in.

    Last week Minox's managing director Thorsten Kortemeier hinted to
    Amateur Photographer that the firm was pulling out of the digital
    compact camera market in the face of increased competition from camera
    phones.

    Speaking at the PMA@CESshow in Las Vegas on 12 January, Kortemeier
    said: 'We will not do any more compact cameras. I will not invest in
    them any more.'

    Five days later, Minox's PR unit swung into action, claiming his
    comments have sparked a flood of enquiries to the company's HQ in
    Germany with 'the number of Tweets (Twitter) and telephone enquiries
    from the local press increasing by the hour'.

    In a subsequent statement issued in a bid to clarify the matter this
    afternoon, Minox apologised for any 'misunderstanding' and said its MD
    had 'attempted to express the following':

    'According to GfK (community for market research), the market for
    digital cameras as a whole has gone markedly down, largely due to the
    increased use of mobile phones as a camera.

    'For this reason, Minox is concentrating on digital camera niche
    products such as the Digital Camera Classic, Spy Camera, trail cameras
    and sport optics products, making more than 60% of the gross turnover
    for Minox.

    'Despite this, Minox will continue to market a small assortment of
    digital compact cameras, such as the new DC 1611 with 16MP to be
    introduced in May.'

    A Minox spokesperson conceded that the firm will not be launching as
    many models in future, possibly as few as one or two per year.

    It is unclear whether production of the new DC 1611 has already
    started.

    Bruce, Jan 21, 2012