    and is available in original new condition. This is the original set "MADE
    IN GERMANY". If interested, please respond to for
    photos. You can also call @ 7138613275.
    NEWS, Jul 13, 2004

  2. NEWS

    Alan D-W Guest

    "NEWS" <> wrote in message
    news:1JWIc.8334$...
    > Minox B "spy camera, complete with original leather case, instruction

    book,
    > box, and lanyard/ range finder. The CAMERA is built-in with EXPOSURE METER
    > and is available in original new condition. This is the original set "MADE
    > IN GERMANY". If interested, please respond to for
    > photos. You can also call @ 7138613275.

    A) Not a digital camera
    B) Spam
    C) Go away
    Alan D-W, Jul 13, 2004

  3. NEWS

    Zebedee Guest

    "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message

    > "NEWS" <> wrote in message
    > > Minox B "spy camera, complete with original leather case, instruction

    > book,
    > > box, and lanyard/ range finder. The CAMERA is built-in with EXPOSURE

    METER
    > > and is available in original new condition. This is the original set

    "MADE
    > > IN GERMANY". If interested, please respond to for
    > > photos. You can also call @ 7138613275.
    > >

    > A) Not a digital camera
    > B) Spam
    > C) Go away

    The guy doesn't know what he's talking about...

    If it was a German model, it would say Made in W. Germany.
    If it's more modern then it's a piece of junk.
    If it's the original Latvian model made between the wars, it's worth quite a
    bit but is unlikely to have got as far as wherever that silly-looking
    telephone number is.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)
    Zebedee, Jul 13, 2004
  4. NEWS

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Zebedee wrote:
    > "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"NEWS" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Minox B "spy camera, complete with original leather case, instruction

    >>book,
    >>
    >>>box, and lanyard/ range finder. The CAMERA is built-in with EXPOSURE

    > METER
    >
    >>>and is available in original new condition. This is the original set

    > "MADE
    >
    >>>IN GERMANY". If interested, please respond to for
    >>>photos. You can also call @ 7138613275.
    >>>

    >>A) Not a digital camera
    >>B) Spam
    >>C) Go away

    > The guy doesn't know what he's talking about...
    >
    > If it was a German model, it would say Made in W. Germany.
    > If it's more modern then it's a piece of junk.
    > If it's the original Latvian model made between the wars, it's worth quite a
    > bit but is unlikely to have got as far as wherever that silly-looking
    > telephone number is.

    That silly telephone number is in the Houston, Tx. area. And it is
    probably no sillier than yours.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 13, 2004
  5. NEWS

    Zebedee Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >> That silly telephone number is in the Houston, Tx. area. And it is

    > probably no sillier than yours.

    That number could be anywhere. No area code - no country code (in an
    international NG). Not even a country name. No indication as to whether it's
    a premium rate rip-off number or what.

    Zebedee, Jul 13, 2004
  6. NEWS

    Sabineellen Guest

    >If it's more modern then it's a piece of junk.

    I'm not really familiar with the Minox B model, but i think "a piece of junk"
    is way too harsh. Those cameras have their people, even if you don't appreciate
    them.
    Sabineellen, Jul 14, 2004
  7. NEWS

    JeffS Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:58:59 +0100, "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >"Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    >>> That silly telephone number is in the Houston, Tx. area. And it is

    >> probably no sillier than yours.

    >That number could be anywhere. No area code - no country code (in an
    >international NG). Not even a country name. No indication as to whether it's
    >a premium rate rip-off number or what.

    The NNTP posting host resolves to the southwest U.S. Posted via Prodigy
    and the sender address indicates the U.S. Therefore the first 3 didgits
    are the area code and that traces to Houston, Texas. Not very tough
    detective work.

    Jeff
    ----
    Note: To send an email response, please remove 'spam.sux.'
    from the address in the 'From:' field.
    JeffS, Jul 14, 2004
  8. NEWS

    Zebedee Guest

    "JeffS" <> wrote in message
    > The NNTP posting host resolves to the southwest U.S. Posted via Prodigy
    > and the sender address indicates the U.S. Therefore the first 3 didgits
    > are the area code and that traces to Houston, Texas. Not very tough
    > detective work.

    Why should I bother hunting to find information when it should be clearly
    presented in a posting. I have better things to do that hunt down every
    single posting for its origin.

    Zebedee, Jul 14, 2004
  9. NEWS

    Frank ess Guest

    Zebedee wrote:
    > "JeffS" <> wrote in message
    >> The NNTP posting host resolves to the southwest U.S. Posted via
    >> Prodigy and the sender address indicates the U.S. Therefore the
    >> first 3 didgits are the area code and that traces to Houston, Texas.
    >> Not very tough detective work.

    > Why should I bother hunting to find information when it should be
    > clearly presented in a posting. I have better things to do that hunt
    > down every single posting for its origin.

    "Than". He means "than hunt down..."
    Frank ess, Jul 14, 2004
  10. NEWS

    Crownfield Guest

    Zebedee wrote:

    > "JeffS" <> wrote in message
    > > The NNTP posting host resolves to the southwest U.S. Posted via Prodigy
    > > and the sender address indicates the U.S. Therefore the first 3 didgits
    > > are the area code and that traces to Houston, Texas. Not very tough
    > > detective work.

    > Why should I bother hunting to find information when it should be clearly
    > presented in a posting. I have better things to do that hunt down every
    > single posting for its origin.

    and one of them seems to be talking or posting
    about things you do not understand.

    Crownfield, Jul 14, 2004
  11. NEWS

    Zebedee Guest

    "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > Zebedee wrote:
    > >
    > > "JeffS" <> wrote in message
    > > > The NNTP posting host resolves to the southwest U.S. Posted via

    Prodigy
    > > > and the sender address indicates the U.S. Therefore the first 3

    didgits
    > > > are the area code and that traces to Houston, Texas. Not very tough
    > > > detective work.

    > > Why should I bother hunting to find information when it should be

    clearly
    > > presented in a posting. I have better things to do that hunt down every
    > > single posting for its origin.

    > and one of them seems to be talking or posting
    > about things you do not understand.

    *plonk*
    Zebedee, Jul 14, 2004
  12. NEWS

    Crownfield Guest

    Zebedee wrote:

    > "Crownfield" <> wrote in message
    > > Zebedee wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "JeffS" <> wrote in message

    > Prodigy

    > didgits
    > > >
    > > > Why should I bother hunting to find information when it should be

    > clearly
    > > > presented in a posting. I have better things to do that hunt down every
    > > > single posting for its origin.

    > > and one of them seems to be talking or posting
    > > about things you do not understand.

    > *plonk*

    note to self:

    handles criticism badly.
    Crownfield, Jul 14, 2004
  13. NEWS

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Zebedee wrote:
    > "JeffS" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The NNTP posting host resolves to the southwest U.S. Posted via Prodigy
    >>and the sender address indicates the U.S. Therefore the first 3 didgits
    >>are the area code and that traces to Houston, Texas. Not very tough
    >>detective work.

    > Why should I bother hunting to find information when it should be clearly
    > presented in a posting. I have better things to do that hunt down every
    > single posting for its origin.

    Until very recently, most Internet users were in the US, so it wouldn't
    be a vast leap of faith to make the assumption that any number posted
    was a US number. Many people are unaware (or just don't care) that the
    internet is global. A bit arrogant, perhaps, but there you are.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 14, 2004
  14. NEWS

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Zebedee wrote:

    > "JeffS" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>The NNTP posting host resolves to the southwest U.S. Posted via Prodigy
    >>and the sender address indicates the U.S. Therefore the first 3 didgits
    >>are the area code and that traces to Houston, Texas. Not very tough
    >>detective work.

    > Why should I bother hunting to find information when it should be clearly
    > presented in a posting. I have better things to do that hunt down every
    > single posting for its origin.

    news.ukonline.co.uk
    See how hard that is.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 14, 2004
  15. NEWS

    SamSez Guest

    "Zebedee" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "JeffS" <> wrote in message
    > > The NNTP posting host resolves to the southwest U.S. Posted via Prodigy
    > > and the sender address indicates the U.S. Therefore the first 3 didgits
    > > are the area code and that traces to Houston, Texas. Not very tough
    > > detective work.

    > Why should I bother hunting to find information when it should be clearly
    > presented in a posting. I have better things to do that hunt down every
    > single posting for its origin.
    >
    > --
    > Yours
    >
    > Zebedee
    >
    > (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    > to escape paying his debts to
    > Dougal and Florence)

    You need a detective to turn 7138613275 into 713-861-3275 ?

    Sigh...
    SamSez, Jul 14, 2004
  16. NEWS

    Ron G Guest

    Here's what I could learn about this camera per an inventory of old
    cameras archived on a University of Texas server. To quote directly:

    Manufactured: 1958-72
    Lens: Complan f/3.5, 15 mm 4-element
    Shutter: sliding leaf 1/2 - 1/1000, B, T
    Quantity Made: 384,328
    Original List Price: $169.95?
    Country of Origin: Germany
    Film Format: Minox (9.5 mm cartridge)
    This was the most popular Minox camera, and the first to include a
    built-in meter. The image size is 8 x 11 mm, and the lens focusses from
    8 in. to infinity, making it useful for copying documents. It accepts
    films with ASA ratings from 16 to 640. There are also built-in green and
    gray (neutral density or ND) filters. There is no f-stop setting, since
    the aperture is always wide op

    With this as background the seller's description is not far off the mark
    and a lot of the back and forth in this thread is a waste of time.

    Ron G, Jul 14, 2004
  17. NEWS

    WhaleShark Guest

    Frank ess wrote:

    > Zebedee wrote:
    >> "JeffS" <> wrote in message
    >>> The NNTP posting host resolves to the southwest U.S. Posted via
    >>> Prodigy and the sender address indicates the U.S. Therefore the
    >>> first 3 didgits are the area code and that traces to Houston, Texas.
    >>> Not very tough detective work.

    >> Why should I bother hunting to find information when it should be
    >> clearly presented in a posting. I have better things to do that hunt
    >> down every single posting for its origin.

    > "Than". He means "than hunt down..."

    You think so?

    --

    QUIPd 1.02: (49 of 679)
    -> Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill
    WhaleShark, Jul 14, 2004
  18. NEWS

    Frank ess Guest

    WhaleShark wrote:
    > Frank ess wrote:
    >
    >> Zebedee wrote:
    >>> "JeffS" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Why should I bother hunting to find information when it should be
    >>> clearly presented in a posting. I have better things to do that hunt
    >>> down every single posting for its origin.

    >> "Than". He means "than hunt down..."

    > You think so?

    Ayuh.
    Frank ess, Jul 14, 2004
  19. NEWS

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sabineellen wrote:

    >>If it's more modern then it's a piece of junk.

    > I'm not really familiar with the Minox B model, but i think "a piece of junk"
    > is way too harsh. Those cameras have their people, even if you don't appreciate
    > them.

    I have had a Minox B since the early 1960's. I am sure that were I to
    haul it out and dust it off, it would still take great pictures, just
    like it did 40 years ago. Built like a jewel.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 14, 2004
  20. Ron Hunter <> wrote:

    > Sabineellen wrote:
    >
    > >>If it's more modern then it's a piece of junk.

    > > I'm not really familiar with the Minox B model, but i think "a piece of
    > > junk" is way too harsh. Those cameras have their people, even if you
    > > don't appreciate them.

    > I have had a Minox B since the early 1960's. I am sure that were I to
    > haul it out and dust it off, it would still take great pictures, just
    > like it did 40 years ago.

    My mother had one from about the same time, and I inherited it when she
    died. The image quality was starting to deteriorate so I now suspect it
    needed an overhaul, but it got stolen when my sister's place was burgled
    so I'll never know.

    > Built like a jewel.

    Indeed. There was a deliciously smooth whirring sound/feel as the dials
    turned. The techniques I learnt for bracing that tiny camera while
    pressing the shutter have come in handy later.

    But it was a hassle getting that special film sent away for developing.

    Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
    Louise Bremner, Jul 14, 2004