    Is there a way to configure Thunderbird so that new messages are not
    hidden behind the preview pane? I like the preview pane and would rather
    not disable it.

    History Fan, May 5, 2007

  2. History Fan

    Guest

    On May 4, 4:42 pm, "History Fan" <>
    wrote:
    > I'm using the latest version of Thunderbird on my Windows XP SP2
    > computer. Outlook Express 6 is still my default email and newsgroup
    > program. However, I thought I would tinker around with this newest version
    > of Thunderbird.
    >
    > One minor, but annoying feature remains with version 2.0. When I
    > installed Thunderbird, I had it import my old email messages, of which there
    > are several. When I receive a new email and open it with Thunderbird, this
    > new message is at the bottom of the screen, hidden (sometimes partially
    > hidden) behind the preview pane. I can easily find it by clicking the
    > scroll bar a few times, but I find that a tad annoying, and something I
    > never have to do with Outlook Express.
    >
    > Is there a way to configure Thunderbird so that new messages are not
    > hidden behind the preview pane? I like the preview pane and would rather
    > not disable it.

    did you look under View, Sort By?

    Did you try clicking on the Date column so new messages are on top?

    , May 5, 2007

  3. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    > did you look under View, Sort By?
    >
    > Did you try clicking on the Date column so new messages are on top?

    Messages are sorted by date, which is what I want. And I prefer to
    have the newest email messages at the bottom. So I guess there is nothing I
    can do about this.

    History Fan, May 5, 2007
  4. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    >> did you look under View, Sort By?
    >>
    >> Did you try clicking on the Date column so new messages are on top?

    > Messages are sorted by date, which is what I want. And I prefer to
    > have the newest email messages at the bottom. So I guess there is nothing I
    > can do about this.

    the way it's supposed to work is that each time you click the Date
    column header button the sort order reverses. That is, from A-Z to Z-A,
    etc.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 5, 2007
  5. History Fan

    Guest

    On May 5, 3:26 am, "History Fan" <>
    wrote:
    > > did you look under View, Sort By?

    > > Did you try clicking on the Date column so new messages are on top?

    > Messages are sorted by date, which is what I want. And I prefer to
    > have the newest email messages at the bottom. So I guess there is nothing I
    > can do about this.

    if you want them at the bottom, then how are you to see them? Try one
    of the other settings under View, Layout and see what happens.

    , May 5, 2007
  6. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On May 5, 3:26 am, "History Fan" <>
    > wrote:
    >> > did you look under View, Sort By?

    >> > Did you try clicking on the Date column so new messages are on top?

    >> Messages are sorted by date, which is what I want. And I prefer to
    >> have the newest email messages at the bottom. So I guess there is
    >> nothing I
    >> can do about this.

    > if you want them at the bottom, then how are you to see them? Try one
    > of the other settings under View, Layout and see what happens.

    This is difficult to explain in writing. With my Outlook Express, new
    emails are listed at the bottom of the list. When there are more email
    messages in the window that can be displayed, the older messages are pushed
    upward and you cannot see them unless you use the scroll bar. This format
    means new messages are always available to see when they arrive, even if you
    have 500 emails in your inbox. With Thunderbird, in an inbox with more
    messages than can be displayed, new messages are pushed downward and are
    hidden, and I have to scroll down to see them. Yes, there are other
    layouts, but I'm not sure that would fix this.

    History Fan, May 5, 2007
  7. History Fan

    Ed Mullen Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >>> Messages are sorted by date, which is what I want. And I prefer to
    >>> have the newest email messages at the bottom. So I guess there is
    >>> nothing I
    >>> can do about this.

    >> if you want them at the bottom, then how are you to see them? Try one
    >> of the other settings under View, Layout and see what happens.
    >>

    > This is difficult to explain in writing. With my Outlook Express, new
    > emails are listed at the bottom of the list. When there are more email
    > messages in the window that can be displayed, the older messages are pushed
    > upward and you cannot see them unless you use the scroll bar. This format
    > means new messages are always available to see when they arrive, even if you
    > have 500 emails in your inbox. With Thunderbird, in an inbox with more
    > messages than can be displayed, new messages are pushed downward and are
    > hidden, and I have to scroll down to see them. Yes, there are other
    > layouts, but I'm not sure that would fix this.

    Aside from any other considerations, if you have 500 emails in your
    Inbox, you are seriously deprived in terms of how to manage email. Not
    to mention asking for a great calamity to befall you "pretty soon."

    Hey, it's you mail program but, honestly, if you store everything in
    your Inbox you are just asking for grief.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 6, 2007
  8. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    > Aside from any other considerations, if you have 500 emails in your Inbox,
    > you are seriously deprived in terms of how to manage email. Not to
    > mention asking for a great calamity to befall you "pretty soon."

    I was just using the number 500 as an example. On average, I have
    about 40 or so emails in my Inbox.

    History Fan, May 6, 2007