    What do you guys think?

    --
    Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

    Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

    Frank ess Guest

    "Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking for a small, take with me all the time camera to supplement

    my
    > Oly C700UZ (for sale BTW--with bracket and FL40 flash and some cards,

    short
    > course) and have decided on either the Oly Stylus 300 or the Minolta Xt.
    > The basic downfall of the M Xt is the lack of WX-proofing of the Oly and

    the
    > Oly has a protruding lens and is a bit bigger and slower to start up.

    Other
    > than this--and price doesn't really matter--which one should I get. I am
    > leaning towards the Minolta simply because it is smaller, faster to use,

    and
    > more likely to be in my pocket.

    I use the Xt daily, and very happily. The pictures are good 3mpxs, it runs
    quickly (opens at widest angle), and can be tricked into "adjustable
    exposure". SDD memory works quick, too.

    What I don't like, including but not limited to: in contrast to the Xi, the
    low-battery light comes on pretty early. Battery is small, but will do close
    to a 128MB card before it requires charge. The front-to-back dimenson is so
    small (good) that I frequently photograph the edge of my left hand, which I
    somehow believe is shading my view-eye (dolt-like), but I am learning.

    What I like, including but not limited to: pictures are pretty sharp under
    normal circumstances. Focuses as close as six inches, at full (105mm
    equivalent?)telephoto fills the frame with a 2.25-inch object, give or take
    an eighth. Records as much non-stop movie as you have memory. Takes a little
    deeper push to turn it off than I was used to with the Xi.

    Frank ess, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Thanks for the tips Frank. I bought the Xt after considering some of the
    other little cameras, including the Stylus 300 and the Optio S. Of the 3, I
    really liked the Oly the best simply because of its WX-proofness--but did
    not like the protruding lens. Same with the Optio S--the lens has to
    extend. Buttons on the S were smaller too. I already have a film Stylus
    for really bad WX--so I went with the Xt this time.

    Overall--I am pretty pleased with the Xt. I got some good pics at a MX
    track on Friday, on a trail ride Saturday (I forgot I had it with me for
    half the ride!) and then out fishing on Sunday (got skunked--happens when
    after Northerns). Down side on the boat--the zoom doesn't reach the dock
    babes!

    Battery life is more than adequate for me. The flash is pretty lame--but
    was expected. Good for around a table however, or for anything inside 10
    feet or so. Got the 128 card. I have not shot a movie yet nor recorded
    sound. It does not "look" like a "real" camera and you can pactically cover
    the whole camera for a discreet shot and it does not intimidate people much
    either. I was surprised how well the camer and its zoom worked at a
    motocross track. Not my camera of choice for the track, but still it worked
    OK. Not really an action shooter however--but you can lock in the focus and
    exposure and pan. I am a happy camper. Oh--it worked well camping over the
    weekend too!

    --
    Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

    Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD, Aug 18, 2003