    anyone know... and does anyone have anything to say about the xi or xg?

    Thanks

    Dave Wolff

    news.active-news.com, May 11, 2004

  2. news.active-news.com

    Thad Guest

    news.active-news.com wrote:

    > I have a Minota X (2.2mp) that I love and want to go to the 3.3 mp version.
    > I know the xi came out after the x, then the xt and now the xg. I see the
    > xi is a little more expensive than the xg and can't figure out why. Does
    > anyone know... and does anyone have anything to say about the xi or xg?

    Is there any particular reason why you want to stick with that series?
    If size is a factor, there a quite a few SD cameras out that are close
    to that size or smaller, and have much better image quality..(Pentax
    Optio S series, Nikon 3700, Sony T1, Canon SD100, etc). The Dimage X
    series photos have that "video capture" look.

    -Thad L.

    Thad, May 11, 2004

  3. news.active-news.com

    Dave Wolff Guest

    Thad,

    Thanks for your reply. I like the fact that the optics in the Minolta STAY
    in the camera. I take photos of the insides of equipment at work and never
    have any problems with fit. I think the Sony T1 is a great camera, if not
    just a little pricy for a 3.2 mp, but the big thing with that camera is that
    the cards and batteries are expensive (I have extra SD cards and Minolta
    batteries of my x)... and the biggie, at least for me, is that there is no
    tripod mounting thread on the T1. Other than that, if I had unlimited
    resources for a new toy, the Sony would be my first choice.

    Dave

    Dave Wolff, May 11, 2004
  4. news.active-news.com

    Mike Henley Guest

    Thad <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > news.active-news.com wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Minota X (2.2mp) that I love and want to go to the 3.3 mp version.
    > > I know the xi came out after the x, then the xt and now the xg. I see the
    > > xi is a little more expensive than the xg and can't figure out why. Does
    > > anyone know... and does anyone have anything to say about the xi or xg?

    > Is there any particular reason why you want to stick with that series?
    > If size is a factor, there a quite a few SD cameras out that are close
    > to that size or smaller, and have much better image quality..(Pentax
    > Optio S series, Nikon 3700, Sony T1, Canon SD100, etc). The Dimage X
    > series photos have that "video capture" look.
    >

    > -Thad L.

    I'm really curious about the Canon SD10... it's tiny but it takes pics
    of a respectable quality. I think this camera will be the ipod of
    digital cameras.

    Overall, in my research of ultracompacts, it seems the canon elph
    series are by far the best.

    Mike Henley, May 11, 2004
  5. news.active-news.com

    Aardyvarky Guest

    > I'm really curious about the Canon SD10... it's tiny but it
    takes pics
    > of a respectable quality. I think this camera will be the ipod of
    > digital cameras.
    >
    > Overall, in my research of ultracompacts, it seems the canon elph
    > series are by far the best.

    Optics wise, yes. The IXUS/Elph series, esp the 400/500 are very good.

    But if you are looking for the tiniest, lightest possible zoom
    digicam, the award probably goes to the Pentax S4i. Allow me a
    little plug : I just bought one and its tiny go-anywhere size is
    amazing. I've not had time to scrutinize the image quality, but I
    bought it for its size and convenience. If I want quality, out comes
    my A1 and 300D.

    Aardyvarky, May 11, 2004
  6. news.active-news.com

    SK Guest

    I have had a Dimage Xt for the past month and love it. I could go on and on
    but if you want comparisons and reviews of the Xt, Xi or Xg go to
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html he really has done a
    great job of giving unbiased reviews of all digital camera.

    SK

    SK, May 11, 2004
  7. news.active-news.com

    Thad Guest

    SK wrote:

    > I have had a Dimage Xt for the past month and love it. I could go on and on
    > but if you want comparisons and reviews of the Xt, Xi or Xg go to
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html he really has done a
    > great job of giving unbiased reviews of all digital camera.

    When has Steve ever given a negative review to any camera model? He does
    almost no scientific testing like Phil Askey of DpReview or Dave at
    Imaging Resource both do.

    **********************
    About the Dimage Xt

    From DC Resource:

    "What I didn't care for:

    Vignetting, fuzzy corners in images; images have "video capture look"
    Higher than average barrel distortion
    Redeye
    No manual controls -- not even white balance
    No AF illuminator
    Small optical viewfinder"
    ************************

    Yeah..those are all of the things I desire in a camera. ;-)

    -Thad L.

    Thad, May 11, 2004
  8. news.active-news.com

    SK Guest

    Well GeeWhiz, take me out and spank me there buddy, got a few anger issues??

    Got the camera, take lots of pics, love it, not a pro, just a regular guy
    who takes a ton of pictures... They look great to me but alas I don't have
    your expert eye or witty charm..

    SK

    SK, May 11, 2004
  9. news.active-news.com

    Thad Guest

    SK wrote:

    > Well GeeWhiz, take me out and spank me there buddy, got a few anger issues??
    >
    > Got the camera, take lots of pics, love it, not a pro, just a regular guy
    > who takes a ton of pictures... They look great to me but alas I don't have
    > your expert eye or witty charm..

    Ha ha. You're a good sport. If you are happy with the camera, then that
    is all that matters. Don't fault me for trying to point out that you
    might be even HAPPIER with another camera. I suppose I have an
    inferiority complex when it comes to image quality. I have owned too
    many crappy cameras in my time.

    Consider one thing..there might be a day when you buy a better camera,
    and you may look back at those thousands of images you took with a
    different perspective. That's what happened to me, friend. That's why I
    am about to buy the Nikon D70.

    -Thad L.

    Thad, May 11, 2004