    Thanks a lot.
    Marco Baldovin
    www.whitewave.it

    whitewave, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Marco,
    I have not made a comparison of the Minolta against any other scanner
    but I strongly suggest you take a serious look at scanners that offer
    an infrared channel for automatic dust removal (ICE).
    AFAIK the Scan Dual IV does not offer this feature.
    Most people with scanning experience (including myself) find the infrared
    channel absolutely essential for high quality slide scanning.
    There is no way you can remove all the dust in a high resolution scan
    yourself.
    Yes - you can remove the most visible dots manually.
    But you can not clean all the smaller dots. There are usually dozens if not
    hundreds of them - especially on older slides.
    And you are thinking of a dedicated slide scanner because you want the
    improved resolution against flatbed - right ?
    My best advice is: forget about any slide-scanner which does not offer
    this infrared cleaning channel.
    Martin

    Martin Doppelbauer, Mar 6, 2004

  3. whitewave

    whitewave Guest

    Thanks a lot, Martin

    >And you are thinking of a dedicated slide scanner because you want the
    >improved resolution against flatbed - right ?

    Yes, I don't need the scanner for pubblishing photos on the web (I
    have a Epson 1670 photo for this), but I need to complete my equipment
    with scanner to print my bw films.
    I don't have a darkroom, but I'm a good photoshop user, so I would
    like to take BW photos with my Contax equip and zeiss lenses, scan
    them, work on them in Photoshop and then printing them in a lab.

    >My best advice is: forget about any slide-scanner which does not offer
    >this infrared cleaning channel.
    >Martin

    Ok, your suggestion will be very useful.

    Regards.

    Marco Baldovin
    www.whitewave.it

    whitewave, Mar 6, 2004