    what do you think about s414 vs olympus c4000 zoom?
    does the second has better autofocus to permit point and shoot?
    thanks and regards
    garik, May 9, 2004

  2. "garik" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > first sorry for my english
    > I've just buy a minolta s414 and I'm disappointed for
    > the AF: quite often my photos looks out of focus, also in good
    > light condition. there's something to do, so I could you it in
    > point and shoot way?

    This is a problem that many users have with the S414 (and the older S304 and
    S404 as well).

    The problem seems to be with the wide-area AF which is the default. Try
    using spot AF instead. This has pretty much solved the problem for me and
    for others too. To do this, turn the dial to M (Multifunction) instead of
    Auto, then go into the menu system and select spot focus. If you don't make
    any other changes, everything else will still be the same and the camera
    will still work in a point-and-shoot way.

    > what do you think about s414 vs olympus c4000 zoom?
    > does the second has better autofocus to permit point and shoot?
    > thanks and regards

    The Olympus C4000 is a very nice camera, but in my opinion your Minolta S414
    is better. You have a really excellent 4x zoom lens (that is, really
    excellent once you get it to focus properly :) ) whereas the C4000 has a 3x
    zoom. Your S414 takes CompactFlash cards, whereas the C4000 takes SmartMedia
    which is more limited as to memory size and has been essentially abandoned
    by all camera makers. (They will undoubtedly keep making SmartMedia for
    years, but it will never be in a size larger than 128MB. CompactFlash is
    already available in several times that size and will get much larger still.
    It's one of the few safe standards.)

    I don't have a C4000, though my nephew does, and he likes his. I do have a
    C2040, which is an older model in the same family. I like the C2040 and it
    hasn't given me autofocus problems, but then it doesn't have wide-area AF
    like the Minolta either. I think if you get out of that wide-area AF mode
    you'll be mostly all right in focusing. (Any AF camera may SOMETIMES give
    autofocus mistakes.) The Minolta's construction seems better quality, more
    solid to me than the Olympus.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, May 10, 2004

  3. garik

    garik Guest

    > The problem seems to be with the wide-area AF which is the default. Try
    > using spot AF instead. This has pretty much solved the problem for me and
    > for others too. To do this, turn the dial to M (Multifunction) instead of
    > Auto, then go into the menu system and select spot focus. If you don't

    make
    > any other changes, everything else will still be the same and the camera
    > will still work in a point-and-shoot way.

    I'll try that
    thanks
    garik, May 10, 2004
  4. "garik" <> wrote in message
    > > The problem seems to be with the wide-area AF which is the default. Try
    > > using spot AF instead. This has pretty much solved the problem for me

    and
    > > for others too. To do this, turn the dial to M (Multifunction) instead

    of
    > > Auto, then go into the menu system and select spot focus. If you don't

    > make
    > > any other changes, everything else will still be the same and the camera
    > > will still work in a point-and-shoot way.

    > I'll try that
    > thanks

    Oops! Correction: You don't need to go into the menu system. Just turn the
    dial to M, then hold in the center button of the controller for a few
    seconds until you see the focus area indicator on the LCD monitor change
    from wide area to a central spot. Actually it will give you a choice of five
    different spots, which you can move around with the controller. Just set it
    (or leave it) on the central one and that's that. You can turn the camera
    off and on and it will stay on spot focus until you change it back (the same
    way, by holding in the controller button).

    This way you can switch back and forth easily from wide area to spot AF just
    by turning the dial back and forth between Auto and M.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, May 10, 2004