Minolta E323 problems

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kokk, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. kokk

    kokk Guest

    Hello eveyone,

    Just bought Minolta E323 camera, the model I thought
    just suited my needs. Yet I have two problems:

    First of all, the noise level on most photos without
    flash is extremely annoing. Also, it's almost impossible
    to get sharp photos in low/medium light.
    Built-in flash does some improvement on the above,
    yet I would like to do some photos with natural colors.
    Just have a look at sample picture done 10 secs ago:

    http://www.icpnet.pl/~ndos/samplepic.jpg

    Can someone advise if symptoms visible above are
    just common for this model, or should I go to
    the shop.

    Second thing is an annoyance I can't go past.
    When I plug the camera to my pc, the camera
    wizard opens up to copy the pictures, but
    that's all - camera is not recognised as
    a removable drive. This makes copying
    recorded movies impossible, and is quite strange,
    because the camera manual states the contrary.
    I'm running Winxp SP1

    Can someone help me in above matters?

    kokk, Dec 22, 2003

  2. kokk

    Alan Browne Guest

    kokk wrote:

    > Hello eveyone,
    >
    > Just bought Minolta E323 camera, the model I thought
    > just suited my needs. Yet I have two problems:
    >
    > First of all, the noise level on most photos without
    > flash is extremely annoing. Also, it's almost impossible
    > to get sharp photos in low/medium light.
    > Built-in flash does some improvement on the above,
    > yet I would like to do some photos with natural colors.
    > Just have a look at sample picture done 10 secs ago:
    >
    > http://www.icpnet.pl/~ndos/samplepic.jpg
    >
    > Can someone advise if symptoms visible above are
    > just common for this model, or should I go to
    > the shop.

    If the sofa was white, then the in camera meter believes that the
    average scene (18% grey) is under more light than is the case. So it
    underexposed. This contributes to the noise everywhere in the image.
    It does not matter that you use or don't use flash, the camera is trying
    to expose for 18% grey....

    When faced with such scenes (a lot of snow is another one), set the exp.
    comp to +1.5 ... +2.0.

    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 23, 2003

  3. kokk

    kokk Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:50:51 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    > If the sofa was white, then the in camera meter believes that the
    > average scene (18% grey) is under more light than is the case. So it
    > underexposed. This contributes to the noise everywhere in the image. It
    > does not matter that you use or don't use flash, the camera is trying to
    > expose for 18% grey....

    Thanks for the advice. To be honest I rushed a little bit with my
    questions,
    before I got familiar with this type of camera. My photos are getting
    better every
    minute though.

    kokk, Dec 23, 2003