    with delivery by Photokina (September-October 2004). One feature unnamed
    will be a big surprise. Look for new 35mm SLRs at PMA, plus at least
    four point-and-shoot upgrades."

    Alan Browne, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Alan Browne

    Joseph Kewfi Guest

    A new toy for you to look forward to.

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message
    news:wu9Cb.37196$...

    http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?article_id=766&section_id=5&page_number=
    5

    Joseph Kewfi, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Joseph Kewfi wrote:

    > A new toy for you to look forward to.

    Considering I have 6 Minolta lenses, none slower than f/2.8,, it is a
    relief to have this path available. I have little doubt that for my
    print work, I will rarely shoot negatives after (when) I get the digital
    camera...which per the report won't be for another year in any case.

    Slides are slides and over half of my work, and that should not change...

    That you consider it a toy is your mis-guided foolishness. Perhaps you
    should move over to the LF group and sneer at mere 4x5?

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    --
    e-meil: there's no such thing as a FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Alan Browne

    Joseph Kewfi Guest

    > That you consider it a toy is your mis-guided foolishness.

    The fact that people like you buy these toys is more to do with your own
    mis-guided foolishness than the necessity of these toys for photographic
    purposes.

    Joseph Kewfi, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Alan Browne, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Joseph Kewfi wrote:

    >>That you consider it a toy is your mis-guided foolishness.

    > The fact that people like you buy these toys is more to do with your own
    > mis-guided foolishness than the necessity of these toys for photographic
    > purposes.

    ....sometimes I wonder if you can read.

    Alan Browne, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Alan Browne

    NJH Guest

    Oh boy. Oh boy. Oh boy.

    Since at present I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 or 20 Maxxum
    lenses (never actually counted 'em), along with flash units and various
    other Maxxum accessories, this is something I am really looking forward to.
    Given Minolta's marketing history, I'll bet it will be a real stunner in
    unexpected some way too.

    Neil

    NJH, Dec 12, 2003
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    NJH wrote:

    > Oh boy. Oh boy. Oh boy.
    >
    > Since at present I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 or 20 Maxxum
    > lenses (never actually counted 'em), along with flash units and various
    > other Maxxum accessories, this is something I am really looking forward to.
    > Given Minolta's marketing history, I'll bet it will be a real stunner in
    > unexpected some way too.
    >
    > Neil

    Me too (6 lenses, 5 of which are 'high end', I've sold off my 'overlap'
    lenses), 2 TC's, 3 flashes and the odds and ends... I've been worrying
    about the devaluation of my lenses if Minolta don't come through...

    Per the pop-photo blurb there will be something particularly novel about
    the new camera, but it appears that Milolta are keeping that under wraps
    for now.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 13, 2003
  9. "NJH" <> wrote in

    > Oh boy. Oh boy. Oh boy.
    >
    > Since at present I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 or 20
    > Maxxum lenses (never actually counted 'em), along with flash units
    > and various other Maxxum accessories, this is something I am
    > really looking forward to. Given Minolta's marketing history, I'll
    > bet it will be a real stunner in unexpected some way too.
    >
    > Neil

    From their marketing department you can bet on it, but how about
    technically...humm. They are going to be using someone else's sensor,
    your choice, Kodak, Sony, whatever, all are known quanities as they are
    in other cameras, but relax most of them perform quite well so whats
    next, oh yes the software, Minolta has a wonderful reputation and
    history in software development. Hasn't it? Well that is what mostly
    camera bodies are today, and their distinguishing features are
    expressed in the operating firmware and supporting software, so remind
    me again why the Minolta is going to be a winner.

    Mike Latondresse, Dec 13, 2003
  10. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Mike Latondresse wrote:

    > From their marketing department you can bet on it, but how about
    > technically...humm. They are going to be using someone else's sensor,
    > your choice, Kodak, Sony, whatever, all are known quanities as they are
    > in other cameras, but relax most of them perform quite well so whats
    > next, oh yes the software, Minolta has a wonderful reputation and
    > history in software development. Hasn't it? Well that is what mostly
    > camera bodies are today, and their distinguishing features are
    > expressed in the operating firmware and supporting software, so remind
    > me again why the Minolta is going to be a winner.

    What examples of 'bad' s/w are there for Minolta? I have their scan s/w
    for my DSE-5400 and it is quite good.

    The "human factors" side of Minolta cameras such as the Maxxum 9 and
    Maxxum 7 has always been top-notch and arguably the best of top end
    SLR's. As the user interface is usually the reflection of good design,
    incl s/w, I expect this will show through in the new camera.

    The 7, 7i, 7Hi have gotten high marks for their useability (less so for
    battery life), so I don't think anyone expects they will do worse with a
    new DSLR. I do hope that it uses AA or CR123 and that it has a grip for
    extra battery storage.

    The rumor out of Germany suggests a 7 Mpix sensor, so resolution should
    not be a factor. What may be a factor is how they do the surface optics
    of the sensor.

    The new camera is further rumored to have quite a large LCD display (pix
    count not spec'd yet). Further there is the promise of something very
    novel about the new camera ... but Minolta are keeping that under wraps
    for the moment.

    Minolta have historically been inovators in SLR technology. That they
    are latecomers to the DSLR game has been frustrating to us Maxxum lens
    owners is tempered by the other side of the coin which is they've taken
    more time to design the camera and to learn from whatever good things
    (and mistakes) the others have done. They make P&S digis, as well as
    the Dimage 7 variants and the A1. They were among the first DSLR makers
    (the "too early" RD-175). eg: Digital and the s/w that goes with them is
    not exactly a mystery to them.

    Speaking of the A1, it has an anti-shake feature that is quite novel.
    As good as IS / VR? No, but much better than nothing, and will not
    require that I buy more lenses.

    This delay has been frustrating to us Maxxum lens owners, OTOH, it
    appears they will come out of the gate at a fairly high pix count and a
    fairly low crop (1.3x per German rumor) sensor.

    In the end, whether you like Minolta or not, it appears they are finally
    meeting the expectation of Minolta glass owners such as myself. I can't
    use my glass on a Nikon or Canon. ( I truly wonder why Sigma didn't
    make the SD-9 in various lens flavours, they would have sold to a lot of
    Minolta owners ).

    I will not be surprised if Minolta's first full DSLR is very good with a
    few weak points, and that the successor product will be stellar. I hope
    that it is at least as good as a 10D. Time will tell.

    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 13, 2003
  11. Minolta are going to play catch up for years now.

    Your 'German' rumours emit from a single 'lunatic' source who predicted a
    Minolta DSLR in the market at September this year.....

    The Japanese rumours come from journo junkets - they always tell the truth
    don't they.....Actually the source is one decoded and unsubstantiated story
    about a Minolta DSLR from a little known Japanese news desk.

    Now I wonder if journos being the hard working people they are, went to
    Japan & spent days pestering the manufacturers & getting inside info. Or did
    they spend days in bars, karaoke & just pull this stuff off the net &
    re-hash it ????

    In Minoltas future business plan waffle, they mention a DSLR but its got a
    flag....don't expect anything too soon.

    too little, too late.....many pro's have gone to DSLR with Nikon or canon &
    sold off their Minolta stuff, I know 2 who have.

    In any case if all Minolta owners are as obnoxious as you, deserve each
    other.....

    Betty Swallocks, Dec 14, 2003
  12. Alan Browne

    NJH Guest

    > Mike Latondresse wrote:
    >

    > > From their marketing department you can bet on it, but how about
    > > technically...humm. They are going to be using someone else's sensor,
    > > your choice, Kodak, Sony, whatever, all are known quanities as they are
    > > in other cameras, but relax most of them perform quite well so whats
    > > next, oh yes the software, Minolta has a wonderful reputation and
    > > history in software development. Hasn't it? Well that is what mostly
    > > camera bodies are today, and their distinguishing features are
    > > expressed in the operating firmware and supporting software, so remind
    > > me again why the Minolta is going to be a winner.

    > What examples of 'bad' s/w are there for Minolta? I have their scan s/w
    > for my DSE-5400 and it is quite good.

    Yes. I don't have the 5400, but I'm very happy with the software Minolta
    supplied with my Scan Dual III (dunno if that's different software) and for
    that matter I like and use the DiMAGE Viewer Utility all the time. I have
    never understood why some people complain about the latter. It's limited of
    course, but then it's not intended to be a substitute for Photoshop or
    anything like that.

    > The "human factors" side of Minolta cameras such as the Maxxum 9 and
    > Maxxum 7 has always been top-notch and arguably the best of top end
    > SLR's. As the user interface is usually the reflection of good design,
    > incl s/w, I expect this will show through in the new camera.
    >
    > The 7, 7i, 7Hi have gotten high marks for their useability (less so for
    > battery life), so I don't think anyone expects they will do worse with a
    > new DSLR. I do hope that it uses AA or CR123 and that it has a grip for
    > extra battery storage.
    >
    > The rumor out of Germany suggests a 7 Mpix sensor, so resolution should
    > not be a factor. What may be a factor is how they do the surface optics
    > of the sensor.
    >
    > The new camera is further rumored to have quite a large LCD display (pix
    > count not spec'd yet). Further there is the promise of something very
    > novel about the new camera ... but Minolta are keeping that under wraps
    > for the moment.
    >
    > Minolta have historically been inovators in SLR technology. That they
    > are latecomers to the DSLR game has been frustrating to us Maxxum lens
    > owners is tempered by the other side of the coin which is they've taken
    > more time to design the camera and to learn from whatever good things
    > (and mistakes) the others have done. They make P&S digis, as well as
    > the Dimage 7 variants and the A1. They were among the first DSLR makers
    > (the "too early" RD-175). eg: Digital and the s/w that goes with them is
    > not exactly a mystery to them.
    >
    > Speaking of the A1, it has an anti-shake feature that is quite novel.
    > As good as IS / VR? No, but much better than nothing, and will not
    > require that I buy more lenses.
    >
    > This delay has been frustrating to us Maxxum lens owners, OTOH, it
    > appears they will come out of the gate at a fairly high pix count and a
    > fairly low crop (1.3x per German rumor) sensor.

    I hope that's right. My friend who went from a Canon EOS 35mm system to
    Canon digital (D30 and then D60, last I talked to him) was not too thrilled
    that his thousand-dollar 17-35mm lens only have him the equivalent of about
    a 28mm lens at the short end. Heh. My 7i and 7Hi do that and in either case
    the whole camera cost me a lot less than his 17-35 cost him.

    If that 1.3x multiplier turns out to be correct, my 17-35 will give me the
    equivalent of about 22mm at the short end. Not too shabby.

    > In the end, whether you like Minolta or not, it appears they are finally
    > meeting the expectation of Minolta glass owners such as myself. I can't
    > use my glass on a Nikon or Canon. ( I truly wonder why Sigma didn't
    > make the SD-9 in various lens flavours, they would have sold to a lot of
    > Minolta owners ).

    I agree. If Sigma can make lenses in those various mounts, why not bodies?

    > I will not be surprised if Minolta's first full DSLR is very good with a
    > few weak points, and that the successor product will be stellar. I hope
    > that it is at least as good as a 10D. Time will tell.

    That's about what I expect too. The Maxxum 7000 after all was a darn good
    camera even though it had to break completely new ground (such as no new
    digital SLR today will have to do), and the second generation was far
    better. I still have a pair of 8000i's and enjoy using 'em from time to
    time.

    Neil

    NJH, Dec 14, 2003
  13. Alan Browne

    NJH Guest

    "Betty Swallocks" <> wrote in message
    > Minolta are going to play catch up for years now.

    I doubt it. Minolta has a history of producing innovative and even
    cutting-edge stuff. It was the *other* camera makers that had to "play catch
    up" after Minolta brought out the Maxxum in 1985, remember.

    &
    > sold off their Minolta stuff, I know 2 who have.

    Then they can sell off their Nikon and Canon stuff and go back to Minolta if
    it produces a camera better for their purposes, can't they? Obviously brand
    loyalty is not a factor there.

    > In any case if all Minolta owners are as obnoxious as you, deserve each
    > other.....

    ???
    What on earth do you find "obnoxious" in his post? No offense, but are you
    some sort of crazy person?

    Neil

    NJH, Dec 14, 2003
  14. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Betty Swallocks wrote:

    > Minolta are going to play catch up for years now.
    >
    > Your 'German' rumours emit from a single 'lunatic' source who predicted a
    > Minolta DSLR in the market at September this year.....

    ....no they are from a German magazine. And what was printed there was
    different enought from the other one as to make them distinct.

    > The Japanese rumours come from journo junkets - they always tell the truth
    > don't they.....Actually the source is one decoded and unsubstantiated story
    > about a Minolta DSLR from a little known Japanese news desk.

    ....no, Pop photo just published it after visiting Minolta.

    > Now I wonder if journos being the hard working people they are, went to
    > Japan & spent days pestering the manufacturers & getting inside info. Or did
    > they spend days in bars, karaoke & just pull this stuff off the net &
    > re-hash it ????

    ...that's what they claim, but you can go around spreading falsehoods if
    you like. (kinda like your Canon 10D v. Sigma SD-9 tests).

    > In Minoltas future business plan waffle, they mention a DSLR but its got a
    > flag....don't expect anything too soon.
    >
    > too little, too late.....many pro's have gone to DSLR with Nikon or canon &
    > sold off their Minolta stuff, I know 2 who have.
    >
    > In any case if all Minolta owners are as obnoxious as you, deserve each
    > other.....

    Since I have an investment in serious Minolta glass, it is perhaps
    natural that I encourage them to go further. I guess you are one of
    those 'smug' brand clowns, so be it. That's your problem.

    Alan Browne, Dec 14, 2003
  15. its nothing to do with Minolta....you are just obnoxious, and that's why you
    are despised so much here by so many.....

    Betty Swallocks, Dec 14, 2003
  16. "Betty Swallocks" <> wrote in message news:<brhhrk$4sf$>...

    > too little, too late.....many pro's have gone to DSLR with Nikon or canon &
    > sold off their Minolta stuff, I know 2 who have.

    Oh right. Have you EVER known a pro that uses Minolta? Minolta caters
    to the amateur, a much bigger market. A pro needs better glass than
    Minolta offers.

    There is room for three D-SLR manufacturers at the consumer level.
    Right now there is only one, Canon. The market is very young. Nikon is
    late, Minolta is late, but it's not too late. What they have lost is
    the highly profitable early adopters that pay the most for new
    products.

    Steven Scharf, Dec 19, 2003
  17. Alan Browne

    NJH Guest

    > > too little, too late.....many pro's have gone to DSLR with Nikon or

    canon &
    > > sold off their Minolta stuff, I know 2 who have.

    > Oh right. Have you EVER known a pro that uses Minolta?

    There have been many pros who use Minolta.

    > Minolta caters
    > to the amateur, a much bigger market.

    They ALL "cater to the amateur" for exactly that reason.

    > A pro needs better glass than
    > Minolta offers.

    Nonsense. Minolta lenses are, generally speaking, the equal of Nikon and
    Canon lenses. Published lens tests show this. They all make expensive
    professional-grade lenses and cheaper consumer-grade lenses.

    > There is room for three D-SLR manufacturers at the consumer level.
    > Right now there is only one, Canon. The market is very young. Nikon is
    > late, Minolta is late, but it's not too late. What they have lost is
    > the highly profitable early adopters that pay the most for new
    > products.

    Whether those new products are "highly profitable" or not just because they
    cost more is not so clear. There are all those R&D costs that have to be
    recovered before there's any profit. And Minolta may be smart to let others
    handle all the new-technology bugs first.

    Consider the field of 35mm SLRs. Minolta was "late" there too, but then went
    on to enormous success. And where are the pioneers? Where's Exakta been for
    the last decade or so? Kaput. How about Praktica? Kaput.

    Neil

    NJH, Dec 19, 2003
  18. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Steven Scharf wrote:

    > "Betty Swallocks" <> wrote in message news:<brhhrk$4sf$>...
    >

    >>too little, too late.....many pro's have gone to DSLR with Nikon or canon &
    >>sold off their Minolta stuff, I know 2 who have.

    > Oh right. Have you EVER known a pro that uses Minolta? Minolta caters
    > to the amateur, a much bigger market. A pro needs better glass than
    > Minolta offers.

    You are one of the entrenched snobs. It is true that Nikon and Canon
    offer more variety of high quality glass (along with crap) and that they
    are used by a lot more pros. Freeman Patterson is one pro who uses
    mainly Minolta. As for glass, Minolta may not have a great variety, but
    in their top glass thay have stellar performers v. Nikon/Canon.

    20mm f/2.8 : Minolta + Nikon tie for best
    35mm f/2.0 : Minolta
    50mm f/2.8 : Minolta
    50mm f/1.4 : Minolta + Canon tie for best
    100mm f/2.8 : Minolta
    200mm f/2.8 : Minolta + Canon tie for best

    Source photodo sharpness/distortion figures.

    And the differences between these lenses are so minor as to be
    imperceptible in almost any image other than a test target.

    Yes, Nikon and Canon have secured the pro market. But to say that the
    lean line of Minolta lenses is not as good as Nikon and Canon is gross
    exageration.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Dec 19, 2003
  19. mmmmmm look what scuttled out from beneath it's rock....

    Betty Swallocks, Dec 20, 2003
  20. (Steven Scharf) writes:

    > Oh right. Have you EVER known a pro that uses Minolta? Minolta caters
    > to the amateur, a much bigger market. A pro needs better glass than
    > Minolta offers.

    A pro may need a lens that Minolta doesn't offer but those he can get
    from Minolta are usually quite good, looking at the G lenses for
    instance.

    --
    Matthias Andree

    Matthias Andree, Dec 22, 2003