    out decent but a pic in a 25'x12' came out VERY grainy.

    Thanks

    CZ
    CZ, May 23, 2004

  2. CZ

    Prometheus Guest

    In article <rL2sc.19873$>, CZ
    <> writes
    >I need suggestions on how to improve indoor pics with this camera. I
    >switched from Auto ISO setting (which goes from 50 to 120 ) to a manual
    >setting of 400 ( max for this camera ) but indoor pics are sill grainy even
    >with all the lights on in the house. Pics in smaller rooms come out less
    >grainy than pics in larger rooms. For example a pic in a 25'x4' hallway came
    >out decent but a pic in a 25'x12' came out VERY grainy.

    If you use a higher speed there will be more noise, either get more
    light or get a camera where the area of the individual pixels is
    greater. You might be able to mask it with some post processing.
    Incidentally I have an Xt and like it for its small size and accept that
    it is not going to be as good as a larger camera.

    --
    Ian G8ILZ
    Prometheus, May 23, 2004

  3. "CZ" <> wrote in message
    > I need suggestions on how to improve indoor pics with this camera. I
    > switched from Auto ISO setting (which goes from 50 to 120 ) to a manual
    > setting of 400 ( max for this camera ) but indoor pics are sill grainy

    even
    > with all the lights on in the house. Pics in smaller rooms come out less
    > grainy than pics in larger rooms. For example a pic in a 25'x4' hallway

    came
    > out decent but a pic in a 25'x12' came out VERY grainy.

    CZ:

    You are going the wrong way. }:) Higher ISO means more amplification on the
    outputs of the sensors, which means that less light is needed to take the
    picture,
    which means the time the shutter is open can be less, which means less
    motion
    blur. BUT higher ISO typically means more digital noise.

    So, to reduce digital noise, use a lower ISO and a longer open shutter.
    This may
    mean you'll need to use a tripod to get a sharp picture, since you will be
    more
    susceptible to camera shake.

    Another alternative is to use a noise clean-up program. I rather like "Neat
    Image",
    which has a "free to use" version.

    Good luck.

    --