    the instructions.

    There seems to be no way of actually starting the thing to scan film.

    Does anyone have any experience of this device?

    alan holmes, Apr 5, 2008

  2. alan holmes

    Don Kirkman Guest

    [Earlier today my newsreader refused to send this to the newsgroup so I tried to
    email it direct to the OP--and it has bounced. Several hours have passed and
    I've had the system down and rebooted in the meantime, so I'm trying again.]

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that alan holmes wrote in article
    <XWRJj.24681$>:

    >I have just purchased a Minolta scanner, but am having trouble interpreting
    >the instructions.

    >There seems to be no way of actually starting the thing to scan film.

    >Does anyone have any experience of this device?

    I bought one recently but haven't done more than a dozen or so scans so I doubt
    I can help. If you provide some details about what you tried, what responses
    you got to different steps, and what settings you're using perhaps someone can
    help even if they're not using a Minolta.

    It looks to be a nice mid-range machine, but other priorities have kept me from
    getting comfortable with mine so far.

    Don Kirkman, Apr 7, 2008

  3. In article <XWRJj.24681$>,
    "alan holmes" <> wrote:

    > I have just purchased a Minolta scanner, but am having trouble interpreting
    > the instructions.
    >
    > There seems to be no way of actually starting the thing to scan film.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience of this device?

    I've had an older Minolta Dimage Scan Dual for several years. It is
    accessed via a SCSI port, and was originally used with a Macintosh
    computer running OS 8 or 9.

    As I recall, there was a Minolta Plug-In that was used with a "Lite"
    version of Photoshop (or other graphics program). From within
    Photoshop, there was a menu item such as Import or Scan, that opened a
    scanner screen. On that screen were all the needed controls for the
    scanner.

    Of course the newer Macintosh computers do not have SCSI ports, and the
    old Plug-In doesn't work with OS X graphics programs. It was necessary
    to find a FireWire-to-SCSI adapter, and a new scanning program to get it
    to work.

    The Scanning program that works, is VueScan.app. When the program is
    run, it senses the presence of the Minolta scanner, and brings up the
    controls needed. I believe there are some SCSI adapters that might not
    be compatible, so you should check on that if it applies to your
    installation.

    VueScan is available for both Macintosh and Windows. You can download
    the demo to verify it works, from http://www.hamrick.com/. They have a
    LONG list of different scanners it works with!

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Apr 7, 2008
  4. alan holmes

    alan holmes Guest

    "alan holmes" <> wrote in message

    > I have just purchased a Minolta scanner, but am having trouble
    > interpreting the instructions.
    >
    > There seems to be no way of actually starting the thing to scan film.
    >
    > Does anyone have any experience of this device?

    Thanks for the responses, will try what has been suggested and hope some
    will work, will come back after I have tried, but as I'm VERY slow, don't
    expect a posting soon!:)-)

    Alan#

    alan holmes, Apr 7, 2008
  5. alan holmes

    Bob Williams Guest

    alan holmes wrote:
    > "alan holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> I have just purchased a Minolta scanner, but am having trouble
    >> interpreting the instructions.
    >>
    >> There seems to be no way of actually starting the thing to scan film.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any experience of this device?

    > Thanks for the responses, will try what has been suggested and hope some
    > will work, will come back after I have tried, but as I'm VERY slow, don't
    > expect a posting soon!:)-)
    >
    > Alan#

    Many scanners are started by your editing software, e.g. Photoshop.
    Open Photoshop (or whatever editing software you are using) and click
    FILE > IMPORT.
    Your Scanner Name should appear in the pop-up menu.
    Click on your Scanner Name and it should turn on.
    The Manual that came with the scanner should describe the process in
    detail. Check it carefully.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Apr 8, 2008