    Would like to hear your comments if you have one of these.
    thanks
    remove niljunk to send e-mail.

    Yamxs850, Jul 11, 2003

  2. > I have a minolta dimage S304 I have returned it to the shop under
    > guarantee,interested to hear other peoples comments on this camera as I am

    not
    > particularly happy with it.
    > Bought new and returned next day as it wa eating batteries they exchanged

    it
    > for another. This one eating batteries (I keep the viewer switched off)
    > sometimes only get 30/40 pics on fine quality image before batteries pack

    in.

    Are you using NiMH rechargeable batteries? Digicams eat alkalines for
    breakfast.

    Cheers,

    -Jorge

    Jorge Alvarez, Jul 11, 2003

  3. Yamxs850

    John O. Guest

    In article <>,
    iljunk says...
    > I have a minolta dimage S304 I have returned it to the shop under
    > guarantee,interested to hear other peoples comments on this camera as I am not
    > particularly happy with it.
    > Bought new and returned next day as it wa eating batteries they exchanged it
    > for another. This one eating batteries (I keep the viewer switched off)
    > sometimes only get 30/40 pics on fine quality image before batteries pack in.
    > On holiday it stopped working for 2 days then just started working again.
    > Sharpness not good and this is using tripod and timer to ensure there is no
    > shake.I have a cheaper Kodak camera and this gives me better quality pics
    > Would like to hear your comments if you have one of these.
    > thanks
    > remove niljunk to send e-mail.

    I've found minolta cameras that take AA cells to be a little more power
    hungery than similar cameras from other makers. For the record, I get to
    compare a lot of cameras and hear alot of feedback. I sell the silly
    things.

    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.

    John O., Jul 11, 2003
  4. Yamxs850

    steve Guest

    I've had an S304 for a few months now and have a few observations:

    Yes, it's seems power hungry, but perhaps only slightly more so than average
    cameras. Your usage is much too high - are you using alkalines? I have
    three sets of 1800 to 2000 mAh NiMH batteries and a fast charger (with car
    cig lighter adapter). Then it becomes a little less of a problem.

    The main grouse I have with the camera is the autofocus. It can be very
    slow and can sometimes fail to get a focus lock at all. Very occasionally
    it will indicate a focus lock and still produce and out of focus shot. Very
    frustrating.

    The manual focus control is not very user friendly. Every time the camera
    goes to sleep and is re-awoken, the manual focus has moved off the previous
    setting.

    HOWEVER, the optics do seem to be pretty good (when it focuses accurately),
    and I get very good photos from it. Also I got it at a pretty good price.
    I'll be sticking with it for some time yet!
    Regards
    Steve
    --
    *** Note: Please remove both socks before replying ***

    steve, Jul 12, 2003
  5. Re: Battery use for Minoltas (was Minolta dimage s304)

    Re:
    > I've found minolta cameras that take AA cells to be a little more power
    > hungery than similar cameras from other makers. For the record, I get to
    > compare a lot of cameras and hear alot of feedback. I sell the silly
    > things.
    >
    > --
    > John O.
    > There is no slack in light attack.

    A lot of reviews made this comment. So much so that I bought 5 sets of 4
    2000mAh rechargeables to complement my 7Hi. I've yet to need more than a
    single reserve set.... Part of this is turning the camera off when you're
    not using it.
    I found from experience that to have different brands makes it easier to
    keep them in sets. Secondly, Jessops (UK) own brand AAs are marginally
    longer than other brands, and need a bit of forcing to go into the battery
    magazine.
    The chances of finding a set of rechargeable AA's in (say) 5 years time is
    infinitely better than trying to find a replacement custom battery. In any
    case, the custom batteries do get exhausted, and at least one spare is
    advisable. Hve you worked out the cost of that?

    Eddie B

    Eddie Bromhead, Jul 12, 2003