Minolta Dimage A2 with Hitachi 4G MD

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ray, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. Ray

    Ray Guest

    Hi

    I am trying to use a Hitachi 4G Micro Drive in my A2. The MD was sold
    as OEM. The drive will not work.in the A2. The A2 knows a card is
    present but does not recognize it as recording media. The playback
    menu is greyed out and the MD could not be formatted in the camera. It
    took a format(FAT 32)in a XP Pro system. The MD functions properly in
    a computer. It will not work in the A2.

    A search of this group showed that the Hitachi 4G MD is also used in
    certain MP3 players and some of these MDs have been configured to be
    unusable in cameras.

    Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution?

    The MD is Hitachi Model # HMS360404D5CF00, Part # 13G1766.

    Free space after formatting is 3.80G.

    The A2 is using firmware v100u.

    A contributor to this group suggested running FDISK on the MD before
    formatting to remove restrictions that may have been part of the MP3
    player setup.

    Would updating to v01.12e firmware correct this problem?

    I need opinions on this before I go any further.

    Thanks

    Ray

    Ray, Sep 11, 2004

  2. Ray

    Tomgo1 Guest

    and when you contacted both Minolta's support and Hitachi's support they
    said????

    Tomgo1, Sep 11, 2004

  3. Ray

    John Bean Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:14:49 -0400, Ray wrote:

    > I am trying to use a Hitachi 4G Micro Drive in my A2.

    <snip>
    >The MD functions properly in a computer. It will not work in the A2.

    The A2 is very fussy about non-standard disks, unfortunately.

    > A search of this group showed that the Hitachi 4G MD is also used in
    > certain MP3 players and some of these MDs have been configured to be
    > unusable in cameras.

    Not exactly. The "new" version will not work as a CF at all, the original
    version usually has a non-standard partition on the disk. This causes no
    problem to XP or to many cameras, but it upsets the A2. Formatting it on XP
    doesn't remove the "hidden" partition. The version you have is almost
    certainly from a Muvo, as is mine - I still have the Muvo I removed it from
    :)

    > Has anyone run into this problem and found a solution?

    Yes. Remove all partitions with a partition editor, I used 7tools. Then use
    XP disk manager to make a single new primary partition and format it FAT32
    with standard cluster size, then it will work in the A2.

    > The MD is Hitachi Model # HMS360404D5CF00, Part # 13G1766.

    Yes, that's the same as the one I removed from a Muvo and use in my A2. It
    didn't work in the A2 until I removed the existing partitions, exactly as
    you have found.

    > A contributor to this group suggested running FDISK on the MD before
    > formatting to remove restrictions that may have been part of the MP3
    > player setup.

    Fdisk might work, try it. The XP disk manager is not up to the job though so
    don't waste your time.

    > Would updating to v01.12e firmware correct this problem?

    No, it wouldn't, but do it anyway. 1.12 fixes a nasty bug that causes
    unexpected camera reboots under certain circumstances.

    The Hitachi drive works well in the A2, it's worth the effort.

    --
    John Bean

    The computing field is always in need of new cliches (Alan Perlis)

    John Bean, Sep 11, 2004
  4. Ray

    Morton Klotz Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:23:55 +0100, John Bean <>
    wrote:

    >> Would updating to v01.12e firmware correct this problem?

    >No, it wouldn't, but do it anyway. 1.12 fixes a nasty bug that causes
    >unexpected camera reboots under certain circumstances.
    >
    >The Hitachi drive works well in the A2, it's worth the effort.

    I an a new owner of an A2. How do I find out what firmware version I
    have and how do I get the updated version?

    Thanks very much.

    Morton Klotz
    Placerville, California

    Morton Klotz, Sep 11, 2004
  5. Ray

    John Bean Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 15:30:57 -0700, Morton Klotz wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:23:55 +0100, John Bean <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>> Would updating to v01.12e firmware correct this problem?

    >>No, it wouldn't, but do it anyway. 1.12 fixes a nasty bug that causes
    >>unexpected camera reboots under certain circumstances.
    >>
    >>The Hitachi drive works well in the A2, it's worth the effort.

    > I an a new owner of an A2. How do I find out what firmware version I
    > have and how do I get the updated version?

    Every thing you need is at Minoltas's site. Here's a link to the downloads
    section:

    http://tinyurl.com/7gzg

    Pick "digital cameras" and "DiMAGE A2" from the drop down lists, along with
    which OS you want it for (Windows or Mac) and it will take you to the
    download page, where you'll find a link to the instructions which tells you
    all you need to know.

    If you just want to look at the instructions page, here's a direct link:

    http://tinyurl.com/4ubgn

    > Thanks very much.

    My pleasure.

    --
    John Bean

    Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual
    way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of
    complaining (Jef Raskin)

    John Bean, Sep 12, 2004
  6. Ray

    Ray Guest

    John Bean has solved the problem.

    I downloaded a copy of 7tools and followed Johns suggestions and the
    Hitachi MD is now working fine in the A2

    Fdisk did not work as John had suspected.

    Thanks John

    Ray

    Ray, Sep 12, 2004
  7. Ray

    Nostrobino Guest

    I'm not familiar with the A2, but on the basically similar 7i and 7Hi models
    you can find the firmware version by turning the control dial to the Setup
    position and then pressing the digital subject program button. The firmware
    version will then appear on the monitor.

    The same procedure works for the F300 and S414, so I presume this is
    Minolta's usual method.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Sep 12, 2004
  8. Ray

    John Bean Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:51:01 -0400, Ray wrote:
    > I downloaded a copy of 7tools and followed Johns suggestions and the
    > Hitachi MD is now working fine in the A2

    You'll need spare batteries now - it's not so much that the Microdrive uses
    more energy but it takes two full charges to fill it up :)

    --
    John Bean

    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
    stupidity (Hanlon's Razor)

    John Bean, Sep 12, 2004