    Can somebody shed some light, please

    Thanks in advance
    Steve
    cymro, Jan 11, 2004

  2. cymro

    Marc Libom Guest

    "cymro" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:btr57u$nlb$...
    > I've read through the specs and can only find two differences :
    > (1). The A1 has a stabilizer - the 7hi doesn't
    > (2). The A1 uses own brand batteries - the 7hi can use use standard AA

    True and very effective, this unique feature itself is worth to choose the
    A1. The battery provides a better power management. With the optional
    battery pack available for the A1, you can use both, the brand batteries or
    standard AA.

    > When choosing between virtually identical specs the possibility of using
    > standard AA has always been one of my priorities. If my choice had been
    > between two different brands then I would opt for the one that uses

    standard
    > batteries, but I can't understand why Minolta has two identical cameras :

    The cameras are not identical. Many minor and major improvements came into
    the A1. The A1 is a real sequel of the succesfull 7 series. Some of the
    differences you missed completely:

    - A1 provides shutter speeds of 1/16000s (7Hi only 1/4000s)
    - A1 has more AWB presets
    - A1 has the much more ergonomic design
    - A1 has a grip sensor (for saving power and fast activation of pre
    focussing)
    - A1 has more easy to access switches for fast changing of the setting,
    especially at the back
    - A1 has the more flexible control wheel, with all creative and scene
    programs on it for quick access
    - A1 LCD is moveable from -20 to 90 degree - extremly useful!
    - A1 has the better and more flexible AF, including 3D predictive AF
    - ...

    If you own a 7Hi already, there is no direct need to change to the A1 if you
    are happy with the 7Hi. But if you want to buy a new one, I can only advise
    to take the A1 because of the many big advantages like better power
    management, AntiShake, flexible LCD, the better handling and the much better
    AF.
    Marc Libom, Jan 11, 2004

  3. cymro

    Leo R. Guest

    "cymro" <> wrote in message
    > Can anybody tell me the difference between the Minolta DiMAGE A1 and the
    > Minolta DiMage 7hi?
    > I've read through the specs and can only find two differences :
    >
    > (1). The A1 has a stabilizer - the 7hi doesn't
    > (2). The A1 uses own brand batteries - the 7hi can use use standard AA
    >
    > When choosing between virtually identical specs the possibility of using
    > standard AA has always been one of my priorities. If my choice had been
    > between two different brands then I would opt for the one that uses

    standard
    > batteries, but I can't understand why Minolta has two identical cameras :

    > must have missed something somewhere!
    >
    > Can somebody shed some light, please
    >

    > Thanks in advance
    > Steve

    They are far from identical Steve. Go here and compare them side by side.
    http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/specification/compare.html

    Leo R
    Leo R., Jan 11, 2004
  4. "Marc Libom" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > The cameras are not identical. Many minor and major improvements came into
    > the A1. The A1 is a real sequel of the succesfull 7 series. Some of the
    > differences you missed completely:
    >
    > - A1 provides shutter speeds of 1/16000s (7Hi only 1/4000s)
    > - A1 has more AWB presets
    > - A1 has the much more ergonomic design
    > - A1 has a grip sensor (for saving power and fast activation of pre
    > focussing)
    > - A1 has more easy to access switches for fast changing of the setting,
    > especially at the back
    > - A1 has the more flexible control wheel, with all creative and scene
    > programs on it for quick access
    > - A1 LCD is moveable from -20 to 90 degree - extremly useful!
    > - A1 has the better and more flexible AF, including 3D predictive AF
    > - ...

    Some ... would be
    - A1 has the better maximum aperture of 11 instead of only (8 or 9,5)
    - A1 provides up to 5 frames per second instead of 3 with the 7Hi
    - A1 has a 4 times higher video resolution
    - A1 has an AUTO ISO mode (100-200) which is missing at the 7Hi
    Thorsten Winter, Jan 11, 2004
  5. cymro

    JR Guest

    I have the A1, and from what I understand the CCD is different
    progressive vs. interlaced, the A/D converter is 14 bit, not 12, 11
    point Auto Focus vs. 3 point Auto Focus, the AF system can track moving
    objects, the 7 will not. Shutter speed is 30-1/16000 vs. 15-1/2000,
    more flexible metering, more white balance options, white balance fine
    tuning, the lens will go from f/2.8 - f/11 vs. f/8, there are more, but
    those are the basics....Oh and get the BP400 grip and you can use
    standard AA batteries as well as get a more comfortable grip for
    vertical shots as well as a second shutter release.

    JR
    JR, Jan 11, 2004
  6. cymro

    cymro Guest

    Thanks
    I should buy the A1 if I understand correctly...!!!
    cymro, Jan 11, 2004
  7. cymro

    HRosita Guest

    >cymro" wrote:

    > should buy the A1 if I understand correctly...!!!

    I have the D7Hi and will definitely upgrade to the A1 soon. Just the Antishake
    feature is worth the upgrade money, especially if you use the 200mm capability
    of the zoom.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Jan 11, 2004
  8. cymro

    browntimdc Guest

    "cymro" <> wrote in news:btrbhj$vid$1@news-
    reader3.wanadoo.fr:

    > Thanks
    > I should buy the A1 if I understand correctly...!!!

    No one has mentioned that the A1 has a standard PC flash sync connector.
    A big boon to me since I use a number of portable and studio strobe
    units.

    Tim

    --

    "The strongest human instinct is to impart information,
    and the second strongest is to resist it."

    Kenneth Graham
    browntimdc, Jan 11, 2004
  9. cymro

    Clyde Guest

    In article <Xns946DBC19E7D1Etbflash@199.45.49.11>,
    browntimdc <tbrown59@r*e*m*o*v*e*verizon.net> wrote:

    > "cymro" <> wrote in news:btrbhj$vid$1@news-
    > reader3.wanadoo.fr:
    >
    > > Thanks
    > > I should buy the A1 if I understand correctly...!!!
    > >

    > No one has mentioned that the A1 has a standard PC flash sync connector.
    > A big boon to me since I use a number of portable and studio strobe
    > units.
    >
    > Tim

    Well, so does the 7Hi.

    Clyde