    system for digital. Does anyone know if Minolta has plans to make a Digital
    SLR and when?

    Thanks

    Yung Mah, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Yung Mah

    Marli Guest

    The other night I was on the web, and went to the Minolta site to saw a big
    release statement for their DSLR.

    Then I woke up!!!!

    I think they may have left it a little to late. If they come out with one,
    they will have a lot of catching up to do.

    I know many Minolta owners have already gone to Canon and Nikon.

    Marli, Jul 15, 2003

  3. Yung Mah

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:56:19 +0800, "Marli" <> wrote:

    >The other night I was on the web, and went to the Minolta site to saw a big
    >release statement for their DSLR.
    >
    >Then I woke up!!!!
    >
    >I think they may have left it a little to late. If they come out with one,
    >they will have a lot of catching up to do.
    >
    >I know many Minolta owners have already gone to Canon and Nikon.

    And if Nikon doesn't change their act soon, many of
    their fans will be switching to Canon.

    I've given it some thought, myself.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Jul 15, 2003
  4. Yung Mah

    MarkH Guest

    Andrew McDonald <> wrote in news:1aSQa.101902$Io.8784090
    @newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net:

    > Rafe B. wrote:
    >> And if Nikon doesn't change their act soon, many of
    >> their fans will be switching to Canon.
    >>
    >> I've given it some thought, myself.

    > And just where exactly is Canon kicking Nikon's butt anyway? They both
    > have 6MP cameras in the $1500 range. Canon has the 1Ds but I doubt too
    > many folks in this newsgroup (or anywhere) are ditching their sub-$2000
    > D100 for the $8000 1Ds.

    I agree. Though I think that the 10D is a little better than the D100 and
    at a better price, there really isn’t enough difference for the average
    user to switch camps.

    I don’t think that anyone will choose between the D100 and the 1Ds, it
    would be the professionals who look at the D1x vs the 1Ds that consider
    changing from Nikon to Canon. The professional sports photographers have
    already abandoned the Nikon D1h for the much better Canon 1D (mostly
    anyway). In the Pro D-SLRs Canon is definitely kicking Nikons butt without
    a doubt.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, Jul 15, 2003
  5. MarkH wrote:
    > I agree. Though I think that the 10D is a little better than the D100 and
    > at a better price, there really isn’t enough difference for the average
    > user to switch camps.

    I feel a bit differently in that the D100 has faster startup and quicker
    card write times. But it's not enough to force the switch from one set
    of lenses to another set.

    > I don’t think that anyone will choose between the D100 and the 1Ds, it
    > would be the professionals who look at the D1x vs the 1Ds that consider
    > changing from Nikon to Canon. The professional sports photographers have
    > already abandoned the Nikon D1h for the much better Canon 1D (mostly
    > anyway). In the Pro D-SLRs Canon is definitely kicking Nikons butt without
    > a doubt.

    I guess that just depends on whether the 11MP 1Ds is worth $4000 more
    than the 5.7MP D1x (or is it 'h', I always mix them up).

    I ditched Minolta because they were not coming out with a DSLR camera.
    It meant selling thousands of dollars worth of accumulated lenses for
    less than I paid. But that was what I got for picking Minolta instead
    of Nikon 15 years ago.

    Andrew McDonald, Jul 15, 2003
  6. Yung Mah

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <%XSQa.2849$>,
    says...
    > I guess that just depends on whether the 11MP 1Ds is worth $4000 more
    > than the 5.7MP D1x (or is it 'h', I always mix them up).

    It's the X. X for Xtra resolution and H for high speed :)

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Jul 15, 2003
  7. Yung Mah

    Marli Guest

    I saw a test somewhere that showed the noise levels between the D100 and the
    10D. The Canon won hands down.

    I will be going Canon when I get a DSLR soon. Got a minolta now.

    Marli, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Yung Mah

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:20:30
    GMT, Rafe B. <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:09:33 GMT, Andrew McDonald <>
    >wrote:

    >>And just where exactly is Canon kicking Nikon's butt anyway? They both
    >>have 6MP cameras in the $1500 range. Canon has the 1Ds but I doubt too
    >>many folks in this newsgroup (or anywhere) are ditching their sub-$2000
    >>D100 for the $8000 1Ds.

    >I'm reading about lens-compatibility issues with the Nikon dSLRs,
    >which is a concern -- most of my Nikon lenses are non-AF.

    Canon already hosed it's old lens customers -- I've got a large bag full of
    excellent FD lenses that won't work on newer Canon bodies, film or digital.
    As a result, my loyalty to Canon is *very* low.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

    John Navas, Jul 15, 2003
  9. Yung Mah

    Wes J Guest

    So do you plan on using your Canon FD lenses on your Canon digital? Give me
    a break!

    "Rafe B." <> wrote

    Wes J, Jul 15, 2003
  10. Yung Mah

    Mark B. Guest

    "Marli" <> wrote in message
    > The other night I was on the web, and went to the Minolta site to saw a

    big
    > release statement for their DSLR.
    >
    > Then I woke up!!!!
    >
    > I think they may have left it a little to late. If they come out with one,
    > they will have a lot of catching up to do.
    >
    > I know many Minolta owners have already gone to Canon and Nikon.

    Which is a shame, really. More competition wouldn't hurt.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jul 16, 2003
  11. Yung Mah

    Rafe B. Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 19:09:38 GMT, "Wes J" <>
    wrote:

    >So do you plan on using your Canon FD lenses on your Canon digital? Give me
    >a break!
    >
    >"Rafe B." <> wrote
    >
    >> I'm reading about lens-compatibility issues with the Nikon dSLRs,
    >> which is a concern -- most of my Nikon lenses are non-AF.

    Not really. Sitting on the fence for now and still scanning film;
    when I shoot digital it's with my G2.

    It just seems that Nikon is being beaten in the dSLR game,
    at least for now. Maybe that will change, who knows?

    Rumors abound that Nikon will not try to match the EOS-1Ds
    any time soon, and that would be a shame. Seems the
    Nikon 14n is a distant second.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Jul 16, 2003
  12. Yung Mah

    Kenwood Guest

    The D100 is the current Nikon yes and it still holds its own against the D60
    and the 10D

    Both have thier pros and cons. In the end it is up to the photographer to
    know how to use
    his tools to their full capabilites. Ansel Adams would laugh at all of us
    saying this one is
    better than that one, etc etc. Enjoy what you have, respect what others have
    and go take some pictures!

    Kenwood, Jul 16, 2003
  13. Rafe B. <> wrote in

    > It just seems that Nikon is being beaten in the dSLR game,
    > at least for now. Maybe that will change, who knows?

    IMO, they're being beaten all over the digicam market. When I bought my
    950 and then 990, the Nikon was the clear choice. Then the me too 995 came
    out, and Nikon hasn't released an appealing (to me) camera since. Drove me
    right to a Sony 707, which I never thought I'd want but haven't regretted
    for a moment.

    Albert Nurick, Jul 16, 2003