    Who wouldn't?

    Thanks,
    Bill

    Bill, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Bill wrote:
    > How do you like your camera? How do you get the best picture quality?

    The picture quality on my A2 was worse than on the 5MP Nikon Coolpix 5700
    it might have replaced! They hadn't even fixed the faults from the A1. I
    sent the camera back and got a refund.

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Bill

    Morton Klotz Guest

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:29:41 -0000, "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:

    >Bill wrote:
    >> How do you like your camera? How do you get the best picture quality?

    >The picture quality on my A2 was worse than on the 5MP Nikon Coolpix 5700
    >it might have replaced! They hadn't even fixed the faults from the A1. I
    >sent the camera back and got a refund.
    >
    >David

    I suspect that there is a quality control problem. Some people,
    including me, get excellent results and others don't. If you buy one
    and it has problems try to exchange it for another.

    Morton Klotz, Nov 23, 2004
  4. Morton Klotz wrote:
    []
    >> The picture quality on my A2 was worse than on the 5MP Nikon Coolpix
    >> 5700 it might have replaced! They hadn't even fixed the faults from
    >> the A1. I sent the camera back and got a refund.
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > I suspect that there is a quality control problem. Some people,
    > including me, get excellent results and others don't. If you buy one
    > and it has problems try to exchange it for another.

    Unlikely - the image quality problems were reported on the A1 and were NOT
    fixed on the A2. Poor - can't they be bothered to update the firmware?
    Identical problems, reported by more than one user, concerned with the
    in-camera conversion to JPEG. OK if you use raw. These problems were
    also reported in the reviews of the camera, so I'm not just making it up.
    Subjectively, images of the same subject from the 5MP Panasonic FZ20 and
    the Nikon Coolpix 5700 were better.

    I did not like the tinny construction of the LCD viewfinder, the fact that
    the image stabilisation didn't work at low shutter speeds, and the highly
    misleading statements (which I would call lies) made about the viewfinder.
    It is NOT, as described on the box, 900,000 pixels. It is 300,000 pixels
    (VGA resolution).

    I'm glad you get excellent results, but Minolta have a huge credibility
    gap to rebuild with me. It seemed to be fundamental design problems
    rather than just bad quality control. It was a most disappointing camera.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Bill

    Magnus W Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote in

    > Unlikely - the image quality problems were reported on the A1 and were
    > NOT fixed on the A2. Poor - can't they be bothered to update the
    > firmware? Identical problems, reported by more than one user,
    > concerned with the in-camera conversion to JPEG.

    Just a note on this -- the JPEG writing algorithms might be hardwired in
    the processor, and thus can't be upgraded by firmware.

    Magnus W, Nov 24, 2004
  6. Magnus W wrote:
    > "David J Taylor" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Unlikely - the image quality problems were reported on the A1 and
    >> were NOT fixed on the A2. Poor - can't they be bothered to update
    >> the firmware? Identical problems, reported by more than one user,
    >> concerned with the in-camera conversion to JPEG.

    > Just a note on this -- the JPEG writing algorithms might be hardwired
    > in the processor, and thus can't be upgraded by firmware.

    Yes, that's possible. If not the whole algorithm, then perhaps some key
    arithmetic part.

    So avoid all Minolta cameras with that chip!

    David

    David J Taylor, Nov 25, 2004
  7. Bill

    conj Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > How do you like your camera? How do you get the best picture quality?
    >
    > I find FFP helps and software correction.
    >
    > I'm trying to decide if this camera is right for me. I love it's features!
    > Who wouldn't?

    I really enjoy mine. It's a pleasure to bring with you, change settings
    (especially recall you favorites from custom-programmed dial), zoom... I
    really like how it handles. I shoot in RAW and have done fabulous 13 x 19"
    prints from my last trip where I made about 2000 shots.
    Get a spare battery as I find that one is sometimes not enough for a full
    day out.
    I brought 2.5 GB worth of CF cards and downloaded them on my laptop when we
    got to our hotel room.

    Enjoy!

    Marc

    conj, Nov 25, 2004
  8. Bill

    Mishka Guest

    i find it wonderful. i bought a refurb for $599.
    my point of comparison is canon g2, which is being replaced now.
    i shoot raw mode only.
    a2 image quality is MUCH better. in fact, my g2 lens seem to resolve
    ~110lpmm, while a2 does 120..130 lpmm and the it is almost as sharp
    in corners as it is in center, through all zoom range.
    28-200mm zoom is very useful. and f2.8 + antishake is better than f2.0
    and none.
    the camera is much faster to work with.
    much more ergonomical.
    it does feel a bit flimsy. but i expect it to be replaced in another
    year and a half or so, so that should be OK. the software is junk (but
    so is canon)
    basically, it seems to be in a different class. i like it a lot.

    best,
    mishka

    Mishka, Nov 26, 2004