    Colin
    -----
    (Sorry - no direct email. Please reply via the newsgroup)
    Colin Malsingh, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Colin Malsingh

    JR Guest

    Ok....I was in the same boat and thought the Fuji was going to be it,
    until I asked at a numbre of pro camera stores...These are the same
    stores I have been using with my extensive Nikon 35mm collection for
    years so I trust them to be unbiased. They basically said the Fuji
    would be their last choice. So I thought, the Nikon...The 5700 right?
    Nope, they say the Minolta beats it for ease of use and capabilities.
    The Minolta has the better continuous shooting and AF capabilities for
    shooting. Plus the Minolta has the ability to sync with my studio
    strobe kit making it a better choice for me....The Sony looks great on
    paper, but we will have to see. Since I do alot of pro work, I wouldn't
    consider a Sony. They don't make a camera for the pro photographer,
    Minolta has been making cameras for years. For a consumer cam...SOny
    may be the best, but having a vertical grip, flexible power sources,
    flash sync with external strobes, sports capabilities, plus my fiance
    can put it on auto and take good pics...I have printed 8 1/2 x 11's with
    it, and I would say that is about the max....I can get great 13x19 with
    film and my minolta 5400 scanner, but so far, I start to seethe digital
    pixels at any size past 8 1/2 x 11...

    JR

    --
    www.jrhonephotography.com
    JR, Oct 19, 2003

  3. "Colin Malsingh" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone who's got experience of using these or knows their relative
    > strengths & weakness's give me an opinion?
    >
    > Up until now, I was heading towards the 5700 (although comments about
    > its low light focussing were worrying). However I saw the Minolta A1
    > on Friday and found that it's now cheaper than the 5700 - even with
    > Nikon's Cashback special offer.

    I can only comment on the 5700. I had mine just two months when the flash
    went out. Others have mentioned problems with the built in flash. My
    camera is in the NIkon shop as we speak. Already wish I had bought the
    D100.

    Larry

    --
    Lawrence L'Hote
    Columbia, MO
    Lawrence L'Hote, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Colin Malsingh

    Dr. Gizmo Guest

    Larry,

    I bought the D100 and am well pleased with it. I had a collection of Nikon
    lenses already but picked up an 18-35 zoom and a new 80DX flash to go with
    it.

    Anyway, I am thinking of getting a shirt-pocket digital and was leaning
    towards the 5400 or maybe the 5700. The 5700 seems to have more problems
    than the 5400. I want to stay with Nikon because I already have a flash
    and don't want to buy another.

    Dr. Gizmo

    This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador

    Dr. Gizmo, Oct 20, 2003
  5. Colin Malsingh

    Don Guest

    Larry

    I had the 5700 with all the accessories (particularly the lens multiplier)
    and loved it. I also bought a 10D and sold the 5700 to a friend (who also
    loves it). I often wish that I had kept both as if you wish to have a small
    lightweight P&S the 5700 puts out shots on a par with the 10D (IMHO). I
    note that in Oz the price of the new eos 300d is now similar to the 5700.
    It may be worth looking at. I have only one concern with my 10D and that's
    it size.

    regards

    Don from Down Under
    "Dr. Gizmo" <> wrote in message
    > Larry,
    >
    > I bought the D100 and am well pleased with it. I had a collection of

    Nikon
    > lenses already but picked up an 18-35 zoom and a new 80DX flash to go with
    > it.
    >
    > Anyway, I am thinking of getting a shirt-pocket digital and was leaning
    > towards the 5400 or maybe the 5700. The 5700 seems to have more

    problems
    > than the 5400. I want to stay with Nikon because I already have a flash
    > and don't want to buy another.
    >
    > Dr. Gizmo

    > This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador
    > from MailFrontier, Inc. http://info.mailfrontier.com
    >
    > "Lawrence L'Hote" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Colin Malsingh" <> wrote in

    message

    Don, Oct 20, 2003
  6. Colin Malsingh

    FOR7b Guest

    >Plus the Minolta has the ability to sync with my studio
    >strobe kit making it a better choice for me....
    >The Sony looks great on
    >paper, but we will have to see. Since I do alot of pro work, I wouldn't
    >consider a Sony.

    You'll "see" but yet you "wouldn't consider a Sony?" Hmm.

    FOR7b, Oct 20, 2003
  7. Colin Malsingh

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:36:51 +0100, Colin Malsingh
    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone who's got experience of using these or knows their relative
    >strengths & weakness's give me an opinion?

    I cant advise on the strengths & weaknesses. However, an idea may be
    worth taking up:

    I took a 125Mb Compact Flash card down to my local camera emporium.
    Put it into a Nikon 5700 and did a few test shots. (The shop knows me
    and permitted me to take it out for a short while!)

    This gave me the capability to take home the results and evaluate with
    my own software in my own time etc....

    I bought the 5700 - Love it. magic....
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Oct 21, 2003
  8. I have been toying with the purchase of a Nikon 5700 and thought that
    i'd wait until after Christams. I have just sold my old, but faithful
    F70 for £200 privately. (Jessops only offered me £70 for my mint, no
    scratches, perfectly working F70 body.)

    When i saw the £100 cashback offer, (5700 will now cost me £538 if i
    order before end of 2003) i thought, either Nikon are trying to shift
    these 5700's before 2004 and have another model or upgrade due or are
    feeling the presure from other makers with better camera's. Which is
    it?

    I would mainly use the camera during the day and most of my pictures
    would be still, portrait, landscapes, etc... very few would be of
    active/moving objects, sports men/women, cars, etc.
    Ajmer Singh Phull, Oct 31, 2003
  9. Colin Malsingh

    Bob Niland Guest

    The Sony DSC-F828 does not exist [yet].
    Whether or not it will live up to its
    promises remains to be seen.

    Future cameras are, of course, always "better"
    than ones can you buy off the shelf today :)

    Any reason why the Canon EOS-300D isn't
    on the list?

    I'm [also] waiting, but until dpreview has a
    "final" review of the F828, before deciding.

    --
    Regards, PO Box 248
    Bob Niland Enterprise

    Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
    personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
    employer, client or Internet Service Provider.
    Bob Niland, Oct 31, 2003
  10. Colin Malsingh

    Bandicoot Guest

    Colin Malsingh <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Can anyone who's got experience of using these or knows their relative
    > strengths & weakness's give me an opinion?

    > I realise that the Sony is not yet out, so it's a bit of a guess.

    You would trust someone else's guess over your own? You stupid
    asshole. Go screw yourself with a 5700.
    Bandicoot, Nov 1, 2003
  11. Colin Malsingh

    RH Guest

    And your way of expressing yourself is going to instill confidence in any of
    your postings?
    RH, Nov 1, 2003
  12. Colin Malsingh

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    RH wrote:

    > And your way of expressing yourself is going to instill confidence in
    > any of your postings?

    Plonk him, he's just a stupid little racist, unworthy of your trouble.
    Paolo Pizzi, Nov 1, 2003