    Does anyone know the smallest subject size that will fill the frame on
    the Minolta A1 when shooting at its Tele Macro setting?
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Dec 9, 2003

  2. Robert E. Williams

    CR Optiker Guest

    On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 11:27:05 -0800, Robert E. Williams wrote:

    > I just noticed that the Minolta A1 in Macro mode focuses to 5.1 inches
    > at its tele setting (FL.=200 mm).
    > Seems like that would give a really good magnification without the
    > typical distortion one gets with cameras that macro focus down to 1" at
    > their wide angle settings. Also gives a more comfortable working
    > distance and is not as prone to block the light on the subject as when
    > working at 1".
    > Does anyone know the smallest subject size that will fill the frame on
    > the Minolta A1 when shooting at its Tele Macro setting?
    > Bob Williams

    1.96 x 1.47 inches (50 x 37 millimeters)

    From Imaging-Resources review site at...

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A1/A1PICS.HTM

    Go a little below half-way down the page and click on the marco shot to get
    a larger pic.
    ==============pasted from above URL================
    Macro Shot
    Standard Macro Shot
    Macro with Flash

    Very tiny macro area with great detail.

    The A1 performed well in the macro category, capturing a tiny minimum area
    of only 1.96 x 1.47 inches (50 x 37 millimeters). Resolution is very high,
    with strong detail in the dollar bill. The coins and brooch are soft due to
    the very short shooting distance, an optical fact of life at such short
    shooting distances, and not the fault of the camera. There's some softness
    in the corners of this shot, mainly in the top left corner of the frame,
    but not bad when compared to the results produced by most cameras I test.
    (The soft coins and brooch make it difficult to determine corner softness
    in the remaining corners.) The A1's flash does a very good job throttling
    down for the macro area, and exposes the shot evenly (although exposure is
    just slightly bright). An excellent performance overall, particularly with
    the flash.
    Optiker

    CR Optiker, Dec 9, 2003