Minolta A1 -Can AE focus be independent from the AF with multi-segment metering

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul van Andel, Jan 22, 2004.

  1. Ha All,

    Here's the deal:
    I discovered that when I press the shutter part way down, the focus locks,
    but (to my surprise) it locks the exposure also.

    from the manual:
    <cut>-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------
    When AE lock is off, the exposure continues to change with
    the lighting conditions when the shutter-release button is pressed
    partway down. This has no affect on the operation of the AEL button
    (p. 50). When using single-shot AF with multi-segment metering,
    AE lock is always active regardless of the menu setting.
    <end
    cut>------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------

    This looks strange to me since the A1 has a separate button to lock the
    exposure, the single-shot AF with multi-segment metering is the most common
    setting an the A1.

    So when I have an low contrast object, to focus I can point on a other
    object approximately on the same distance and return to the original object,
    but since the A1 locks exposure as well, the picture can be under or over
    exposured.

    I know that when I switch to center weighted exposure, it works like I
    expect, but this seems a step down from multi segment metering.
    Also I can use the FLEX focus and use the arrow keys to place the focus
    point on any high contrast object, but much slower than just point at
    another object the receive focus.

    Is there a way to unlock the AE from the AF, or does anyone know the reason
    for this behavior?

    TIA
    Paul

    Paul van Andel, Jan 22, 2004

  2. Paul van Andel

    Dave Oddie Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:54:53 +0100, "Paul van Andel" <>
    wrote:

    >So when I have an low contrast object, to focus I can point on a other
    >object approximately on the same distance and return to the original object,
    >but since the A1 locks exposure as well, the picture can be under or over
    >exposured.
    >
    >I know that when I switch to center weighted exposure, it works like I
    >expect, but this seems a step down from multi segment metering.
    >Also I can use the FLEX focus and use the arrow keys to place the focus
    >point on any high contrast object, but much slower than just point at
    >another object the receive focus.
    >
    >Is there a way to unlock the AE from the AF, or does anyone know the reason
    >for this behavior?

    I don't know but a bit of lateral thinking is required here ;-)

    Why don't you use the AE lock on your low contrast subject by pressing the AE
    lock button on the back on the back of the camera BEFORE moving the camera
    off-subject to re-focus?

    Hopefully the locked in exposure won't change when you do the half press to get
    focus lock.

    Don't know if it works like that but it seems logical to me that it should.

    Dave

    Dave Oddie, Jan 23, 2004

  3. > Why don't you use the AE lock on your low contrast subject by pressing the
    AE
    > lock button on the back on the back of the camera BEFORE moving the camera
    > off-subject to re-focus?
    >
    > Hopefully the locked in exposure won't change when you do the half press

    to get
    > focus lock.
    >
    > Don't know if it works like that but it seems logical to me that it

    should.

    I thought of that already, and yes it does works that way, good thinking.
    But still its a roundabout way to perform a simple task, if I can find a
    focus object within the viewer, moving the focus cursor is faster and
    easier, in other cases I'll use the focus lock.

    Thanks
    Paul

    Paul van Andel, Jan 23, 2004