Minolta 7i; HATED; Use for InfraRed?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chipster, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. chipster

    chipster Guest

    I retired as a newspaper guy (started as a photog; started writing;
    retired as editor) almost six years back. Photography always had been
    my #1 hobby with infrared as my favorite format.
    I own an absolute truckload of film cameras of various size formats.
    After I got out of the business I set out to gain experience in digital
    photography and went to my lifelong favorite camera store here in
    central florida. I let the owner - whose advice I'd taken for years and
    years - sell me a shiny new Minolta 7i as his favorite choice for
    digital infrared use. He sold me an adaptor ring & IR filter and off I
    went, some $1200 lighter.
    Well ... The digital images I got were disappointing to say the least,
    as probably everybody here knows.
    I went back to the camera store and was sold another filter and told to
    try this, try that ...
    I wound up on the fone with a Minolta rep who assured me the 7i would
    take wonderful IR fotos but that he couldn't offer any assistance with
    my dilemma because I wasn't using Minolta filters and adapter ring. I
    asked him how to get Minolta's filter and ring and he told me that the
    company doesn't make IR filters ...
    But that the camera is absolutely capable of making IR fotos if I do
    switch from my "other brand" filters to the Minolta filters, but that,
    of course, Minolta doesn't make such ...
    I wrote letters to the company, of course, but I still have my piece of
    crap Minolta 7i.
    This is my first attempt at finding "usergroup" help as I'm a shiny new
    usergroup user. Old guy, a little slow (should be obvious by now)
    Anyway - I wonder if by now anyone has managed to create IR with the
    Minolta 7i.

    In another issue with the same camera - Mine's been back to the factory
    for repair three times. Here's the problem: When the camera is on, the
    settings can't be changed. Hitting the "menu" button causes the menu to
    begin scrolling. And scrolling and scrolling and scrolling. It can't be
    stopped. Sometimes it'll do this forever, sometimes it'll stop and I
    can change settings (all settings scroll - image size, everything).
    It's been working correctly for a few days now for the first time since
    I bought it. Minolta has replaced the "menu" switch and the main switch
    on top but it still does the same thing most of the time.
    Anybody else have any trouble with this thing?
    I've never HATED a camera or a company before, but I'll never have
    another Minolta product if I live forever.

    thanx for reading this too-long post

    chip in central florida

    chipster, Oct 2, 2005

  2. chipster

    AnthonyL Guest

    On 2 Oct 2005 02:57:40 -0700, "chipster" <> wrote:

    > I let the owner - whose advice I'd taken for years and
    >years - sell me a shiny new Minolta 7i as his favorite choice for
    >digital infrared use. He sold me an adaptor ring & IR filter and off I
    >went, some $1200 lighter.

    When was this? The 7i isn't a current model.

    >Well ... The digital images I got were disappointing to say the least,
    >as probably everybody here knows.

    No. I've got the earlier Dimage 5 and the images are quite good (not
    tried IR).

    >I went back to the camera store and was sold another filter and told to
    >try this, try that ...
    >I wound up on the fone with a Minolta rep who assured me the 7i would
    >take wonderful IR fotos but that he couldn't offer any assistance with
    >my dilemma because I wasn't using Minolta filters and adapter ring. I
    >asked him how to get Minolta's filter and ring and he told me that the
    >company doesn't make IR filters ...
    >But that the camera is absolutely capable of making IR fotos if I do
    >switch from my "other brand" filters to the Minolta filters, but that,
    >of course, Minolta doesn't make such ...
    >I wrote letters to the company, of course, but I still have my piece of
    >crap Minolta 7i.
    >This is my first attempt at finding "usergroup" help as I'm a shiny new
    >usergroup user. Old guy, a little slow (should be obvious by now)
    >Anyway - I wonder if by now anyone has managed to create IR with the
    >Minolta 7i.

    Have a look and probably ask the question in www.dpreview.com where
    they have Minolta groups

    One of their postings on
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=infra&forum=1024&page=2

    points to

    http://www.infrareddream.com/irinfo.html

    >In another issue with the same camera - Mine's been back to the factory
    >for repair three times.

    Yes, I've had faults with my last film Minolta and then two faults
    with the Dimage 5. Firstly the internal flash packed in. Cost of
    repair = cost of external flash which I prefer to use anyway. Then
    the LCD display packed up - not too much of an issue because I prefer
    to use the viewfinder but worrying nonetheless. So I like the
    features but not happy with the build quality and not convinced that
    the join up with Konica is going to improve things.

    --
    AnthonyL

    AnthonyL, Oct 2, 2005

  3. chipster

    John Bean Guest

    <> wrote:

    >After I got out of the business I set out to gain experience in digital
    >photography and went to my lifelong favorite camera store here in
    >central florida. I let the owner - whose advice I'd taken for years and
    >years - sell me a shiny new Minolta 7i as his favorite choice for
    >digital infrared use. He sold me an adaptor ring & IR filter and off I
    >went, some $1200 lighter.

    Wierd, if this purchase was recent. The 7i hasn't been made
    for some years, and it never was a good IR camera. The
    Minolta 7 *was* good for IR, but that's even older. And as
    for the price... well let's just say it seems a bit erm...
    high. Ask for your money back. You were given wrong advice
    and overcharged too.

    If it wasn't bought recently but instead you bought it years
    ago when it *was* a new (and expensive) camera then it's a
    bit late in the day to be moaning about it. Buy a new, more
    appropriate camera to suit your needs.

    --
    Regards

    John Bean

    John Bean, Oct 2, 2005
  4. chipster

    chipster Guest

    Thanx for the responses, guys and gals -
    John's absolutely right - It's way too late to be moaning about it. I
    didn't mean to sound as if I'm actually moaning. I simply hate the
    camera and my Minolta experience and this is the first time I've had
    the opportunity to say anything about it to anyone other than the
    ludicrous stiffs at Minolta or the former friend who sold it to me.
    I bought it about six years ago and (was told) it was a brand-new
    camera at the time.
    My writing here finally gave me the opportunity to a) bitch publicly;
    b) ask whether anyone else had a similar experience with this model and
    c) ask if anyone has had experience/success shooting infrared with this
    model.
    I know for sure that it's practically an antique now ... But it's the
    only digital I've got and I sure can't afford another anytime soon.
    Thanx a heap for the responses and, especially, the links to where I
    might learn some infrared stuff.
    I've read the ECHENG.COM pages about the Nikon and, if I were to find a
    good used one, I might buy it and try that mod. As it is, I'll stick
    with my Canon 35s for infrared til I don't have to any more.
    Thanx for writing

    chip

    chipster, Oct 2, 2005
  5. AnthonyL wrote:

    >>But that the camera is absolutely capable of making IR fotos if I do
    >>switch from my "other brand" filters to the Minolta filters, but that,
    >>of course, Minolta doesn't make such ...

    > Have a look and probably ask the question in www.dpreview.com where
    > they have Minolta groups
    >
    > One of their postings on
    > http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/search.asp?query=infra&forum=1024&page=2
    >
    > points to
    >
    > http://www.infrareddream.com/irinfo.html

    .... that says 'Here are some supporded cameras that I know
    to work well: Minolta Dimage 7 (not 7i or 7hi)'

    > Yes, I've had faults with my last film Minolta and then two faults
    > with the Dimage 5.

    My current Dimage 7Hi has its sometimes annoying issues (such as not
    be able to use the internal memory buffer when shooting raw with
    half-full battery, which unfortunately comes after a few shots),
    but it did not fail yet.

    I am slowly thinking of replacing it with a DSLR, but for its
    time it was a good camera.

    --
    Stano

    Stanislav Meduna, Oct 2, 2005
  6. I too own a Minolta D7i. I also tried infrared photography, only to find
    out--too late--that there is supposedly a filter of some type in front of
    the CCD that screws up tryin to take infrared photographs. Apparently, that
    filter is not in the D7. That was the one very disappointing thing about the
    camera. However, I have had good luck with it ever since for all other
    photography and still use it quite a bit.

    Gordo

    GORDON F YOUNG JR, Oct 2, 2005
  7. Re: <snip> ... and off the OP's topic ...

    > My current Dimage 7Hi has its sometimes annoying issues (such as not
    > be able to use the internal memory buffer when shooting raw with
    > half-full battery, which unfortunately comes after a few shots),
    > but it did not fail yet.

    On the NiMH 1800 mAh batteries supplied with the camera, one was lucky to
    get many shots at all. I replaced them with 2000 mAh batts, and was much
    more satisfied. Even more recently, I've used 2300 mAh batts ... and now the
    camera runs for days. Hence, I suggest discarding your batteries and buying
    some hi-spec ones, which you will find much cheaper than when the camera was
    new. I bet that hi spec batteries will cure this problem.

    Minolta's stuff seems technically advanced, but the build quality &
    reliability is suspect. The high ISO sensitivities are bogus. At least the
    7Hi is the right colour for a camera!

    Edward N Bromhead, Oct 2, 2005
  8. chipster

    Nostrobino Guest

    "chipster" <> wrote in message
    >I retired as a newspaper guy (started as a photog; started writing;
    > retired as editor) almost six years back. Photography always had been
    > my #1 hobby with infrared as my favorite format.
    > I own an absolute truckload of film cameras of various size formats.
    > After I got out of the business I set out to gain experience in digital
    > photography and went to my lifelong favorite camera store here in
    > central florida. I let the owner - whose advice I'd taken for years and
    > years - sell me a shiny new Minolta 7i as his favorite choice for
    > digital infrared use. He sold me an adaptor ring & IR filter and off I
    > went, some $1200 lighter.
    > Well ... The digital images I got were disappointing to say the least,
    > as probably everybody here knows.
    > I went back to the camera store and was sold another filter and told to
    > try this, try that ...
    > I wound up on the fone with a Minolta rep who assured me the 7i would
    > take wonderful IR fotos but that he couldn't offer any assistance with
    > my dilemma because I wasn't using Minolta filters and adapter ring. I
    > asked him how to get Minolta's filter and ring and he told me that the
    > company doesn't make IR filters ...

    I'm not aware that they ever did. I've owned Minoltas for 25+ years and
    don't recall ever having seen Minolta-brand IR filters mentioned. That's a
    pretty limited niche of photography, after all.

    > But that the camera is absolutely capable of making IR fotos if I do
    > switch from my "other brand" filters to the Minolta filters, but that,
    > of course, Minolta doesn't make such ...

    It sounds like you got a real dummy on the phone. I understand that many
    digital cameras have an internal filter over the CCD that makes IR
    photography difficult or impossible, while many others have no problem with
    it. In any case I suppose it would have to be an external IR filter designed
    to accommodate the particular requirements of that model's filtered CCD, and
    it seems highly unlikely that any *older* Minolta filter (i.e., pre-digital)
    would be likely to work just because it was made by Minolta.

    > I wrote letters to the company, of course, but I still have my piece of
    > crap Minolta 7i.

    Well, the 7i is certainly not a "piece of crap," though it may be totally
    unsuitable for what you're trying to do with it.

    > This is my first attempt at finding "usergroup" help as I'm a shiny new
    > usergroup user. Old guy, a little slow (should be obvious by now)
    > Anyway - I wonder if by now anyone has managed to create IR with the
    > Minolta 7i.
    >
    > In another issue with the same camera - Mine's been back to the factory
    > for repair three times. Here's the problem: When the camera is on, the
    > settings can't be changed. Hitting the "menu" button causes the menu to
    > begin scrolling. And scrolling and scrolling and scrolling. It can't be
    > stopped. Sometimes it'll do this forever, sometimes it'll stop and I
    > can change settings (all settings scroll - image size, everything).
    > It's been working correctly for a few days now for the first time since
    > I bought it. Minolta has replaced the "menu" switch and the main switch
    > on top but it still does the same thing most of the time.
    > Anybody else have any trouble with this thing?
    > I've never HATED a camera or a company before, but I'll never have
    > another Minolta product if I live forever.

    I have the Minolta 7i and 7Hi, in addition to six other Minolta digitals,
    and have never had any sort of malfunction with any of those. But I did buy
    one of the early Z1s that stopped working (the viewfinder mirror jammed
    halfway) within an hour of my taking it out of the box. That one I promptly
    returned. I think all this proves is that you can get a lemon in any brand.
    My experience with Minoltas, both digitals and 35s over the years, has been
    that they generally deliver an excellent and trouble-free product.

    They should have been able to fix your 7i when you returned it for repair.
    But I have seen so many horror stories about poor repair service in
    practically *all* brands that your experience is not surprising,
    unfortunately. It is true, of course, that it's mostly the bad service
    experiences that users mention in newsgroups, seldom the good experiences.

    N.

    Nostrobino, Oct 2, 2005
  9. chipster

    Mardon Guest

    "chipster" <> wrote
    > my #1 hobby with infrared as my favorite format.

    If you really 'hate' your Minolta D7i as much as you say you do, perhaps
    you're willing to risk destroying it by taking it apart and removing the IR
    cut off filter. If you do this successfully, it will take infrared photos
    just fine. This website gives instructions, including pictures, that show
    how to remove the 'hot mirror' and convert a D7i to an infrared camera. Go
    to this URL:
    http://www.jr-worldwi.de/photo/index.html?mod_dimage_dis.htm

    Or if that URL doesn't work for you, go to this one:
    http://tinyurl.com/dvd9c

    Mardon, Oct 2, 2005