Minolta 7Hi vs Canon EOS-10D

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mike, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I'm looking at moving up to a bit better digital camera. I've currently
    got an Olympus C-3020, which I really like.

    I've also got a Canon EOS Rebel film camera and one lens (28-85 zoom).

    I'm looking at either a Minolta 7hi or a Canon Eos10D.

    I know with the Canon, my expandability is better due to the fact that I
    can get new/better lenses for it.

    I mostly take shots of my kids, some portraits. May do some weddings
    down the road.

    Anyone gone through this selection process? Which did you chose?

    I'm not looking to start a flame war. I'm looking for honest opinions.

    The things I don't like about my Olympus:

    o Smartmedia only
    o Only 3.2 megapixels, so 11x14 prints aren't the greatest.

    Thanks in advance.

    Mike Strock
    mstrock AT oz DOT net

    Mike, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Mike

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:41:43 -0700,
    Mike <> wrote:

    >I'm looking at moving up to a bit better digital camera. I've currently
    >got an Olympus C-3020, which I really like.

    >The things I don't like about my Olympus:
    >
    >o Smartmedia only
    >o Only 3.2 megapixels, so 11x14 prints aren't the greatest.

    FYI, the glass (lens) is at least as important as the number of pixels. Very
    good 11x14 prints can be made from 3.2 mp given a first rate lens, accurate
    focusing, and a steady hand. Keep that in mind when looking for a new camera.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

    John Navas, Jul 10, 2003

  3. You're better off not buying anything with the Minolta name on it.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Mike

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    If a small camera is not essential, get the Canon 10D. your 28-85 lens will be
    effectively 45 - 136 because of the 1.6 multipication factor and you will be
    getting a much better camera, faster focus, etc.

    I do have a D7Hi and am happy with it but the 10D is a class above.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Jul 10, 2003
  5. "Todd Walker" <> wrote:

    > If you want to do weddings, the 10D is the obvious choice. Weddings
    > require that your camera be capable of high quality available light
    > pictures. The 10D with a large aperture lens (f/1.8 let's say) and high
    > ISO setting (800 or 1600) will do great in this situation.
    > The 7Hi has a
    > max aperture of 2.8 and max ISO of 800, at which the noise is
    > unbearable. In fact, it's unbearable at 400 as well...

    You are seriously understating the D7Hi's problems.

    The D7hi noise at ISO 100 (2.5) is higher than the 10D noise at ISO 800
    (2.0). (Most consumer digital cameras manage to keep noise under 2.0 on the
    dpreview scale at ISO 50 or 100, so the 10D only trounces them at ISO 400.)

    See the graph after the patches or compare the patches side by side (where
    you can see that the ISO 800 noise in the 10D is clearly lower than the ISO
    100 noise in the D7hi.)

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimage7hi/page13.asp
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/page18.asp

    The Canon 50/1.4 isn't all that expensive (US$300 or so), and is a very
    useful 80mm equivalent focal length. At ISO 800, that's better image quality
    than the D7Hi at 5 stops faster.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan

    David J. Littleboy, Jul 11, 2003
  6. In article <>, Mike <>
    wrote:

    > I'm looking at moving up to a bit better digital camera. I've currently
    > got an Olympus C-3020, which I really like.
    >
    > I've also got a Canon EOS Rebel film camera and one lens (28-85 zoom).
    >
    > I'm looking at either a Minolta 7hi or a Canon Eos10D.
    >
    > I know with the Canon, my expandability is better due to the fact that I
    > can get new/better lenses for it.
    >
    > I mostly take shots of my kids, some portraits. May do some weddings
    > down the road.
    >
    > Anyone gone through this selection process? Which did you chose?
    >
    > I'm not looking to start a flame war. I'm looking for honest opinions.
    >
    > The things I don't like about my Olympus:
    >
    > o Smartmedia only
    > o Only 3.2 megapixels, so 11x14 prints aren't the greatest.
    >

    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Mike Strock
    > mstrock AT oz DOT net

    I just sold all my Canon film equipment to buy a Minolta 7Hi. I
    considered a lot of things before doing this....

    The 10D doesn't fit my wide angle needs. I was shooting with Canon's
    20mm lens on my EOS 3, but that is only 32mm on the 10D. The 28mm on the
    7Hi is just good enough for my pano work.

    I really don't need more than 28-200mm for my work. I shoot pretty much
    what you do, plus the pano work. So, I don't really need all the
    possible lens that Canon makes. I used my Canon 35mm f/2.0, 100mm f/2.0,
    and 200mm f/2.8 L a fair bit, but never really needed more. I also don't
    like the dust that gets on the CMOS/CCD when you change lens.

    I'm not too hot on 'existing light' photography any more. Good images
    need light. I believe that they usually need other lights to be the
    best. So, the f/2.8-3.5 isn't really a problem for the Minolta.
    Particularly since the DOF is so much greater on this small digital
    camera. The PC/studio port on the 7Hi is very important for that good
    light.

    I like the fast electronic speed of the 7Hi, the manual zoom, the fully
    manual functions, AA batteries, the handling, the quality of the images,
    the customization. It really does take top quality images - if I do my
    part.

    Also, I couldn't afford a 10D until I sold all my Canon equipment. <
    sigh> I really wanted a 1Ds, but that isn't even in the sights.

    I am very happy with the 7Hi and would recommend it to anyone.

    Clyde

    Clyde Davidson, Jul 11, 2003
  7. Mike

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>, lugh-
    says...
    > I see absolutely no noise at 100 on my 7Hi. I suppose you might be able
    > to find tests that would find some, but if I can't see it, it isn't an
    > issue.
    >
    > Clyde

    Then you don't know what noise looks like. Here you go:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/minoltadimage7hi/page13.asp

    Compare that to the ISO 100 crop from the 10D:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos10d/page18.asp

    It's no contest. While you are at it, notice that the 10D's noise level
    doesn't even approach that of the 7Hi's ISO 100 noise level until above
    ISO 800.

    From the review:

    "To be frank I'm disappointed that Minolta haven't done anything to
    reduce ISO 100 noise, it's quite visible in the majority of shots,
    especially those with large areas of sky."

    It is very obvious in this pic from Steve Sanders' (www.steves-
    digicams.com) review. Look at the blue areas of the sky and in the
    shadows:

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/dimage_
    7hi/samples/Pict0028.jpe

    Please understand, I am not knocking the 7Hi. It is a great camera that
    takes great pictures and if you are happy with it, that's all that
    matters. But to say that your pictures have no noise is misleading. My
    E20 at ISO 80 has more noise than many other "prosumer" (I hate that
    word) digitals but it doesn't bother me either. If I need to remove it,
    Neat Image to the rescue.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Jul 11, 2003
  8. Mike

    Sloopy Guest

    In article <>,
    Todd Walker <> wrote:

    > In article <>, lugh-
    > says...
    > > I see absolutely no noise at 100 on my 7Hi. I suppose you might be able
    > > to find tests that would find some, but if I can't see it, it isn't an
    > > issue.
    > >
    > > Clyde
    > >

    > Then you don't know what noise looks like.

    I was thinking exactly the same thing.

    I have a 7i, and there is no doubt that noise is its one serious
    weakness.

    -Sloopy

    Sloopy, Jul 11, 2003
  9. Mike

    John O. Guest

    Bet you'd have a lot more fun with the Canon.

    --
    John O.
    There is no slack in light attack.

    John O., Jul 11, 2003
  10. > I have a Minolta light meter and a Minolta slide scanner. I'm rather
    > fond of them both.

    Don't know about that but their cameras have always sucked.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 11, 2003
  11. Mike

    Aaron Bredon Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:27:38 -0700, Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    >> I have a Minolta light meter and a Minolta slide scanner. I'm rather
    >> fond of them both.

    > Don't know about that but their cameras have always sucked.

    You mean the Leica CL (made by Minolta for Leica, probably the
    best-selling Leica rangefinder ever) sucked?

    All you indicate by blind statements is your ignorance.

    Aaron Bredon, Jul 11, 2003
  12. > You mean the Leica CL (made by Minolta for Leica, probably the
    > best-selling Leica rangefinder ever) sucked?
    >
    > All you indicate by blind statements is your ignorance.

    OK, if you're going to twist things...all cameras stamped with the name
    Minolta on them have sucked.

    Randall Ainsworth, Jul 11, 2003
  13. Mike

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Clyde Davidson <> wrote:

    >I used my Canon 35mm f/2.0, 100mm f/2.0,
    >and 200mm f/2.8 L a fair bit, but never really needed more. I also don't
    >like the dust that gets on the CMOS/CCD when you change lens.

    I've taken over 3,000 photos with my 10D, and I have 4 lenses, extension
    tubes, a 2x telextender, and change them like a mad-man, indoors and
    out, and have yet to get dust on the sensor. I've only had dust on the
    lenses themselves.

    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

    , Jul 11, 2003
  14. Mike

    John Navas Guest

    In <110720031327387845%> on Fri, 11 Jul 2003 13:27:38
    -0700, Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:

    >> I have a Minolta light meter and a Minolta slide scanner. I'm rather
    >> fond of them both.

    >Don't know about that but their cameras have always sucked.

    In my experience, Minolta cameras are pretty good. Reviews agree; e.g.,

    The Minolta DiMAGE 7i is a very capable camera and captures some of
    the sharpest and most resolute images we've seen from a
    non-professional digicam. ... If you want a high resolution digicam
    with all the features you'll ever need, a big zoom and excellent
    image quality, the DiMAGE 7i should be at the top of your "A" list.

    dpreview.com on DiMAGE 7i: Highly Recommended

    imaging-resource.com on DiMAGE 7i: Highly recommended!

    John Navas, Jul 11, 2003
  15. Mike

    Mark B. Guest

    "Randall Ainsworth" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a Minolta light meter and a Minolta slide scanner. I'm rather
    > > fond of them both.

    > Don't know about that but their cameras have always sucked.

    Of course, anything that Randall doesn't use himself sucks so take
    statements from him like "_______ sucks" with a grain of salt.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jul 11, 2003
  16. Mike

    John O. Guest

    In article <110720031413323652%>,
    says...
    > > You mean the Leica CL (made by Minolta for Leica, probably the
    > > best-selling Leica rangefinder ever) sucked?
    > >
    > > All you indicate by blind statements is your ignorance.

    > OK, if you're going to twist things...all cameras stamped with the name
    > Minolta on them have sucked.

    Why is it that everywhere I go, you are there being a big jerk?
    Oh. And the XD11 is a classic.

    John O., Jul 12, 2003
  17. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > In message <>,
    > Clyde Davidson <> wrote:
    >
    > >I used my Canon 35mm f/2.0, 100mm f/2.0,
    > >and 200mm f/2.8 L a fair bit, but never really needed more. I also don't
    > >like the dust that gets on the CMOS/CCD when you change lens.

    > I've taken over 3,000 photos with my 10D, and I have 4 lenses, extension
    > tubes, a 2x telextender, and change them like a mad-man, indoors and
    > out, and have yet to get dust on the sensor. I've only had dust on the
    > lenses themselves.

    I stand corrected. I guess I've read too many reviews where that's a
    problem.

    Clyde

    Clyde Davidson, Jul 13, 2003
  18. Mike

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Clyde Davidson <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >wrote:
    >
    >> In message <>,
    >> Clyde Davidson <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >I used my Canon 35mm f/2.0, 100mm f/2.0,
    >> >and 200mm f/2.8 L a fair bit, but never really needed more. I also don't
    >> >like the dust that gets on the CMOS/CCD when you change lens.

    >> I've taken over 3,000 photos with my 10D, and I have 4 lenses, extension
    >> tubes, a 2x telextender, and change them like a mad-man, indoors and
    >> out, and have yet to get dust on the sensor. I've only had dust on the
    >> lenses themselves.

    >I stand corrected. I guess I've read too many reviews where that's a
    >problem.

    Funny, right after I typed that, I discovered a couple dark disks on all
    my images from the last day or so. Whatever it was, it blew right out
    with a blower bulb, and I'm now back to a clean sensor.
    --

    John P Sheehy <>

    , Jul 14, 2003