    of buying both a digital camera and camcorder?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    bostonroy, Nov 15, 2011

  2. bostonroy <> writes:

    > Our student club would like to loan a camcorder and camera to
    > volunteer student journalists.
    > I'd like to get an idea of the cheapest equipment (available on the
    > market): that would allow students to snap quality digital photos, and
    > record HD footage.
    >
    > Would any other equipment be needed; such as lighting equipment?
    > Is there a single affordable high quality device on the market instead
    > of buying both a digital camera and camcorder?

    Nearly any modern digital camera also records video. Look at the
    Panasonic super-zoom cameras, the smaller ones. No, this isn't what the
    Associated Press people use, but it'll do the job for you a LOT cheaper.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 16, 2011

  3. bostonroy

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 16/11/2011 06:08, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    > bostonroy<> writes:
    >
    >> Our student club would like to loan a camcorder and camera to
    >> volunteer student journalists.
    >> I'd like to get an idea of the cheapest equipment (available on the
    >> market): that would allow students to snap quality digital photos, and
    >> record HD footage.
    >>
    >> Would any other equipment be needed; such as lighting equipment?

    A sturdy tripod with a pan tilt head is useful for video work and they
    might want a couple of cheap collapseable light reflectors.

    >> Is there a single affordable high quality device on the market instead
    >> of buying both a digital camera and camcorder?

    > Nearly any modern digital camera also records video. Look at the
    > Panasonic super-zoom cameras, the smaller ones. No, this isn't what the
    > Associated Press people use, but it'll do the job for you a LOT cheaper.

    The OP does say whether they want full HD 1080p or whether 720p would do.
    There is a lot more choice if you choose the latter.

    --
    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Nov 16, 2011
  4. bostonroy

    Bruce Guest

    bostonroy <> wrote:

    >Our student club would like to loan a camcorder and camera to
    >volunteer student journalists.
    >I'd like to get an idea of the cheapest equipment (available on the
    >market): that would allow students to snap quality digital photos, and
    >record HD footage.
    >
    >Would any other equipment be needed; such as lighting equipment?
    >Is there a single affordable high quality device on the market instead
    >of buying both a digital camera and camcorder?

    There is a conflict between "cheapest equipment" and "high quality".
    Your available budget will decide your choice.

    There is no need to buy a camera and a camcorder because many digital
    still cameras shoot excellent video.

    For top quality HD 1080 video and 16 MP stills, the Panasonic LUMIX
    DMC-GH2 would be a very good choice. This takes interchangeable
    lenses and would cost $1200 with a 14-140mm zoom lens that is a superb
    choice for video, or $800 with a cheaper 14-42mm 'kit' lens.

    For a less expensive choice, I would suggest the Panasonic LUMIX
    DMC-ZS10. It doesn't have interchangeable lenses but the built-in
    zoom lens is very good. It would cost $300. The quality of still
    images and video is above average for a point and shoot camera, but
    not as good as the GH2 and 14-140mm lens.

    Prices are from B&H:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

    Bruce, Nov 16, 2011
  5. Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes:

    > On 16/11/2011 06:08, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    >> Nearly any modern digital camera also records video. Look at the
    >> Panasonic super-zoom cameras, the smaller ones. No, this isn't what the
    >> Associated Press people use, but it'll do the job for you a LOT cheaper.

    > The OP does say whether they want full HD 1080p or whether 720p would do.
    > There is a lot more choice if you choose the latter.

    Yeah, I was deliberately avoiding opening that can of worms, because
    really for that use 720p is fine. And I imagine that their budget is
    really not going to be wildly enthusiastic.

    I didn't make the argument for a Nikon D3s, either, although it's one of
    the two candidates for "ideal" product for that job.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 16, 2011
  6. On 11/16/11 PDT 9:19 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2011-11-16 11:52 , Frank S wrote:
    >>
    >> "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah, I was deliberately avoiding opening that can of worms, because
    >>> really for that use 720p is fine. And I imagine that their budget is
    >>> really not going to be wildly enthusiastic.
    >>>
    >>> I didn't make the argument for a Nikon D3s, either, although it's one of
    >>> the two candidates for "ideal" product for that job.

    >> Last night on the "news", Annie Liebovitz recommended a smart phone.

    Ugh. What a brat she is.

    > One hell of a successful photographer - but not a newsie nor a motion
    > shooter.

    A better promoter than photographer, too. Smart ass! (Her, not you, AB)

    John McWilliams, Nov 16, 2011
  7. "Frank S" <> writes:

    > "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message
    >> Martin Brown <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> writes:

    >>> The OP does say whether they want full HD 1080p or whether 720p would do.
    >>> There is a lot more choice if you choose the latter.

    >> Yeah, I was deliberately avoiding opening that can of worms, because
    >> really for that use 720p is fine. And I imagine that their budget is
    >> really not going to be wildly enthusiastic.
    >>
    >> I didn't make the argument for a Nikon D3s, either, although it's one of
    >> the two candidates for "ideal" product for that job.

    > Last night on the "news", Annie Liebovitz recommended a smart phone.

    For the job, maybe (ubiquitous citizens prepared to document what
    happens). For the exact case, no, because of the cost of the phone
    contract.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 16, 2011
  8. bostonroy

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 12:19:37 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >On 2011-11-16 11:52 , Frank S wrote:
    >>
    >> "David Dyer-Bennet" <> wrote in message

    >>> Yeah, I was deliberately avoiding opening that can of worms, because
    >>> really for that use 720p is fine. And I imagine that their budget is
    >>> really not going to be wildly enthusiastic.
    >>>
    >>> I didn't make the argument for a Nikon D3s, either, although it's one of
    >>> the two candidates for "ideal" product for that job.

    >> Last night on the "news", Annie Liebovitz recommended a smart phone.

    >One hell of a successful photographer - but not a newsie nor a motion
    >shooter.

    I'm amazed that she can afford a phone with a decent camera. She's in
    debt to the tune of some US$24 million or something like that.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 17, 2011
  9. bostonroy

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 17 Nov 2011 06:56:39 -0800, Savageduck
    <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

    >On 2011-11-17 06:29:44 -0800, George Kerby <> said:
    >

    >> On 11/17/11 1:58 AM, in article ,
    >> "tony cooper" <> wrote:

    >>> I'm amazed that she can afford a phone with a decent camera. She's in
    >>> debt to the tune of some US$24 million or something like that.
    >>>

    >> How the hell did that happen?

    >This is three year old news and the issue was settled a year ago.
    >As part of the agreement she retained the rights to her work. This is
    >another reason she is out on the book circuit with her latest book, and
    >the reason for her latest NBC interview.
    ><
    >http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2009/09/annie-leibovitzs-24m-loan-extended.html
    >>

    >< http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/09/annie-leibovitz-debt-deal >

    What is "settled" is to whom the money is owed. She still owes
    millions of dollars. The Guardian article says $15 million, but that
    was March, 2010. Debt totals have a way of growing, not declining.

    What's the monthly payment on $15 mil?

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Nov 17, 2011
  10. bostonroy

    bostonroy Guest

    On Nov 17, 11:05 am, George Kerby <> wrote:
    > On 11/17/11 8:56 AM, in article
    > 2011111706563911967-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, "Savageduck"
    >

    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    > > On 2011-11-17 06:29:44 -0800, George Kerby <> said:

    > >> How the hell did that happen?

    > > This is three year old news and the issue was settled a year ago.
    > > As part of the agreement she retained the rights to her work. This is
    > > another reason she is out on the book circuit with her latest book, and
    > > the reason for her latest NBC interview.
    > > <
    > >http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2009/09/annie-leibovitzs-24m-lo...
    > > ed.html

    > > <http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/mar/09/annie-leibovitz-debt-deal>

    > Looks like Jocks aren't the only financial dumbasses. Guess she'll have to
    > increase her day rate.

    Thanks a million for the informative feedback!
    We are researching the various camera suggestions.
    Much appreciated.

    bostonroy, Nov 21, 2011