MInimalist Bootup XP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Damos, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Damos

    Damos Guest

    When I boot up xp I end up with about 46 processes running including
    firewall, antivirus etc.

    If there a simple way of booting up the bare drivers such that when
    I'll playing games (offline) I have as many resources free as
    possible.

    Using AMD 2.2 512M ram Ti4600 XP(sp1) Creative audiology 2

    Damos

    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our
    critical faculties in steep decline, unable to distinguish between what
    right and what feels good, we slide, almost without noticing, into
    superstition and darkness."

    Carl Sagan.
    Damos, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Damos

    Jackson Guest

    "Damos" <> wrote in message
    > When I boot up xp I end up with about 46 processes running including
    > firewall, antivirus etc.
    >
    > If there a simple way of booting up the bare drivers such that when
    > I'll playing games (offline) I have as many resources free as
    > possible.

    Yep using a hardware profile.

    control panel/system/hardware/hardware profile

    Copy your existing profile, probably called "profile 1 (current)". Reboot
    your PC, select your new profile, sign into XP, open control panel, select
    administrative tools and select services. Disable whatever you dont want.

    Thanks about all there is too it.

    have a look at this web page

    http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm

    Jackson.
    Jackson, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Damos

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 15:29:11 +1200, Damos <> wrote:

    >When I boot up xp I end up with about 46 processes running including
    >firewall, antivirus etc.
    >
    >If there a simple way of booting up the bare drivers such that when
    >I'll playing games (offline) I have as many resources free as
    >possible.
    >

    >Using AMD 2.2 512M ram Ti4600 XP(sp1) Creative audiology 2
    >

    >Damos

    Yes many site has a list of the Services that can be turned off for playing
    Games..

    Have a look for Games tweaks for XP..

    Karen Parker, Sep 6, 2004