Miniature "widescreen" ripoff?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jack, Mar 23, 2006.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    I just rented "2010: The Year We Make Contact," which was billed as a 2-
    sided DVD with 4:3 (pan & scan) or widescreen options.

    I ended up watching the 4:3 side since the "widescreen" was only the width
    of the standard view with much less height. My DLP projector reveals every
    pixel so nothing gets downsampled or overlooked. On 4:3 TV sets people may
    not notice the difference if the "widescreen" version plays full width.
    Surely they aren't counting on that in most cases?

    This is a 116 minute movie and I don't know why they couldn't have stored a
    max-res widescreen version on one side, unless it has something to do with
    layer transparency/interference?

    I have seen "mini widescreen" on a few other cheap-label DVDs that I didn't
    expect to be high quality. I have also seen it used for intro titles,
    whereafter the movie switched to either true widescreen or 4:3. Is this a
    known scam of sorts?

    Jack

    Jack, Mar 23, 2006

  2. On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:08:50 -0600, Jack <> wrote:

    >I just rented "2010: The Year We Make Contact," which was billed as a 2-
    >sided DVD with 4:3 (pan & scan) or widescreen options.

    >I have seen "mini widescreen" on a few other cheap-label DVDs that I didn't
    >expect to be high quality. I have also seen it used for intro titles,
    >whereafter the movie switched to either true widescreen or 4:3. Is this a
    >known scam of sorts?

    I take it by 'mini-widescreen' you mean a 4:3 picture with a deep
    letterbox, as opposed to a 16:9 anamorphic picture with a shallow
    letterbox.

    A lot of these films came out in the early days of DVD, with
    distributors using older transfers of films that had originally been
    mastered for laserdisc. There's also a video compression argument, as
    the big black bars make the picture easier to compress than an
    anamorphic picture - I seem to remember this being used as an argument
    for 'The Abyss' also being 4:3 letterbox, as it's a very long film.

    I'd definitely re-buy 2010 if it was available in anamorphic with a
    decent new transfer!

    Steve

    The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
    http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

    Steve Roberts, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Jack

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:56:27 GMT, (Steve
    Roberts) Gave us:

    >On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 11:08:50 -0600, Jack <> wrote:
    >
    >>I just rented "2010: The Year We Make Contact," which was billed as a 2-
    >>sided DVD with 4:3 (pan & scan) or widescreen options.

    >>I have seen "mini widescreen" on a few other cheap-label DVDs that I didn't
    >>expect to be high quality. I have also seen it used for intro titles,
    >>whereafter the movie switched to either true widescreen or 4:3. Is this a
    >>known scam of sorts?

    >I take it by 'mini-widescreen' you mean a 4:3 picture with a deep
    >letterbox, as opposed to a 16:9 anamorphic picture with a shallow
    >letterbox.
    >
    >A lot of these films came out in the early days of DVD, with
    >distributors using older transfers of films that had originally been
    >mastered for laserdisc. There's also a video compression argument, as
    >the big black bars make the picture easier to compress than an
    >anamorphic picture - I seem to remember this being used as an argument
    >for 'The Abyss' also being 4:3 letterbox, as it's a very long film.
    >
    >I'd definitely re-buy 2010 if it was available in anamorphic with a
    >decent new transfer!

    GOOD answer!

    I too WILL re-buy 2010 if it gets re-done! DANGIT!

    Roy L. Fuchs, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Jack

    Richard C. Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    >I just rented "2010: The Year We Make Contact," which was billed as a 2-
    > sided DVD with 4:3 (pan & scan) or widescreen options.
    >
    > I ended up watching the 4:3 side since the "widescreen" was only the width
    > of the standard view with much less height. My DLP projector reveals every
    > pixel so nothing gets downsampled or overlooked. On 4:3 TV sets people may
    > not notice the difference if the "widescreen" version plays full width.
    > Surely they aren't counting on that in most cases?
    >
    > This is a 116 minute movie and I don't know why they couldn't have stored
    > max-res widescreen version on one side, unless it has something to do with
    > layer transparency/interference?
    >
    > I have seen "mini widescreen" on a few other cheap-label DVDs that I
    > didn't
    > expect to be high quality. I have also seen it used for intro titles,
    > whereafter the movie switched to either true widescreen or 4:3. Is this a
    > known scam of sorts?
    >
    > Jack

    ==================================
    Are you talking about "non-anamorphic" widescreen?
    If so, just zoom................
    Anamorphic is the only way to go, however.
    I do not understand why they even allowed non-anamorphic in the DVD
    standard.

    Richard C., Mar 23, 2006
  5. Jack

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:36:45 -0800, "Richard C."
    <> Gave us:

    >"Jack" <> wrote in message
    >>I just rented "2010: The Year We Make Contact," which was billed as a 2-
    >> sided DVD with 4:3 (pan & scan) or widescreen options.
    >>
    >> I ended up watching the 4:3 side since the "widescreen" was only the width
    >> of the standard view with much less height. My DLP projector reveals every
    >> pixel so nothing gets downsampled or overlooked. On 4:3 TV sets people may
    >> not notice the difference if the "widescreen" version plays full width.
    >> Surely they aren't counting on that in most cases?
    >>
    >> This is a 116 minute movie and I don't know why they couldn't have stored
    >> max-res widescreen version on one side, unless it has something to do with
    >> layer transparency/interference?
    >>
    >> I have seen "mini widescreen" on a few other cheap-label DVDs that I
    >> didn't
    >> expect to be high quality. I have also seen it used for intro titles,
    >> whereafter the movie switched to either true widescreen or 4:3. Is this a
    >> known scam of sorts?
    >>
    >> Jack

    >==================================
    >Are you talking about "non-anamorphic" widescreen?
    >If so, just zoom................
    >Anamorphic is the only way to go, however.
    >I do not understand why they even allowed non-anamorphic in the DVD
    >standard.

    T use the modern gang boy lingo...

    True dat.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Mar 23, 2006
  6. Jack

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Joshua Zyber, Mar 23, 2006
  7. In <> Roy L. Fuchs <> writes:

    > T use the modern gang boy lingo...

    >True dat.

    Well, well, well....

    In the post below, you state that "gang boy lingo" is retarded.

    btw: when are you getting the body piercings and tatoos?

    Oh yeah...stay on topic

    ob a.v.dvd - non-anamorphic is just a quick cash grab until the releasing
    studio can put together a "special edition" or "director's cut".

    From: Roy L. Fuchs
    Date: Mon, Feb 6 2006 12:48 pm
    Email: Roy L. Fuchs <>
    Groups: comp.os.linux.misc, alt.video.dvd, comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.advocacy, comp.lang.c

    This WAS once a discussion forum based on language in textual form,
    not some lame set of smiling or frowning character managerie.

    The next thing you'll be wanting me to do is to begin typing in that
    retarded mosh pit punk gang boy lingo as in:

    Begin stupid lazy gang boy graffiti lingo

    i noe U R stupid b cuz any1 can tell yada yada yada...

    End stupid lazy punk lingo...

    Sorry, it will never happen. You won't see me using weird
    characters in my nym either. I like plain english. Go figure.

    Next you'll be wanting me to get body piercings and tattoos.

    Colin McFadyen, Mar 24, 2006
  8. Jack

    Jack Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in news:gqGUf.9577
    $:

    > "Jack" <> wrote in message
    >>I just rented "2010: The Year We Make Contact," which was billed as a
    >>2-
    >> sided DVD with 4:3 (pan & scan) or widescreen options.

    > The 2010 DVD is non-anamorphic letterbox. Read this:
    >
    > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/welcome.html

    Good piece; I do understand the concept. It just seems odd not to offer a
    sci-fi special effects movie in true widescreen. I didn't read the fine
    print. BTW, the author of that article underestimated HD-DVD's public
    release by 4+ years. He ironically thought it would take until after 2010.

    Jack

    Jack, Mar 24, 2006