    as something I can put in a shirt pocket.

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland, USA
    James Silverton, Jan 23, 2006

  2. James Silverton

    ah2 Guest

    "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hello, All!
    >
    > A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of "miniature
    > camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as manufacturers stop
    > making film cameras. I wonder what "miniature camera" means to people now?
    > For myself, I tend to think of it as something I can put in a shirt
    > pocket.

    Whatever! Who cares? You can look at the freeking thing and decide for
    yourself.
    ah2, Jan 23, 2006

  3. James Silverton

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "ah2" <> wrote in message
    > "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> Hello, All!
    >>
    >> A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of
    >> "miniature camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as
    >> manufacturers stop making film cameras. I wonder what "miniature camera"
    >> means to people now? For myself, I tend to think of it as something I can
    >> put in a shirt pocket.

    > Whatever! Who cares? You can look at the freeking thing and decide for
    > yourself.

    That's not always true, some of us are insecure and need to be reassured.
    Something to do with our Mommies.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jan 23, 2006
  4. James Silverton

    Peter Irwin Guest

    James Silverton <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net> wrote:
    > Hello, All!
    >
    > A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of
    > "miniature camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as
    > manufacturers stop making film cameras. I wonder what "miniature
    > camera" means to people now? For myself, I tend to think of it
    > as something I can put in a shirt pocket.

    The standard definition was always a negative size of six
    square inches or less. This includes 6x6 cm but excludes
    6x9cm. It never had much to do with the physical size of the
    camera. A 9x12 cm KW Patent Etui when folded is smaller
    than many miniature cameras.

    You can use words anyway you like, but I don't think
    there is any need to revise the old Royal Photographic
    Society definition. Six square inches is as good a
    dividing line as any. Anything you come up with
    will be equally arbitrary.

    Peter.
    Peter Irwin, Jan 23, 2006
  5. James Silverton

    CeeBee Guest

    "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.net> wrote in
    rec.photo.digital:

    > For myself, I tend to think of it
    > as something I can put in a shirt pocket.

    I think it is a miniature camera if I can put it in my left nostril without
    accidentally pressing the shutter when I sneeze.

    --
    CeeBee

    *** The Cookie Has Spoken ***
    CeeBee, Jan 23, 2006
  6. James Silverton

    wilt Guest

    >>A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of
    "miniature camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as
    manufacturers stop making film cameras.<<

    'Miniature' referred to 35mm, 'subminiature' referred to 16mm. We also
    had 'half frame' for photos which divided 35mm frame in half (e.g.
    Olympus Pen). The term 'miniature' for format became a pointless term
    by the 60's. Now using the term 'miniature' for camera pocketability
    seems pointless, and we have terms like APS-C and 4/3 format to refer
    to the format size.
    wilt, Jan 23, 2006
  7. James Silverton wrote:
    > Hello, All!
    >
    > A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of
    > "miniature camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as
    > manufacturers stop making film cameras. I wonder what "miniature
    > camera" means to people now? For myself, I tend to think of it
    > as something I can put in a shirt pocket.
    >

    > James Silverton
    > Potomac, Maryland, USA

    I would say that sometime around the late '70's the term miniature was
    applied to 16 mm and smaller. Now like then there is no "official" meaning.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Jan 23, 2006
  8. James Silverton

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Joseph Meehan" <> writes:
    > I would say that sometime around the late '70's the term miniature was
    > applied to 16 mm and smaller. Now like then there is no "official" meaning.

    I always had heard miniature was 35mm. Anything smaller was
    "subminiature". Larger than miniature was "medium format", and larger
    than that is "large format".
    Paul Rubin, Jan 23, 2006
  9. Paul Rubin wrote:
    > "Joseph Meehan" <> writes:
    >> I would say that sometime around the late '70's the term
    >> miniature was applied to 16 mm and smaller. Now like then there is
    >> no "official" meaning.

    > I always had heard miniature was 35mm. Anything smaller was
    > "subminiature". Larger than miniature was "medium format", and larger
    > than that is "large format".

    Back in the '50's I also heard that 35 was miniature. When I first
    entered photography seriously there was not a 35mm in the studio, in fact
    there was not a 2¼ in the studio. 4X5 was small. 20x24 was large and 8X10
    and 5x7 were medium. :) We got our first 2¼ in the early 60's. C330 as I
    recall.
    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia duit
    Joseph Meehan, Jan 23, 2006
  10. James Silverton

    Ron Hunter Guest

    James Silverton wrote:
    > Hello, All!
    >
    > A recent thread indicated to me that the old film definition of
    > "miniature camera" as 35mm or less is in need of rethinking as
    > manufacturers stop making film cameras. I wonder what "miniature camera"
    > means to people now? For myself, I tend to think of it as something I
    > can put in a shirt pocket.
    >

    > James Silverton
    > Potomac, Maryland, USA

    I suppose one of those 'keychain cameras' would still qualify.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 24, 2006