    So what used to be a simple question,
    like - do you have a USB port... sure -
    now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.
    Phil Schuman, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Phil Schuman

    CSM1 Guest

    "Phil Schuman" <> wrote in message
    news:z6Txb.6562$...
    > A friend came over for the holidays,
    > and brought his Olympus D-520 digital camera.
    > After shooting some family shoits,
    > he later asked if I had a USB connection... sure -
    > Well - duh - let's really muddy the waters -
    > http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html
    >
    > So now we have USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
    > and the new crop of "mini" connectors
    > that don't really have a "name" for each version...
    >
    > So what used to be a simple question,
    > like - do you have a USB port... sure -
    > now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.

    Yes, it does on the camera end. The Computer end is the same.

    If one is to bring their camera, one must also bring their USB cable and
    their software installation CD when they come to a friend's house.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Phil Schuman

    Don B Guest

    CSM1 wrote:

    >"Phil Schuman" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>A friend came over for the holidays,
    >>and brought his Olympus D-520 digital camera.
    >>After shooting some family shoits,
    >>he later asked if I had a USB connection... sure -
    >>Well - duh - let's really muddy the waters -
    >>http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html
    >>
    >>So now we have USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
    >>and the new crop of "mini" connectors
    >>that don't really have a "name" for each version...
    >>
    >>So what used to be a simple question,
    >>like - do you have a USB port... sure -
    >>now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.
    >>

    >Yes, it does on the camera end. The Computer end is the same.
    >
    >If one is to bring their camera, one must also bring their USB cable and
    >their software installation CD when they come to a friend's house.

    The best way to do it is pick up a card reader such as Lexar's 7 in 1
    for about $30.00. It pretty much covers all of the bases.

    Don

    Don B, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Phil Schuman

    DHB Guest

    There is an easier & safer way to deal with this problem that should be
    considered. Purchasing a USB 2.0 multi-card reader for your computer might
    save you a lot of problems especially if your PC has USB 2.0.

    You may wish to consider 1 of the newer, USB 2.0, small multi-card
    readers such as the mew Lexar reviewed at the link below.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/lexar_mcr-usb2.html

    As the holidays approach it's becoming more common to see family &
    friends with digital cameras. Since everybody has different preferences
    it's very likely that the cameras they are using may have different types of
    memory than yours does. So if you purchase a multi-card reader like the 1
    above as I did from Wal-Mart for about $28, you will be able to share
    pictures or even other DATA directly between cards right then & there
    without having to install drivers that might cause conflicts on your PC.
    Don't know about you but I never travel with my camera's software CDs.

    The review explains the utility of such a reader so I won't reinvent the
    wheel here. Just thought I would offer this suggestion since these readers
    are not much more expensive than a single type card reader.

    Just me 2 cents worth which I hope somebody may fine of value.

    Respectfully, DHB

    DHB, Nov 29, 2003
  5. Phil Schuman

    Charlie Self Guest

    erimies asks:

    >>Yes, it does on the camera end. The Computer end is the same.
    >>
    >>If one is to bring their camera, one must also bring their USB cable and
    >>their software installation CD when they come to a friend's house.

    >whatever happened to plug and play?

    Talk to the camera makers. My Minolta 7i was a direct plug and play through a
    Lexar reader, but it also worked with the USB cable off the camera, in two
    computers. The USB cable is different on the camera end than others I've had.
    the programs may differ, too. You may need a disc if you're using a computer
    that doesn't have XP. And you will need a disc if you want to deal with RAW
    files on another computer.

    Charlie Self

    "Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the
    pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken
    Charlie Self, Nov 30, 2003
  6. Phil Schuman

    someone Guest

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:43:00 GMT, "CSM1" <> posted:

    someone, Nov 30, 2003
  7. On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:02:07 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    <> wrote:

    >So now we have USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
    >and the new crop of "mini" connectors
    >that don't really have a "name" for each version...
    >
    >So what used to be a simple question,
    >like - do you have a USB port... sure -
    >now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.

    I had no idea they had so many mini connectors. The ones on the left
    of that page are the only ones I've played with. I agree it's stupid
    and confusing. I think the others might be proprietary versions.
    ThermosBoy (TM), Nov 30, 2003
  8. Phil Schuman

    Aardvark Guest

    "someone" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:43:00 GMT, "CSM1"

    <> posted:
    > >"Phil Schuman" <> wrote in

    message
    > >> So what used to be a simple question,
    > >> like - do you have a USB port... sure -
    > >> now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.

    There are 2 standard physical USB connectors at the device end -
    the normal USB "B" ( "A" is the end that goes to the PC ) and
    the mini-USB. Both are available for USB 1.x and 2.0, and are
    used on many devices, including digital wallets, printers, etc.
    Many camera manufactures use their own version of the USB plug
    on the camera end ( eg, Minolta ). Some, like Canon, use the
    standard mini USB plug. Almost all are USB 1.1. The end that
    plugs into the computer is the same ("A") regardless.

    Simple solution : buy a card reader. A SD/CF/MS/SM card reader
    is around US$20-30. Cheaper, faster, and easier than fiddling
    with cables.
    Aardvark, Nov 30, 2003
  9. Phil Schuman

    Donald Gray Guest

    Camera USB ports (was: mini USB cable chaos)

    On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:02:07 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    <> wrote:

    []
    #
    >http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html

    I have been looking for an economical place to buy a Nikon type mini
    usb - thanks...

    I am interested in making up a simple release cable, either by adding
    on switches or a small amount of electronics. The camera in question
    is the 5700.

    I have the pinouts. The main problem is that I do not know the usb
    protocols. Can anyone help.

    (I have experience in writing assembler & VB s/w for i/o using serial
    and parallel ports, but know b.a. about usb 1 or 2)

    Pointers anyone? Thanks
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Nov 30, 2003
  10. Phil Schuman

    CSM1 Guest

    Re: Camera USB ports (was: mini USB cable chaos)

    "Donald Gray" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:02:07 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > []
    > #
    > >http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html
    > >

    > I have been looking for an economical place to buy a Nikon type mini
    > usb - thanks...
    >
    > I am interested in making up a simple release cable, either by adding
    > on switches or a small amount of electronics. The camera in question
    > is the 5700.
    >
    > I have the pinouts. The main problem is that I do not know the usb
    > protocols. Can anyone help.
    >
    > (I have experience in writing assembler & VB s/w for i/o using serial
    > and parallel ports, but know b.a. about usb 1 or 2)
    >
    > Pointers anyone? Thanks
    > --
    > Donald Gray
    > Putting ODCOMBE on the Global Village Map!
    > www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    > You do not have to email me, but if you wish to...
    > Please remove the SafetyPin from my email address first
    > Thanks

    Usb specs are here.
    http://www.usb.org/home

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
    CSM1, Nov 30, 2003
  11. Phil Schuman

    Donald Gray Guest

    Re: Camera USB ports (was: mini USB cable chaos)

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:48:41 GMT, "CSM1" <>
    wrote:

    >"Donald Gray" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:02:07 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> []
    >> #
    >> >http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html
    >> >

    >> I have been looking for an economical place to buy a Nikon type mini
    >> usb - thanks...
    >>
    >> I am interested in making up a simple release cable, either by adding
    >> on switches or a small amount of electronics. The camera in question
    >> is the 5700.
    >>
    >> I have the pinouts. The main problem is that I do not know the usb
    >> protocols. Can anyone help.
    >>
    >> (I have experience in writing assembler & VB s/w for i/o using serial
    >> and parallel ports, but know b.a. about usb 1 or 2)
    >>
    >> Pointers anyone? Thanks
    >> --
    >> Donald Gray
    >> Putting ODCOMBE on the Global Village Map!
    >> www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    >> You do not have to email me, but if you wish to...
    >> Please remove the SafetyPin from my email address first
    >> Thanks

    >Usb specs are here.
    >http://www.usb.org/home

    thanks - however, I could not find anything about the protocols -
    maybe I missed it. All I want to do is to be able to use a cable to
    fire take a photo remotely - using push button, pir, timers and
    Laptop. I know I can buy a commercial units but I am interested in
    home brew interface.

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Nov 30, 2003
  12. Re: Camera USB ports (was: mini USB cable chaos)

    In article <>, Donald Gray
    <> wrote:

    > I am interested in making up a simple release cable, either by adding
    > on switches or a small amount of electronics. The camera in question
    > is the 5700.
    >
    > I have the pinouts. The main problem is that I do not know the usb
    > protocols. Can anyone help.
    >
    > (I have experience in writing assembler & VB s/w for i/o using serial
    > and parallel ports, but know b.a. about usb 1 or 2)
    >
    > Pointers anyone?

    You want to do the remote release by USB right?

    USB is not a simple protocol which lends it self to getting a simple
    I/O port out of it, think of it more like a network. You need a device
    to actually talk to, which has the I/O ports on it. There are several
    devices you can buy which provide you with general perpose I/O pins.

    I've used the USB-I2C/IO from DevaSys <http://www.devasys.com/>.
    Programming that is trivial on a Mac, I've never tried it on a PC.

    There's also the I/O-Warrior from Codemercs <http://www.codemercs.com>,
    they're closer to you (being from Germany) but I've never actually
    programmed one.

    If you want to talk USB programming, the USB-if has a very useful forum
    at <http://www.usb.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1>.

    --
    Barry
    <http://www.netbox.com/barry>
    Barry Twycross, Dec 2, 2003
  13. Phil Schuman

    Donald Gray Guest

    Re: Camera USB ports (was: mini USB cable chaos)

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 07:23:10 GMT, Barry Twycross <>
    wrote:

    >[[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
    > the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
    >
    >In article <>, Donald Gray
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> I am interested in making up a simple release cable, either by adding
    >> on switches or a small amount of electronics. The camera in question
    >> is the 5700.
    >>
    >> I have the pinouts. The main problem is that I do not know the usb
    >> protocols. Can anyone help.
    >>
    >> (I have experience in writing assembler & VB s/w for i/o using serial
    >> and parallel ports, but know b.a. about usb 1 or 2)
    >>
    >> Pointers anyone?

    >You want to do the remote release by USB right?
    >
    >USB is not a simple protocol which lends it self to getting a simple
    >I/O port out of it, think of it more like a network. You need a device
    >to actually talk to, which has the I/O ports on it. There are several
    >devices you can buy which provide you with general perpose I/O pins.
    >
    >I've used the USB-I2C/IO from DevaSys <http://www.devasys.com/>.
    >Programming that is trivial on a Mac, I've never tried it on a PC.
    >
    >There's also the I/O-Warrior from Codemercs <http://www.codemercs.com>,
    >they're closer to you (being from Germany) but I've never actually
    >programmed one.
    >
    >If you want to talk USB programming, the USB-if has a very useful forum
    >at <http://www.usb.org/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=1>.

    Thanks Barry - just the lead and clue I needed. I realise that it is
    not just a closing of a switch because of the 'data' lines of usb. I
    have googled usb but unable to filter the signals from the noise.

    Regards

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Dec 2, 2003
  14. Phil Schuman

    Samuel Paik Guest

    Donald Gray <> wrote:
    > >Usb specs are here.
    > >http://www.usb.org/home

    > thanks - however, I could not find anything about the protocols -
    > maybe I missed it. All I want to do is to be able to use a cable to
    > fire take a photo remotely - using push button, pir, timers and
    > Laptop. I know I can buy a commercial units but I am interested in
    > home brew interface.

    http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

    However, USB is not a trivial spec.

    You might want to start by looking in the USB code for Linux
    or BSD instead of starting from scratch.

    Sam
    Samuel Paik, Dec 3, 2003